• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlas of American Artisinal Cheese

rlibkind

If anyone is interested in finding great American cheeses, or just has a hankering to learn more, there's a book published this year worth finding: Atlas of American Artisinal Cheese by Jeffrey P. Roberts (Chelsea Green, White River Junction, Vermont, 464 pp, $35).

Roberts profiles more than 350 American cheesemakers and includes info on how to order, whether on line, by phone or at the farmstand. He tells of one cheesemaker who sells her entire output only once a year at a Maryland sheep and wool gathering.

Although it's designed as a reference book, it was pure pleasure to go through entire sections of the book, which is arranged geographically by region, and then by state. It opened me up to lots of new cheesemakers, and told me things I didn't know about some of my favorites.

On my next trip to Wisconsin to visit the in-laws, I'm going to plan our excursions around this book!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report