• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Oyster cakes

Fugu

I've followed the Joong/Jongzi-Sticky Rice/Bamboo Leaves, Home Cooking Series 63I with my mouth watering, so I know this is the place to ask for tips in Chinese cookery.

I was introduced to oyster cakes by a good friend, a Chinese Chef. I presume it is a Chinese dish since he serves this in his restaurant. I've had similar dishes in Thailand and Hong Kong, some were greasy, some were great. I tried watching them prepare this at a fast food stall but I am not sure what type of starch they use before adding the eggs to the oyster mix. My friend told me he uses potato starch or yam starch but he may just be keeping the recipe a secret since we do try to steal techinques from each other?

Can someone please help me with this recipe.

Do you mean like the Thai hoy tod? (warning, the link is a video with cheesy music...)

If it's like hoy tod, my friend gave me a recipe which made hoy tod that was close to the kind of hoy tod I like (kind of chewy, but crispy). I used tapioca starch instead of cornstarch, because I thought it would give me more of the chewiness I wanted.

Batter

3tbs  All purpose flour

3tbs  Corn Starch (or tapioca starch, if you have)

1/2 cup  Water

1 tsp  Salt

There's no egg in the batter. A lightly scrambled egg is added to the pancake after it has started cooking (when the bottom is already slightly crispy).

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Do you mean like the Thai hoy tod?  (warning, the link is a video with cheesy music...)

If it's like hoy tod, my friend gave me a recipe which made hoy tod that was close to the kind of hoy tod I like (kind of chewy, but crispy).  I used tapioca starch instead of cornstarch, because I thought it would give me more of the chewiness I wanted.

Batter

3tbs  All purpose flour

3tbs  Corn Starch (or tapioca starch, if you have)

1/2 cup  Water

1 tsp  Salt

There's no egg in the batter. A lightly scrambled egg is added to the pancake after it has started cooking (when the bottom is already slightly crispy).

Cool street food video, thanks! Yes, it looks similar but the ones I had were like omlettes, the egg was on the outside and layered(folded). The Thai version looks yummy though, I'll try that. Thanks again, Prasantrin.

Aprimei, regular sized oysters were used in all the dishes I've tried but I'd love to take a peek at your "chiu chow dish" recipe. Thanks.

The Chiu Chow style oyster omlette usually uses small oysters. I have seen many regular Cantonese style restaurants in the US offering this dish using regular size (kind of big) oysters. Maybe because small oysters are not easily available.

The eggs are mixed in with some flour (and some cornstarch kind of) I think. First mix the flour mixture with water, then fold in the eggs. Then use this mixture to make the omlette.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 3 weeks later...

There's a Foochow (the capital of Fujian province) version of this dish that dispenses with cornstarch. It is basically an oyster omelette employing mini oysters or sometimes, goose barnacles (Balanidae). Other ingredients include scallions (spring onions) and water chestnuts. This dish is cooked by pouring 4-5 lightly beaten eggs into a lightly-oiled pan/wok. The mini oysters, scallions (chopped) and water chestnuts (chopped or thinly sliced) are sprinkled in. Once the underside is done and depending on the size of your pan/wok and forearms, it is possible to flip the omelette over with one mighty toss of the wok. A safer option would be to turn the omelette over with a ladle with the attendant risk that your omelette might fracture and end up looking like a jigsaw puzzle.

I tried watching them prepare this at a fast food stall but I am not sure what type of starch they use before adding the eggs to the oyster mix. My friend told me he uses potato starch or yam starch but he may just be keeping the recipe a secret since we do try to steal techinques from each other?

Can someone please help me with this recipe.

I think your friend is telling the truth; it's sweet potato flour. Recipe, including advice on the best flour:

http://www.makantime.com/mom7.htm

Small oysters are essential. The best oyster omelette I've ever had used tiny Korean oysters.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 1 year later...