• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruskin Great Tomato Cook-off

annecros

Ruskin, Florida is of course famous for tomatoes. The Tomato Festival is one I have been pining to attend. As the patron saint of lost causes, I find Ruskin, Florida and its history to be especially shiny and attractive.

Well, I've always thought I could compete in a cook-off. This seems to be a good starter competition. Not too many entries, I could probably slide in under the wire. I've got three dozen heirloom tomato plants started, and plan on starting more over the growing season (almost year around down here) but I need a recipe that will knock the socks off.

I make a great salsa, but intuition tells me that everyone will do that. Have an email in to the organizers about criteria, but was able to dig up this little blurb:

A tomato cookoff is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Sunday. The best tomato recipe will earn the winner $100. Register at the Porch Cafe and Tea Room at 102 W Shell Point Road, the Ruskin Chamber of Commerce, the Ruskin Library or at the Bread Stand at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. You can slice 'em, dice 'em, mash 'em or mush 'em, but all recipes must include fresh tomatoes.

Found at Bradon Times.

Eh, chump change. But then there is all that glory.

Gazpacho? Killer gazpacho, maybe?

Any thoughts out there? I know I can count on you guys, and I have until May to figure it out and play.

I don't see why not Kerry. A great chutney may just win the day!

I'm getting a bit silly, and excited about this. Sort of like Christmas.

I always overdo Christmas. Mission and all that. :biggrin:

anne-

how about using this recipe - unless you need a cold recipe.

Tomato Rice soup

Submitted by: suzilightning

Keywords: Soup, Vegetarian, Intermediate, Vegetables

Servings: 4 as a soup

5 large tomatoes peeled, cut in half and seeded

2 T olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 carrot, diced

1/4 c Arborio rice

4 c hot vegetable stock

2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp white pepper

2 sprigs flat leaf parsley

2 sprigs thyme

Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish

Peel the tomatoes with a vegetable peeler. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise; scoop the seeds into a strainer set over a bowl. Chop the tomato pulp and set aside. When all the tomatoes are seeded and cored stir the seeds in the strainer to get as much liquid out as possible; discard the seeds.

Heat the vegetable stock in a pot.

Heat the olive oil in a heavy pot. Add onion and carrots, sweat until the onion is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until coated with the oil. Add the tomatoes and stir. Add the tomato water, hot stock, sugar, salt and pepper, parsley sprigs and thyme. Bring almost to a boil then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

Remove the herb sprigs. Recheck for seasonings. Serve with parsley garnish.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

That tomato soup looks great, and is something I will cook for myself when my toms come in, but the Festival is the first week in Many, and the USDA zone is 10. I looked up the average high for May for Ruskin, and its 87 degrees! :shock:

We are zone 10 as well, and sometimes we even see low 90s in May. That's why I was thinking something cold.

Maybe even a gazpacho aspic? Afraid that might melt, though.

How about a tomato jam? It's pretty unusual but very tasty as a condiment to accompany a pork tenderloin.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog