• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chimichuri sauce

I partially catered a beach wedding for 300 pax more a few years ago. I was asked to cater the hors d'oeuvres portion, the salads, breads and several BBQ grills for lobster, chicken and ribs.

The host, from Argentina, brought some of his gauchos to man the carne asados, open firepit, by the water's edge, with a 2 bed springs in the middle as the grill. Around the firepit were 4 butterflied whole lamb on 5ft tall metal steaks and they were spike driven into the ground facing the fire pit. On the bedspring , whole tenderloins and striploins were being roasted along with some sausages I am not familiar with. They served a vat of chimichuri that I have not been able to duplicate yet.

It may have been the champagne or the ambience that made this sauce fantastic but I can't seem to make the same sauce even with the limited number of ingredients this sauce calls for. Could someone share their favorite vaersion of this chimichuri.

This recipe from Williams-Sonoma may not be what you are looking for, but it is very good.

Chimichurri Sauce

Ingredients:

3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

3 TBS. chopped fresh cilantro

6 garlic cloves, chopped

1/3 cup red wine vinegar

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 tsps. salt

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

In a bowl whisk together all ingredients. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to four hours. Bring to room temperature before serving. Makes 1 cup.

Try this recipe. We really like it.

Chimichurri

6-8 cloves garlic

2 cups parsley

½ cup cilantro

2 Tbs thyme

2 Tbs rosemary

2 bay leaves

1 tsp black pepper

½ tsp red pepper

¾ cup vinegar

¾ cup olive oil

½ tsp salt

Combine in food processor

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

see this old thread

No cilantro in traditional Argie recipes, the herb is practically unknown in traditional local cuisine.

Thank you for that link and everyone's recipes. I did Google chimichuri and only came up with 2 links to egullet. Interresting old thread, I will try those recipes. Based on that link, I think my problem is I don't age it long enough? I make the sauce and use it within the same day.

Thank you for that link and everyone's recipes. I did Google chimichuri and only came up with 2 links to egullet. Interresting old thread, I will try those recipes. Based on that link, I think my problem is I don't age it long enough? I make the sauce and use it within the same day.

Perhaps a Google search using a spelling of chimichurri will help? (note the double "r"'s) :smile:

• 1 year later...
I partially catered a beach wedding for 300 pax more a few years ago. I was asked to cater the hors d'oeuvres portion, the salads, breads and several BBQ grills for lobster, chicken and ribs.

The host, from Argentina, brought some of his gauchos to man the carne asados, open firepit, by the water's edge, with a 2 bed springs in the middle as the grill. Around the firepit were 4 butterflied whole lamb on 5ft tall metal steaks and they were spike driven into the ground facing the fire pit. On the bedspring , whole tenderloins and striploins were being roasted along with some sausages I am not familiar with. They served a vat of chimichuri that I have not been able to duplicate yet.

It may have been the champagne or the ambience that made this sauce fantastic but I can't seem to make the same sauce even with the limited number of ingredients this sauce calls for. Could someone share their favorite vaersion of this chimichuri.

Fugu - I just posted two recipes on the other thread on chimichurris in this section, check it out.