• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nonpareil Chocolates

gfron1

At risk of asking a silly question, I have someone who is looking for "high quality nonpareil chocolates." I thought that had something to do with the Kosher process, but when I looked up the definition of the word, her request became redundant since technically nonpareil means unparalleled quality. So what does this term mean in this context? And if its a legitimate term, does anyone have recommendations for such a thing? Thanks.

Might they mean those chocolate buttons with the hard candy sprinkles on them?  Like sno-caps, but bigger?  We always called them nonpareils when I was a kid.

Yes, that's right: chocolate drops covered with sugar sprinkles.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Many chocolate and candy shops, particularly on the East Coast, carry high quality non-pareils.

If you have a way to temper, they are easy to make. We use 58% Cacao Barry couverture. We get the "seeds" from Pfeil & Holing in NY. And we use a $4 Wilton plastic funnel that comes with a finger-controlled "stick" to pour the choc into quarter-sized disks over the seeds (which are spread out in a sheet pan).

Cheers,

Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

I get them for my shop from Nassau Candy, (here) a candy/fine foods maker/distributor in NY which claims to make their own. I initially doubted they could be very good (long story) but I tried theirs against some from other suppliers, and NC's won. My customers agree: At one point a few years ago I had a disagreement with NC and switched all my purchasing elsewhere (most of what I get from outside vendors is bulk gummies and novelty candy.) My regular non-pareil customers told me to get over my disagreement and switch back, because NC's non-pareils were best.

Still, I'd love to try making my own, and thanks to stscam, now I can. I never knew where to get the seeds!

• 1 year later...

I'm laughing at myself because I vaguely remembered some eGer asking about non-pareils a long time ago and no one having the answer. Thanks to the search engine I found out it was me!

At the Fancy Food Show I found Sanders Candy brand non-pareils that were dark and good. I hope the next fool looking for these finds this post.