• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Durian

Full disclosure: I was in a band called The Durians for about 8 years in the 90s (Google Durians and Atlanta if you're dying of curiosity)....

I've been trying to think of something productive to add to this, and I guess my target audience would be the person who hasn't taken the plunge yet.

Try to forget the descriptions you've heard, especially forget about onions, garlic, poop, and feet. And just taste it. Maybe I got lucky, I had my first one last year (a whole one), but I didn't really enjoy it until I stopped trying to figure out what it tasted like. After that it was a pleasant, unique experience.

Good luck....

mark

lolol...you got it Mark! I echo your sentiments, forget what you have HEARD it tastes like, just go try it FGS!

I was an affirmed durian hater not ever being in the vicinity of one until I sat before a Durian Panna Cotta, under duress, in Bali a year or so ago. Im now a confirmed durian lover and proud to tell the world.

Lucky for me we have an Asian store close by that sells them. Amongst other wonderful things.

A muso huh?? I have one of those as a husband. :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

I finally tried durian this week. I was in Seattle and saw one for sale and had to try it. We got a big knife and ate it outside, just in case it would stink up my mom's apartment.

None of us liked it but it wasn't as disgusting as we'd hoped. It just tasted like honeydew with an overtone of cheese. My mom and my son and I all tried a few bites but didn't really think too much of it either way. I was vaguely disappointed; I don't feel like I really scored too many macho food points by eating it. Although just handling it without injuring myself should count for something!

• 4 weeks later...

In an unexpected burst of energy today, I finally made it to my favorite asian supermarket.... as I often do (much to my chagrin) I usually find something - not on my shopping list - that I MUST have!

Today's impulse buy:

gallery_51818_4992_701994.jpg

A durian!

Help! I've never had one, but am intrigued by the stories, the love/hate relationship people have with them....

It's a prickly SOB, it had to be wrapped in newspaper before bagging, or it would have made mincemeat of the bag.

Does it look normal? How do I cut it? What do I need to know about prepping it, eating it, disposing of it?

If I don't like it, how do I get rid of it without alienating every neighbor I have?

Your durian expertise is welcome! :biggrin:

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

A durian!

Help! I've never had one, but am intrigued by the stories, the love/hate relationship people have with them....

Does it look normal?  How do I cut it?  What do I need to know about prepping it, eating it, disposing of it?

If I don't like it, how do I get rid of it without alienating every neighbor I have?

Your durian expertise is welcome!  :biggrin:

:laugh::laugh: You're in for a sense-ational experience. :laugh::laugh:

I was like you until 2 years ago. Tried it once years before and just couldn't handle the "aroma". Finally, a cousin convinced me to open my mouth, hold my nose while she put a piece in, then chew. At that point, it's either "you love it or still can't stand it". I liked it, but it took a few more bites before I got used to the smell. Mind, I haven't had any since. :rolleyes:

If you don't like it, take it to a landfill and bury it! :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

whatever you do, don't throw away scraps/peels in the trash after you're done eating it. Even if you double bag it, it'll still stink. I suggest the following:

1. put the durian in a paper bag

2. leave it on someone's doorstep at night (this should be someone you hate)

3. light the bag on fire with a match

4. ring that person's doorbell

5. RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Me-thinks you're laughing at me!  :biggrin:

Damn, do I have the guts to go forward?

Sure. If you love it... enjoy. If you hate it, there's no shame in wrapping and tossing. Go to the local hospital, get some BIOHAZARD stickers, and add it to THEIR trash. Either way, your durian virginity will have passed and you can speak with knowledge.

My take: it smells like a cross between an open sewer and a broken gas line but has a sweet and cloying taste. It's not bad... but then again-- I wouldn't walk through broken glass for it either.

hvr :raz:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Thanks (I think) for the replies, but I'm more afraid than ever. It doesn't smell now, is that normal (to not smell before cutting it open?)

BTW... It was 1.08 US per pound, and at 5.15 lbs, it cost me a princely sum of $5.56 US.

It sits on my table, mocking me, and you folks are NO HELP! :biggrin::biggrin:

Jamie Lee

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I love eGullet!!!

You know, you Must report back!! (I can see myself doing the exact thing and running here for assistance)

Impatiently waiting the outcome........................

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Et voila: http://www.bingregory.com/archives/2007/03/05-durian/

-- all you'll need for your virgin durian experience.

People (quite obviously) over-exaggerate the smell of durian. It isn't that bad.

It's no worse than fish sauce, etc. and you don't hear people saying things like "I use fish sauce a skunk repellant" or "you'd better put biohazard stickers on the bottle, because it'll surely kill all living things within a 10-foot proximity!" It's all to generate attention. Yes, it's stinky. So what? I mean, get over it and taste! Enough with all the drama! Yeeeeeeeesh.

Personally, having read your posts, I think you'll agree. I also think you'll find that you like it somewhat, but aren't quite sure why. Like me.

After I get tired of my judge Judy quote, I'm going to use

"you'll never eat the same durian twice" - Bin Gregory

or "Somebody once said it’s like eating vanilla custard out of a toilet. He was on to something." same source

I'm terrified.

Jamie Lee

I've only ever had eaten Durians in Hong Kong and to me they were very fragrant and almost as sweet as mangoes. The ones that i pass in the UK never have any aroma so i've never bothered to buy them. They should be quite 'aromatic' even before you open them.

Go outside now and just do it, use a heavy cleaver to split them open as you would a pumpkin and prise those fleshy lobes out with your fingers. It's now or never, our thoughts are with you!!

If the durian has been frozen, you'll be better off buying it a bus ticket and sending it far far away.  Otherwise, it should be quite delicious - even if it smells like rotting onions...

ohhhhh I so agree ..I actually adore fresh duran and all the things you can make from it ..when it is fresh you just cut it up and pop it in your mouth and eat it

I poped it in my husbands mouth one time and it came flying back out however

I think some people love it and some hate it

but it is important to loose your duran virginity on a nice fresh one I think!

make a smoothie ..YUM!!!

I have been asked to leave the room when I came in with one in the past ..not a potluck fruit I swear ..trust me on this!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I made a daikon radish pickle (kind of a kimchi) the other day and I had some under plastic wrap in the fridge. My son informed me that the fridge smelled like *ss and possibly worse than the cut open durian under plastic wrap in the street markets in Singapore during the height of the durian season. So I am thinking as others have said it is more about the taste than the smell but you really need to pre-plan a way to dispose of the remains. Also if it is frozen I really don't know the effect. Report back!

This article should answer a lot of questions, including different methods of opening it. You should be fine with Thai durians; they do not pack as much punch as Malaysia's. Malaysians turn up their noses at Thai durians, not because of the smell...on the contrary, it's because of the lack of it. :raz:

I lurve durians and I wouldn't describe them as stinky. Have made durian custard layer cakes with it. Hubby's fav way of eating the balance is filling a very light crepe. I took the pix, hubby made the crepe.

Good luck.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I've decided (no thanks to all the eG-ers who didn't respond) that I'll take a cutting board, knife, and paper towels to a public park... and open the sucka'

Smell be damned, I'll either puke (Not an uncommon incident) or love the fruit.

Wish I knew if to cut longitudingly or on the horizon.

Pics to follow. (But I'll still take notes/tricks/hints)

J.

Jamie Lee