• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo Flavoring

GlorifiedRice

Hi People!

A lot of the industry reads and posts on eGullet. So I wanna speak directly to them by posing a question to all posters...

What makes Buffalo Flavoring, "Buffalo Flavoring"?

Just HEAT?

Or Heat AND that certain "PEPPER FLAVOR"?

I think you all know what I mean by "that certain pepper flavor" right?

To me, taking a colorful plastic bag, dropping some frozen precooked chicken breasts in it that have been sprayed with pure capsaisin is NOT Buffalo Flavor. You MUST have the yummy pepper flavor of Frank's or Tabasco...

What say you?

The reason I ask is that I am so tired of buying so called "Buffalo Style" food, only for it to just have heat, and no flavor!

BTW- Are there any low or no heat pepper sauces that have that flavor?

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Hi People!

A lot of the industry reads and posts on eGullet. So I wanna speak directly to them by posing a question to all posters...

I think you've nailed it.

It should be have some heat but it should also have that tang provided by vinegar-based hot pepper sauces.

Anyone can do hot. "Buffalo" is a different story.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I wonder if the companies producing some of the sauces you're buying are making sauces that are fat free or lowfat? Every recipe I've ever seen for Buffalo wing sauce has almost equal parts hot sauce (I use Frank's) and butter (some recipes say margerine -- ugh, NO WAY!). Any low fat or fat free sauce is not going to be able to impart the yumminess and depth to the sauce that butter does and vegetable oil is no substitute IMHO which is most likely what's used in commercial products. I've also seen recipes that call for a tbs of white vinegar, but I've never used it when making my sauce.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Vinegar based Louisiana style hot sauce and a fat component that is typically butter. Obviously people manage to replicate it sort of) in powdered form because there are "Buffalo flavor" chips. But many of the "Buffalo flavor" products have a blue cheese component added as well. If it is a reasonable facsimile of the original it will have both heat and pepper flavor.

BTW- Are there any low or no heat pepper sauces that have that flavor?

Tabasco makes a jalapeño sauce that is quite mild and yet it has some flavor to it.

Pickapeppa Sauce, a sort of Caribbean sauce (tamarind based, I believe) has some heat but I use it more for the flavor.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If it means anything, Frank's RedHot is supposed to be the "secret" ingredient in the original buffalo wings sauce. As someone who went to school in Rochester, NY (which is near Buffalo, for those not familiar with NY State), I was confronted with this fact many times as I saw many Frank's bottles throughout school.

I went to their website and found the recipes section. They have a "buffalo wings sauce" that they sell, and so the chicken wings recipe on their site uses just that premade sauce. However, it also says the following:

Tip: You may substitute 1/2 cup FRANK'S® REDHOT® Sauce mixed with 1/3 cup melted butter for the Buffalo Wing Sauce.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I bought some hot wing flavored sunflower seeds once. I was surprised when I ate one that they didn't just have the hot vinegar-y sauce flavor, but they also actually tasted like meat. :laugh:

On the topic of things that aren't buffalo flavoring, I saw that woman on Quick Fix Meals on Food Network a few days ago making "buffalo chicken calzones". The "buffalo" sauce on the chicken was tomato sauce with wasabi, a few dashes of hot sauce, and liquid smoke. :blink:

Bagel?

Glorifiedrice -

I do believe that you have just started the next real heated (no pun intended) question like b-que sauce. "It not right unless you make it yourself and then past it down to your kin." :smile:

But I do have to admit you are right I have yet to buy sauce that does not burn my mouth and have to drink a gallon of milk just to get some type of relief. It seems to be the new thing that the hotter the better and I think some forget it is the favor and the experience that make food so much fun.

Besides trying to add different things to "soften" the blow I have yet to find a really good sauce. I do think this is a product that one is going to have to come up with in their own kitchen.

Bree?

I think people are reading more into my OP then was intended.

I was trying to give a huge hint to the Food Industry to stop labeling foods

"Buffalo Style" when all they do is make them HOT. I want the heat, but I also want that vinegary peppery goodness.

BOTH are what make up true Buffalo Style Flavor...

But I believe that some food manufacturers cut costs and/or try to sell spicy chicken breasts as Buffalo Style, when they are not Buffalo Style at all and it irks me big time...

I dont want the blow to be softened btw...

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!