• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Almond paste that's too strong

eatrustic

I use a really good quality of almond paste but I find the flavor too intense and the texture a bit too dense when I use it for things like Stollen. I use a pure "eye" of almond paste in the center of my stollen's and I find it a bit too strong tasting and would like to make the texture a bit more delicate as well. What should I mix it with? Sugar, egg, flour? Thanks for any input!

The recipe I have for filling for danish calls for 1/2 cup almond paste, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1 eggs white. Though I might cut back on the sugar.

The recipe I have for filling for danish calls for 1/2 cup almond paste, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1 eggs white.  Though I might cut back on the sugar.

Thanks, this gives me something to work with. The only thing to be careful about will be how soft this makes the almond paste as it still has to hold a round shape and not ooze out when rolled into the fairly stiff Stollen dough. Prechilling the mixture should help that (I think).

It's funny; i've been having the opposite problem lately. I like the pure strong taste of almond paste and lately I've only seen cans of Solo "almond spread" rather than pure almond paste in the stores around here! Argghh!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This is going to sound really strange, but something else you can use to cut the almond paste is mashed cooked white beans (such as cannellini)!!!

This is based on the bean-paste fillings used in Asian sweet pastries. The mashed beans approximate the texture of almond paste, and they don't spread during baking. You can sweeten the almond paste/bean paste blend to taste after you mix it.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I use a really good quality of almond paste but I find the flavor too intense and the texture a bit too dense when I use it for things like Stollen. I use a pure "eye" of almond paste in the center of my stollen's and I find it a bit too strong tasting and would like to make the texture a bit more delicate as well. What should I mix it with? Sugar, egg, flour? Thanks for any input!

What is the brand you use?

Almond paste made from scratch with almonds is pretty bland, the flavor is from almond extract. maybe cut  your paste with plain almond paste..

Bud

No, this is not made from scratch, it's a very good commercial product and blandness is not at all the problem. Intense flavor and density is.