• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme Anglaise and Truffles...

merlicky

Has anyone tried using a creme anglaise as a base for a truffle ganache instead of cream? The regular vanilla ganache with vanilla bean, white chocolate, and cream seems to be lacking something. I want to get a good French vanilla truffle and I’m not sure how this will work. And, I’m not sure what the egg will do to shelf life.

Anyway, I’ll probably be trying it out this weekend.

Has anyone tried using a creme anglaise as a base for a truffle ganache instead of cream?  The regular vanilla ganache with vanilla bean, white chocolate, and cream seems to be lacking something.  I want to get a good French vanilla truffle and I’m not sure how this will work.  And, I’m not sure what the egg will do to shelf life.

Anyway, I’ll probably be trying it out this weekend.

You could also try creme fraiche.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

An anglaise based ganache makes a cremeux (though usually done with a lower proportion of chocolate and used in gateaux rather than chocolates). The presence of the egg will have a negative influence on the shelflife. I think the creme fraiche could go well: the slight acidity would work against the sweetness of the white chocolate and the overall richness of the truffle.

There are egg ganaches in Fine Chocolates by Wybauw and in Belgian Chocolates by Geerts. The available water is similar to that of ganaches not containing eggs, so the shelf life should be reasonable.

I've done something similar to this to make a lemon ganache (just this weekend actually). It worked quite well and the recipe I have (from chocolate school) indicates an approx two week shelf life (for this particular recipe) which is on par with the other moulded ganache recipes we were given.