• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secret Japanese Beef Restaurant [LA]

Carolyn Tillie

The culmination of my week in Los Angeles was truly a special, memorable event; I was introduced to the “secret Japanese beef restaurant.” What can I tell you about it? Well, I don’t know where it is because I was driven there and I didn’t pay attention to street signs or addresses. How does one get in? You have to be brought by someone who already has a relationship with the chef. When you arrive at the door, you knock and are only let in if you have pre-arranged the evening’s reservation. From the outside, all one sees is the façade of an ugly strip mall with the restaurant’s windows heavily draped to indicate a restaurant otherwise closed.

There is no menu. You are served what the chef prepares. There is no wine list. You have to bring what you want to drink.

gallery_431_4476_74386.jpg

We started with a lovely Marie Stuart Champagne to accompany the platter of bites which were presented:

1. Tomato and cheese skewers

2. Quail egg and caviar

3. King crab with okra

4. Prosciutto and melon

5. Asparagus and walnuts

6. Salmon-stuffed with avocado and sprouts

7. Sundried tofu with tuna

8. Sautéed live clam with haricot vert

9. Shiitake mushrooms with new Caledonia shrimp and celery heart

How does one adequately describe the bounty of flavors offered in these little morsels? I started with the tomato/cheese skewer and was delighted with the freshness of the tomatoes. The quail egg and caviar immediately brought a rich, salty counter to the clean tomato. The okra provided a clear, gelatinous glue that bound the crab bites together. The asparagus with walnuts was a favorite of mine; almost Turkish in its sentiments. I continued down the plate, having these momentary delights with each individual bite.

gallery_431_4476_4607.jpg

1. Beef throat with soy, garlic, and miyoga – thus began the parade of beef dishes. This one was served sliced with appropriate accompaniments and it was only as we were finishing the dish that I remembered to shoot the picture.

gallery_431_4476_9453.jpg

2. Beef tartare with quail egg, shaved Japanese apple, sprouts, pinenuts, and cucumbers. The dish was brought out composed and layered. We mixed the dish together ourselves and dove in… What a stunning mélange of flavors! Most tartares are prepared with more classic ingredients of shallots, capers, cornichons, etc, but the influx of Asian flavors demonstrated a subtle elegance.

gallery_431_4476_139665.jpg

gallery_431_4476_193385.jpg

In preparation for the hefty part of the evening, the charcoal grill was placed in the middle of the table. We also had three sauces; a soy, a sweet, and lemon juice. When each platter of prepared meat was served, we were instructed with which each sauce the meats should be eaten.

gallery_431_4476_187012.jpg

3. Beef tongue was the first platter of meat offered for our grilling pleasure. In experimenting with grilling times, my first slice was grilled briefly and eaten rare which we all ultimately decided was the best (versus a longer grilling time which made the tongue a bit more tough).

gallery_431_4476_31925.jpg

4. Filet mignon with an assortment of vegetables; matsutake mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, and peppers. I have to admit – when I order steak in a restaurant, I tend towards the rib-eye or porterhouse but if all filets were like this one, I would certainly be a convert. So amazingly tender.

gallery_431_4476_13623.jpg

gallery_431_4476_79716.jpg

To help clear our palate between the meat courses, two courses were added:

5. Crudité of vegetables with a spicy miso dip and 6. Momotaru tomatoes

gallery_431_4476_139671.jpg

gallery_431_4476_78202.jpg

7. Outside Rib-Eye. The brilliance of the chef is his mastery of butchering. This had been hinted at with the earlier beef courses but was emphasized between these next two. With the outside, we were instructed to eat with no sauce.

gallery_431_4476_20313.jpg

8. Inside Rib-Eye. And with this, we were told to consume with the sweet sauce. Much discussion ensued about the differences between the Inside and Outside rib-eyes and how one would be able to order this from another butcher. Not likely, we determined… It is something this particular chef knows how to do and specializes in.

gallery_431_4476_105434.jpg

9. Short Rib. Tender, rich and remarkably different from the tongue, filet, or rib-eyes.

gallery_431_4476_168864.jpg

10. Skirt steak. Did I say I was getting full? I could barely handle this final savory course and honestly didn’t enjoy it as much as the first round of courses.

gallery_431_4476_95451.jpg

11. Assorted ice creams; lychee sorbet, espresso ice cream, white chocolate/raspberry ice cream, pistachio ice cream, and blueberry sorbet. A nice, refreshing finish to an amazing meal and an amazing week.

gallery_431_4476_3807.jpg

There are only three words that seem to work for this meal:

"Oh my goodness!"

I am so jealous! Now if you could only go back in time and catch the midnight show of "Kentucky Fried Theatre" on Pico.

hvr :cool:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Carolyn ... SG ... Between the two of you, that "secret Japanese beef restaurant" is no longer a secret, ehh?? I know, what happens in L.A. stays in L.A. ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

SiseFromm, a secret steakhouse behind the Orange Curtain?? Would you have your people call my people?? Discreetly of course ... :smile:

Carolyn, were you surprised that you were going to a Japanese beef restaurant instead of a Japanese sushi restaurant?? And what is the difference between the outside and inside rib-eyes, besides the supposed obvious?? Or is it the Inner rib-eye??

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Carolyn ... SG ... Between the two of you, that "secret Japanese beef restaurant" is no longer a secret, ehh?? I know, what happens in L.A. stays in L.A. ...  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

...were you surprised that you were going to a Japanese beef restaurant instead of a Japanese sushi restaurant?? And what is the difference between the outside and inside rib-eyes, besides the supposed obvious?? Or is it the Inner rib-eye??

RJ, if you read through the Chowhound thread, you see that even if you know where it is, you can't get in without a pre-arrangement from the chef so it doesn't matter if one knows the location or not - try and walk in and you will undoubtedly be turned away.

I knew it was a beef restaurant as my host had told me about it before our arrival. What I was not prepared for was how full I would be. Regrettably for me, during this whole week of driving from one meal to another, day after day, this was the one day (my last day) where I crammed in a breakfast (at the Beverly Hills Hotel), a lunch (at Kate Mantilini), and then this dinner. Three meals in that one day was a mistake for me in preparing for this dinner.

The hard part will be my next trip to Los Angeles... Providence (where I have not yet been)? Bin 8945 (which continues to impress)? This place (which could easily become a favorite)??? It is getting harder and harder for me to choose!

Great report Carolyn, as someone who loves steak but it growing a bit weary of the Flemings, Ruth Chris, etc type places, this looked like an amazing breath fo fresh air for steak consumption. That rib eye had me drooling!

What a great experience you had.  I would LOVE to have a speakeasy restaurant near me in Orange County.  Maybe a secret steakhouse with a great list of wines? (hint hint)

I have heard rumors of this place...hmmmm :wink:

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields