• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decanting

GordonCooks

Actually, I was thinking more in terms of hot sex with uncouth vulgar women drinking Zima, but YEAH! How dare you look down upon the common folk, you bud-swilling bourgoise pig! That bud you swill is the sweat of their labor!

--

ID

--

Actually, I was thinking more in terms of hot sex with uncouth vulgar women drinking Zima, but YEAH! How dare you look down upon the common folk, you bud-swilling bourgoise pig! That bud you swill is the sweat of their labor!

Is that why Bud tastes so bad? Now about that hot sex.....

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I think we're in agreement in that having the waiter frappe' my bottle of Beaux Freres Pinot was not helping me in any way.

And....if you will... I should have ordered Zima's and Belly Shots of Cuervo for the table ? It all makes sense. They were pushing the lobster empanadas a little hard that night.

• 2 weeks later...

1: "Actually, many wine tasters also like to aerate the wine while it's in their mouths by sucking air through it in sort of a reverse gargle. This does greatly enhance the flavor of wine, but is very rude at table)" - not rude where i come from. but we try to do it discreetly...

2: gordon, i once (c. -84) shared a minor -61 cru bourgeois with 5 friends at a restaurant. i made sure in advance that it would not be decanted, and when it arrived, i ever so slowly and carefully poured it into the glasses (not wishing the waiter to do it..). it immediatly filled the air with fine aromas. think what might have happened, had it been decanted! funny thing is, it had almost no power left in taste, but the nose was splendid.

3: until proven wrong, i believe that a larger surface will give better aeration. so, i pour slowly down the inside of the carafe.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

• 10 months later...
say uhhh, what's the easiest/best way to clean a decanter?  can't get my fat little fingers down there so good.

Just wash it with clean filtered water and flip it on a dry canvas towel.

Under no condition would I have prefered to shake wine.

Take a minute to experience the tastes of shaken or roughly poured wines as opposed to gently poured wines.

Decanting older wines is a quick way to loose them.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.