• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julie and Julia - the movie

GlorifiedRice

Meryl Streep as Julia Child?

Columbia is cooking up "Julie & Julia," starring Streep as the famous chef and Amy Adams as a mastercook wannabe.

Read on:

http://www.variety.com/VR1117975130.html

I saw that as well on other outlets. I will hold off comment for now, but Streep is not even the same body type or size as Julia. That and the blog bit. Is this like "Play It Again Sam" where she has visitations of Julia?

With the right accent, the right clothes and the right posture, I can see Meryl Streep pulling it off. I'm not a big Streep fan, but I actually can see it working.

The biggest danger as I see it (and the reason I'm NOT a Streep fan), is the possibility of it becoming more of a satire than a depiction. I may be in the minority, but a lot of Meryl Streep's work seems overdone and takes me completely out of the narrative being illustrated. But I'm crabby and inclined to bitch, so, it's probably just me.

Absolutely she can do it! Will she? That's another question. This is one I'll go out of my way to see.

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

• 6 months later...
http://www.buzzfoto.com/?p=3435

First shots of Meryl Streep as Julia Child...

I think it looks just like her!

nice photos but she and paul had been in a car accident the day before and she was sporting a pretty big bandage and a few cuts when they married.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 9 months later...

A friend in the entertainment business, who knows I am a foodie, sent me this link today.

Apparently the post production is taking longer than expected but they are aiming for a release date in August.

Julie & Julia

I am anxious to see it. Loved the book.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

IMO MS is like the eraser at the end of the pencil i.e a blank page....she can transform herself into any character she chooses to play...look forawrd to it...

Edited by insomniac (log)

I can easily see Streep playing a large middle-aged woman. The one I had a hard time with was the rail-thin fashionista in "Prada."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think that if there's any actress around who can capture Julia's enormous personality and charisma, it is Meryl Streep. I'm looking forward to it, too. Honestly, I'd watch any movie with Meryl Streep and the great Stanley Tucci.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...

I think Jean Stapleton would have been fantastic. But still I can't wait to see it!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

• 1 month later...

I just saw the spot for the movie on Hell's Kitchen. I had to come out of a somewhat self-imposed exile to post on this.

I watched the preview with mouth agape, mumbling to myself "They freakin did it."

I just had to pipe up on this, knowing the subject had been of great interest in these parts. And I'll be around a little more, as I am no longer traipsing about the bloody country living in hotels and trying to eat economically. Plus I have a local job that allows me to sleep in my own bed each night, while still trying to eat economically.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I just saw the spot for the movie on Hell's Kitchen. I had to come out of a somewhat self-imposed exile to post on this.

I watched the preview with mouth agape, mumbling to myself "They freakin did it."

I just had to pipe up on this, knowing the subject had been of great interest in these parts. And I'll be around a little more, as I am no longer traipsing about the bloody country living in hotels and trying to eat economically. Plus I have a local job that allows me to sleep in my own bed each night, while still trying to eat economically.

I caught it too.

Streep actually nailed several of the mannerisms of Julia Child.

The trailer appears to delve into her government work during the War years too.

It should be a fun movie to see.

Yea! I loved the book and this is something nice to look forward to.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I agree, Jean Stapleton would have been perfect. You know who else? Assuming she can act--Susan Boyle!

After I read Julie and Julia, I did some internet sleuthing and for a while was following the author's personal life, which seemed to have fallen apart after all the publicity surrounding the book died down. I suppose she will be making boatloads of money from the movie now, and thrust back in the public eye. It must be a strange life.

I watched the preview. I'll be passing on this one. Just judging from the short bit I watched, they seem to have reduced Julia Child to a caricature. And the Julie character (I say "character" because I don't know how much of "real life" made it into the movie) seems like a moron.