• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weird Foods

I got this in my MSN update.

Creepiest, Craziest Halloween Candy

Excerpt: The days of homemade candied apples may be gone, but these days kids can rot their teeth with a wealth of weirdo treats. Halloween in the '00s means gross-out gummi creations, candy in the shape of insects (or with actual insects inside) and lots of sugary-sweet body parts.

What's the creepiest, coolest candy this Halloween? Vote for the weirdest stuff we found online, or add your own.

Ultimate Guide to Halloween Candy

Excerpt: It's that time again. Your teeth have just finished recovering from the sugar overload of last Halloween and you're ready to torture them again, right? Well look no further my friends, for I have been collecting a ton o' Halloween candies to show you again this season so you can cut out all the guesswork and go straight for the good stuff! There are nearly 40 varieties reviewed here, so you're bound to find something you like! You won't find a more comprehensive candy listing anywhere else and what my taste buds say is LAW, so you had better listen to 'em. All of the candies featured here are rated on a 1-5 scale: 1 being worse than a vampire draining all of the blood from your body, and 5 being better than a vampire draining all of the cancer from your body and turning you into a super-human who can lay golden eggs worth waaaay more than any of that cheapo Fabergé stuff.

Top 10 Grossest Candy

Excerpt: There are a lot of gross candies in this world. A lot. I didn’t realize the level of grossness that candy has sunk to. We at Candy Addict decided to compile a list of the Top 10 grossest candy we could find. We searched high and low for gross candy and came up with a long list. We then each ranked the grossness of each and compiled our results to bring you the Top 10.

The Most Curious Canned Goods Online

Excerpt: Mmm, mmm … gross? In celebration of strange sustenance chowed 'round the world, we've put together a list of freaky foodstuffs for the audacious, fearless gluttons for gourmet punishment.

Some of our contenders on the list are international delicacies, like Mexican truffles, or the rich broth produced by a partially grown duck fetus. Others, like canned whole chickens and brains, are capable of turning the appetite of even the most adventurous diner. Most of the items listed are available in specialty markets or can be unearthed for purchase online, so happy hunting and bon appétit!

The last link includes bottled balut (boiled duck embryo) and canned bodegi (silkworm larvae). Why am not surprised that a Filipino food delicacy and a korean snack made it to the list? :rolleyes:

Edited: for clarity and more info.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I got this in my MSN update.

Creepiest, Craziest Halloween Candy

Ultimate Guide to Halloween Candy

Top 10 Grossest Candy

The Most Curious Canned Goods Online

The last link includes bottled balut (boiled duck embryo) and canned bodegi (silkworm larvae). Why am not surprised that a Filipino food delicacy and a korean snack made it to the list?  :rolleyes:

my daughter just bought a can of chicken feet, said they were fine....think I'll stick with the fresh

ps. I can't eat balut since the time a feather got stuck in my teeth...yech...

Insomniac - try to get the 3-day or 2-day old baluts. The embyo is just as big as your thumb and can be slurped up easily with nary a feather to get lodge in your teeth. :)

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Id rather eat fresh balut than canned/jarred balut mush

the weirdest thing to me (and I'm sure to most everyone on here) is the canned chicken.  What the heck? ew

I am glad that the canned pupa made the list. My daughter and I love to gross my wife out with the several varieties found at Super Hmart. And no, I have never purchased nor eaten said delectable.

We DID buy the corn ice cream in the shape of a cob with real kernels inside the ice cream. It's ok.

• 4 years later...

If it contains sugar, I'll try it. Which is the reason I'm sitting here with the weird aftertaste of a Yankie Lakrids bar in my mouth.

For those who are not familiar with it, 'Yankie' is a Danish candy bar of the Milky Way sort, milk chocolate around a sort of spongy-chewy interior, innocuous in an insipid sort of way, and tasting primarily of glucose syrup.

The 'Lakrids' version ups the ante, with – you (might not have) guessed it – liquorice. Salmiak (salty) liquorice, to be precise.

I like chocolate (admittedly, milk chocolate, not so much), and I like liquorice. Their combination, however, has never struck me as, well, wise, even though it is not unpopular in Nordic countries. I only had a bite of this thing (I generously passed the rest of it along to my boyfriend, who, in the midst of a computer game does not really notice what he's shoving into his face), but ten minutes later, my mouth still tastes as though I brushed my teeth with one of the more agressive anise-flavoured toothpastes. Or maybe artichoke? God, I don't know...

What the hell was I thinking?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

The local pan-Asian supermarket sells little cans of insect larvae. Mealworm, I think. I saw Heston eat some of the very same product on TV once. He spat it out. Every time I consider buying a can for the hell of it, I always pause and reminder that episode of Feasts.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between