• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy for breakfast, pancakes for dinner...

Well, our family spring holiday is booked, and this year it's in Amsterdam. I was there a couple of months ago for a weekend prior to a meeting elsewhere, and enjoyed it so much that I decided that my family would also find it entertaining.

We'll be there for a week, in April, and I've rented an apartment so we'll be able to eat breakfast at home and do some cooking if I'm not too lazy (a full kitchen, from what I can tell). The apartment's near the Waterlooplein, which I gather features a flea market but not necessarily a food market.

So, marketing and restaurant suggestions in that area, or others worth a trip all very welcome. I know for sure that we want to have rijstaffel one evening, so let's start with that. I know that Chufi's got a favorite, but don't know the name.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Oh, and to understand just exactly how excited I am about this trip, you need to understand two things:

1. This trip is instead of a possible to trip to Disney World the week after Christmas. I'd initially agreed to it, thinking that it would be cool for the kids, but the more I looked into it (how much? for a single room? with all of us in there together?) and the more I contemplated eating Disney food (they've got a meal plan now, by the way, just in case you're feeling masochistic) the more despondent I became. So I'm pretty happy.

2. When I said that we rented an apartment I wasn't giving you the whole scoop. Yes, it's an apartment, but it's an especially cool apartment. Can anybody guess why?

Edited by therese (log)

wow therese I guess you realy liked Amsterdam :biggrin:

April is still far away but I hope I can help you with the planning of your week.

I have no clue what's cool about your apartment near Waterlooplein.... another hint please?

wow therese I guess you realy liked Amsterdam :biggrin:

April is still far away but I hope I can help you with the planning of your week.

Yes, I really did think it was great, and I think my kids are going to enjoy it lots. When we told my daughter (who is 14) that we were considering Disney World at Christmas her response was "Okay, fine." When we told my son (who is 17), he responded with a look of horror and wanted to know why we couldn't go "somewhere cool". "Like where?" I asked. "Like Stresa" he responded (we spent two weeks in Piemonte last summer).

So I considered the options, and decided on Amsterdam in April. Great food was one of the most important criteria. My son and I both recall the very slim pickings at Disney (and he was only about 10 at the time, I think).

I have no clue what's cool about your apartment near Waterlooplein.... another hint please?

Hmm, another hint.

Well, you can see it from the terrace at Cafe Dantzig.

You're squatting the Zuiderkerk clock tower? :raz:

You're totally in my old 'hood so I should be able to figure this out...

...is it a boat?

April is a great time to come. I can help with just about any food-related questions relating to that neighborhood...I lived 30 seconds from Waterlooplein for 3 years and have ferreted out most of what needed ferreting out over there....

Edited by markemorse (log)

You are in one of those apartments with the big plate glass window in the front and the red light on the porch?  Hmm.

Um, no. So far as I can tell those apartments are not available for extended stays, and don't necessarily feature full kitchens.

You're squatting the Zuiderkerk clock tower?  :raz:

Heh heh. Again, no kitchen.

You're totally in my old 'hood so I should be able to figure this out...

...is it a boat?

Yep, it's a boat. And a very nice boat so far as I can tell. Not cheap, but in comparison to Disney everything seems very reasonable (and ever so much more pleasant). Full kitchen, washer/dryer, sufficient indoor and outdoor space, everything that makes family travel pleasant.

April is a great time to come. I can help with just about any food-related questions relating to that neighborhood...I lived 30 seconds from Waterlooplein for 3 years and have ferreted out most of what needed ferreting out over there....

Perfect. Feel free to volunteer your neighborhood favorites. We like, well, everything.

Is it an actual self-propelled boat or is it one of the canal barges? Some friends of mine took a combined cycling tour/barge trip through Europe and had a wonderful time. The barge was very nicely appointed, and had lots of room on deck for their bicycles.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Is it an actual self-propelled boat or is it one of the canal barges?  Some friends of mine took a combined cycling tour/barge trip through Europe and had a wonderful time.  The barge was very nicely appointed, and had lots of room on deck for their bicycles.

It's a real boat (and so not a "floating box"), and at one time could have been used to navigate the canals, but is now permanently moored. We did look at one boat that is moored in Amsterdam but wants to remain usable for touring, and so is apparently required by law to take one trip, even if a short one, per week. I decided against it in part because the mooring in Amsterdam was perhaps a bit too central: hard up against the train station, along Prins Hendrikkade.

The boat does not come with bikes, so far as I know, but my husband and the children may well rent them. I have a back problem that precludes my riding one for any length of time, but even I may do a little riding. Particularly if there's a meal waiting at the end of the trip.