• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does this (stoofvlees saus) exist in NYC?

feedmec00kies

At one point in a trip through several European cities, we had pommes frites in Brugge, Belgium with "stoofvlees saus" (maybe it was written in one word.. as "stoofvleessaus"... wow, that looks like a dinosaur name.. anyway...)

Besides having an abnormal love of the words "stoofvlees saus", causing him to repeat it constantly, he also very much enjoyed it. Point being, he wants to know if anywhere in NY has it (he's not interested in stoofvlees, just the frites sauce derived from it). Thanks in advance for any help that might be provided.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

The mayonaise isn't an issue. I heard of Pommes Frites and knew we could find it there, but it was really that gravy-like sauce based on stoofvlees that we're (ok, he's) looking for.

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the sauce on the Markt menu, but I'll examine it later in case I missed it.

(edited to make "Pomme Frites" a proper noun)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

they have it...sort of...at Resto.

according to my googling, stoofvlees is carbonnade...which they serve at Resto with a pile of frites at the bottom.

frites are also served ala carte with a variety of sauces...none of them are carbonnade based but one is a gribiche...

Actually Markt serves Stoofvlees at lunch with frites. I lived in the Netherlands for 4 years and don't recall seeing frites with stoofvlees. I had stoofvlees as an entree. Of course, it doesn't mean it didn't exits, just that I never had the pleasure of having had it. Sounds good though. Good luck with your search.

Could it be that this is just fries with really good gravy...

if Stoofvlees is Carbonnade and

Carbonnade is stew made with beer, beef stock, and mustard...etc

(which is going to be dinner sometime next week)

You either need someplace with a great winter stew menu and fries or to start making some gravy

Sounds good though

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

all I know is that according to my googling, stoofvlees is simply another name for Belgian carbonnade....which is basically a boef bourgignon with beer instead of wine. the Carbonnade at resto happens to include frites (other recipes call for it to be served over egg noodles (the way I've made it)). if the version at Markt includes frites, so much the better. I don't know if the one at Cafe Luxembourg does (and that place sucks anyway).

but I can definitively say that if you order the carbonnade at Resto you'll get frites with stoofvlees.