• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Ryokan - Onsen - Inn Online Review

shinju

Walker Plus (or their printed equivalents) is where Hiromi often starts. I think they don't really write unflattering reviews, but it's certainly an useful resource.

I think most ryokan serve regional specialties. However, the quality varies widely, and doesn't always correspond to price... I'm not sure I've seen any reviews other than from people I know which are reliable indicators of the food part of the picture at a ryokan.

What are good online sites for ryokan/onsen review and reservation in Japanese and or English?  Those specializing in regional or quality food is most appreciated.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Thank you Jason for the info. The Walker Plus looks like fun site and will be using it.

Thank you also Artal. I also like Japanguesthouse and have used it several times with excellent results. But, it is still limited in scope and wish there were more web sites where people outside of Japan can readily review ryokan/onsen and be able to make reservations online.

I take group of friends and relatives from US to Japan at least once a year - I have more people who are interested in going than I can comfortably take at one time. Although it's fun to show them Japan, especially for the first time visitors, it's not easy making reservations outside of Japan. I enjoy taking them to ryokan with quality food offerings and it's been hit and miss so far.

I've used http://www.ryokan.or.jp/ to look for ryokan in specific areas (both English and Japanese options), but they don't have reviews nor do they book (as far as I can tell). They do direct you to each ryokan's individual website, and they have basic information (price of rooms, etc).

I like that, for example, in Kyoto I can specify which "ku" I want to stay in, and the site will only show the ryokan in that area.