• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feenie out of Lumiere and Feenie's

Anchoress

I've often heard that Lumiere was not much of a money maker (even before the $1.2M kitchen upgrade). Feenie's yes, Lumiere not so much.

I (again) hear that is fairly common, that the hautest of fine dining joints run on a thin edge between red and black. Product costs, hardware, wages etc. run much higher.

Anyone walking away from 10 years of their blood sweat and tears is sad, but that Rob cannot use the "Feenie's" brand anymore is the really bizarre twist of fate (and Neil don't give me the McDonalds argument).

I thought it was interesting about the feenies thing. Because this is a guy who has a bankable name, and he cannot use it now.

The McDonalds brothers sold McDonalds, they were getting out. Much like Vera's sold to me, they were done with the business.

Rob Feenie, not so much. I was surprised that in any deal made he would not have protected his namesake restaurant at least, in so far as if he left or was dismissed.

It would be akin to trotter leaving trotters, or mossiman leaving mossimans, doesn't feel right Going to petes bar and grill with no pete.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

I think that it kinda sucks for Dale, because normally a chef of his reputable resume talents would be admired but to be hired in the middle of all the hoop-la press and negativity overshadows his talents. Now if he was hired to open a totally new restaurant in town then that would be a totally different story, the welcoming for him would be a bit more hospitable. Does that make any sense? sorry for my rambling. =)

I think that it kinda sucks for Dale, because normally a chef of his reputable resume talents would be admired but to be hired in the middle of all the hoop-la press and negativity overshadows his talents.  Now if he was hired to open a totally new restaurant in town then that would be a totally different story, the welcoming for him would be a bit more hospitable. Does that make any sense? sorry for my rambling. =)

I think you mean that people who are loyal to Rob Feenie or put off by the drama going on will be less likely to dine at Feenie's/Lumiere under Mackay's leadership, so they won't get to sample what he's capable of doing. I think that's a very valid point.

People who are also more interested in name value ("I dined at Rob Feenie's place"-type people) would also be less likely to dine there now, too.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is talking to Rob, let him know I am looking for a chef at the 9 room backcountry lodge we manage in K-Country, AB, especially if he wants to get away from all the hubbub in Vancouver -haha! Only have good things to say about him from dining at his restaurants, and having him shoot his Christmas special at The Wick when I was Chef Concierge their. Business is business however and as they say - shit happens. I think we all know we will be hearing again from him very soon - hey who knows, maybe at Mount Engadine Lodge!

• 2 months later...
Chef Rob Feenie to head Cactus Club kitchens
Chef Rob Feenie has ended his brief sojourn in the restaurant desert and signed up with the Cactus Club Café chain.

"Food concept architect" ??

I have two degrees in English and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. And it makes me think of euphemisms like "sanitation engineer" which make me grumpy. :hmmm::angry:

Yikes, Feenie really sold out on this one. The power of the dollar!

What are you gonna do? If you have star power, issues with former partners still to be resolved, and a pregnant wife I bet you'd do the same to pay the bills if someone offered you a fat cheque.

What interests me more is whether it makes any difference in the food. I don't recall that any of the former big name chefs who have signed on with Earls etc. have really made any difference in the menus. (Am I wrong?)

It seems it's more about bragging rights for the chains and the hit of publicity that they will get vs any real thought that the food will evolve or markedly improve.

Chef Rob Feenie has ended his brief sojourn in the restaurant desert and signed up with the Cactus Club Café chain.

I have two degrees in English and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. And it makes me think of euphemisms like "sanitation engineer" which make me grumpy. :hmmm::angry:

The job title is silly but he needs a paycheque like everyone else.

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The job title is silly but he needs a paycheque like everyone else.

No argument with that logic but still hatin' on the title babble.

Yikes, Feenie really sold out on this one. The power of the dollar!

What are you gonna do? If you have star power, issues with former partners still to be resolved, and a pregnant wife I bet you'd do the same to pay the bills if someone offered you a fat cheque.

What interests me more is whether it makes any difference in the food. I don't recall that any of the former big name chefs who have signed on with Earls etc. have really made any difference in the menus. (Am I wrong?)

It seems it's more about bragging rights for the chains and the hit of publicity that they will get vs any real thought that the food will evolve or markedly improve.

eatrustic, I concur. A few friends were having this conversation yesterday, and we came to the conclusion (I think) that there is very little Rob can bring to the CC table. What does he bring that Noble couldn't do at Earls or Julian Bond at CC (remember that revolutionary burger)?

Rob is a great cook, no doubts, but he is not going to say improve the efficiencies of the kitchens or even necessarily give the menu any greater appeal. Certainly he will not give it a broader appeal. There is a reason there are 18 CC's and 1 Feenie's (aside from the oft predicted 2nd location in Burnaby, no, Toronto). I would venture that in general, and definitely outside of the City of Vancouver, the "Cactus Club" brand has more recognition power than name "Rob Feenie."

That said, I hope that the no competition clause with the Sidoos (if any) expires after a short period of time and Rob gets back into his own kitchen somewhere in the city.

I think it's sad for all cooks and chefs when someone of Rob Feenie's reputation and calibre needs to worry about money. This should be a lesson to all the apprentices out there. Get out, while you are still young. I hear accounting pays very well! :raz:

-- Matt.

I think it's sad for all cooks and chefs when someone of Rob Feenie's reputation and calibre needs to worry about money.  This should be a lesson to all the apprentices out there.  Get out, while you are still young.  I hear accounting pays very well!  :raz:

-- Matt.

Strait up, I know plenty of cooks who are making very good money (and while I wouldn't say I'm making great money, I'm making more than enough to survive, and more than many of my friends in the business world). And I also know plenty of chef/owners who are making big money, retiring early, driving fancy cars, etc.... Feenie has his own issues, people in the industry know whats up.

But anyhow, the money is there in the industry. You just need to know how to go get it.

Yes! :laugh:

Cooking up north in a diamond/gold mine.

Lots of money-- $100,000 a year

But there is a trade off- more money no art.

Art in money far and few between- funny though many other professionals leaving their occupation to be a cook.

I guess it is about the love to cook but I have not met too many industry people who became rich from cooking, they were rich before.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook