• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scallops revisited: Test kitchen complete

foodcyclist

gallery_56555_5345_657882.jpgRecently, I posted a thread about an upcoming 5 course meal planned where the 2nd course was to be scallops. I posted some test kitchen results and received back some valuable feedback. The following is the result of a couple sessions in the kitchen with a couple different outcomes. I took the comments from my posts and came up with the following: Scallops two ways... Hot and angry Scallops ( A la David Burke) with Chili oil, Balsamic reduction and Basil chips... Also, Savory Scallops. Parsnip puree' with basil oil and Thyme garnish. I decided to go with a 'two way' course as I was so torn between the two versions and the portions were so small I figured 'why not'?. Anyway... Thanks to all for the advice and input. I hope the dinner is as successful as I'd envisioned..

Steve

While the two look great on the plate together, I see two problems.

First: The portions are too big for a second course in a 5 course meal.

Second: While each may be great on its own, you risk a chance of the flavors fighting one another (real or otherwise perceived by the guests).

I'd serve one and save the other for another occasion.

Edited by ChefCrash (log)

While the two look great on the plate together, I see two problems.

First: The portions are too big for a second course in a 5 course meal.

Second: While each may be great on its own, you risk a chance of the flavors fighting one another (real or otherwise perceived by the guests).

I'd serve one and save the other for another occasion.

Thanks for the input! I should have mentioned that I doubled up on the portions for testing purposes so that I'd have serveral bites for people to try.