• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dogs in Phoenix

Ted's Hot Dogs

480) 968-6678

1755 E Broadway Rd

Tempe, AZ

I think the top dog in town can be had at Ted's (though a close second is Nogales Hot Dog, so wrong but so right), though the Brats, white hots and all the other encased meats are pretty darn good too.

gallery_30892_5347_232829.jpg

welcome to the lunch line...this is the longest that I have ever seen it

gallery_30892_5347_190076.jpg

gallery_30892_5347_542727.jpg

gallery_30892_5347_590593.jpg

gallery_30892_5347_695681.jpg

gallery_30892_5347_919258.jpg

gallery_30892_5347_529069.jpg

Batter Up

gallery_30892_5347_477792.jpg

Polish and fries

gallery_30892_5347_1090877.jpg

Dog-n-fixins...corn dog...onion rings

other contenders...Luke's...Chicago Hamburger Company????

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Very nice pictures! I live in N.J. and have never been to Ted's, but I have had Sahlen's franks which is what they use there. It is a very high quality beef and pork dog, definitely in my top 5. It has a slight peppery flavor and is great char broiled, which is how they're prepared at Ted's.

John the hot dog guy

The White Hot with a Loganberry drink makes me a very happy girl. I haven't found another dog outside Ted's in the Phx area, aside from the Costco Polish, that I like. I tried a Chicago style dog place in Mesa, but is was "meh".

The hotdogs from Stanley's Sausage on McDowell are soooo good, but I bought a bunch for home cooking. I think they serve them hot as part of their sandwich menu. Maybe that's a contender for a shot at the title. Their brats are the best I've ever had also.

(edited to answer my own speculation)

Yep, they do have it on the sandwich menu.

#13 Double Natural Skin Hot Dogs Mustard, tomato and onions. HEATED $ 3.10

Edited by lemniscate (log)

The White Hot with a Loganberry drink makes me a very happy girl.  I haven't found another dog outside Ted's in the Phx area, aside from the Costco Polish, that I like.  I tried a Chicago style dog place in Mesa, but is was "meh". 

The hotdogs from Stanley's Sausage on McDowell are soooo good, but I bought  a bunch for home cooking.  I think they serve them hot as part of their sandwich menu.  Maybe that's a contender for a shot at the title.  Their brats are the best I've ever had also.

(edited to answer my own speculation)

Yep, they do have it on the sandwich menu.

#13 Double Natural Skin Hot Dogs Mustard, tomato and onions.  HEATED  $ 3.10

Who's Brats did you like...Stanley's?? Have you ever tried the Brats from Schriener's?

Who's Brats did you like...Stanley's?? Have you ever tried the Brats from Schriener's?

Yeah, I really prefer Stanley's. Schriener's has been "the" Brat in Phx for decades and they are good. I even tried the Pork Shop's brats and I like Stanley's better. But I just realized I've never tried the Brat at Ted's. I will rectify that situation post haste.

Stanley's also makes me happy because they carry "cottage hams" which were the bastion of the Polish easter breakfast in Hamtramck.

Yeah, I really prefer Stanley's.  Schriener's has been "the" Brat in Phx for decades and they are good.  I even tried the Pork Shop's brats and I like Stanley's better.  But I just realized I've never tried the Brat at Ted's.  I will rectify that situation post haste.

Stanley's also makes me happy because they carry "cottage hams" which were the bastion of the Polish easter breakfast in Hamtramck.

I will have to give Stanley's Brats a try...Ted's used to carry Schriener's brats, I am not sure that is currently the case because they used to have a sign saying the Brats were Schrieners but that is not up anymore?

I visited Ted's for the first time last night. Had an order of White Hots, Onion Rings, and loganberry drink.

Loved the sausage and rings but I didn't care for the bun.

Next up, The Bratwurst (or Polish Sausage) and Fries.

Is there another place compared to Ted's that offers more choices when it comes to different flavored dogs like top dog?

http://www.topdoghotdogs.com/

I visited Ted's for the first time last night.  Had an order of White Hots, Onion Rings, and loganberry drink. 

Is there another place compared to Ted's that offers more choices when it comes to different flavored dogs like top dog?

If you want a great bun...try Nogales Hot Dog a cart that sets up in the parking lot at Indian School and 20th st every night after 7. The fixins', well nothing like I have had before and after being raised on char-dogs in Chicago, most definitely taboo. BUT go for it...bacon wrapped dog with choice of mayo, beans, guacamole, cheddar, pickled jalapenos, diced tomato, tomatillo salsa, habenero salsa, cilantro, and sliced mushrooms. I go with mayo, beans, guac, onion, tomato and cheddar.

I visited Ted's for the first time last night.  Had an order of White Hots, Onion Rings, and loganberry drink. 

If you want a great bun...try Nogales Hot Dog a cart that sets up in the parking lot at Indian School and 20th st every night after 7. The fixins', well nothing like I have had before and after being raised on char-dogs in Chicago, most definitely taboo. BUT go for it...bacon wrapped dog with choice of mayo, beans, guacamole, cheddar, pickled jalapenos, diced tomato, tomatillo salsa, habenero salsa, cilantro, and sliced mushrooms. I go with mayo, beans, guac, onion, tomato and cheddar.

Cool. The ole Mexican Hot Dog. I read in Men's Health that it's one of the things you need to eat to shorten your life. :wink:

But they taste so gooood  :wacko:

I've tried a similar hot dog from Da Chicago Hot Dog on Thomas and 47th(?) St. The bun tends to get soggy. If they protect the bun by filling the cheese around the inside of the bun first, I think it will work better.

Edited by Greystreet (log)

But they taste so gooood  :wacko:

I've tried a similar hot dog from Da Chicago Hot Dog on Thomas and 47th(?) St. The bun tends to get soggy. If they protect the bun by filling the cheese around the inside of the bun first, I think it will work better.

Never had that problem at Nogales Hot Dog, I liked their bun and asked them who made it but they claimed it to be a trade secret.

Never had that problem at Nogales Hot Dog, I liked their bun and asked them who made it but they claimed it to be a trade secret.

The hot dogs are deep fried, aren't they?

I'll check them out some time this week.

no the dogs are not deep fried

no the dogs are not deep fried

Got off work past 8pm last night and drove by Indian School and 20th St. Picked up 2 dogs with tomatoes, onions, white cheese, guac and salsa. Dogs were good but on the salty side. Going back to Ted's soon.

No beans, no bacon?

no mayo either...I know it sounds wrong but you must order it their way

oh my bad. the lady slathered tons of mayo on my dogs. I could still feel my arteries palpitating.

good :wacko: