• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big portion restaurants

maxmillan

I don't know if there is a thread on this but after researching for a place to bring my friend (who is a big eater) I thought I'd get some ideas here.

My friend likes Bon's off Broadway and the Mexican restaurants across the border because of the huge portions.

Now, I'm not looking for the best service or the best tasting food. But it should pass the Food Safety Inspection and you should get your meal within an hour.

For me, I like the Japanese/Korean barbecue buffet and the brunch buffet at the Delta in Whistler.

I know there's a thread on buffet restaurant but I was looking for restaurants with large portions.

What have you tried?

Yes, La Regalade for portions. I love that place, but even I (a fair trencherman) can rarely finish one of the daily specials. Memphis Blues is also a good bet -- especially if you get one of the assorted platters. Other places to think about: The Tomahawk in North Van for their burger lunches which are pretty durn big (at least the last time I was there); all-you-can-eat sushi places, like the one on Georgia not far from Denman. The Iranian take-out places (there's one near me on Marine near 14th in West Van, and another on Lonsdale) tend to give big portions. Some pubs can also be very generous with their meal portions, heavy on the fries, but your friend may not mind. But hey, if you want Brobdignagian portions, drive across the border.

Paul B

I (edit->)third the Memphis Blues suggestion. My DH and I can live for a week off the Elvis Platter! A Memphis platter is our usual choice and gets us a couple of days of leftovers.

I've always found the portions at Parkside to be very generous (but perhaps not so to a 'big eater'). HSG too - very generous portions.

Anywhere with family-style service should fit the bill too - Greek, Chinese, Indian etc, lots of good picks.

We've always been happy with Cactus club - of the big box places within walking distance, we tend to go there most (for beers and appies on the patio, mostly).

Edited by run2eat (log)

What a coincidence, we were just talking about this today -- and not in a good way. Don't want to rain on this thread, but I gotta ask, why does anyone feel the need to consume huge quantities of food? In these times with overweight and obesity the major health problem affecting North America, I honestly have to ask what the thinking is behind overeating. It's been proven we all have distorted ideas of what a "normal" portion is, and how overeating leads to so many health problems, costing the system humongous dollars, so why don't we change our eating habits to protect our health?

I know a lot of people who pick restaurants based on quantity rather than quality (Anton's springs to mind...). Never been able to figure that one out. It's large therefore it's good? Getting money's worth? Even if you can't finish it all?

I don't want to criticize or judge, and I'm not presuming everyone who has a big appetite is fat (although there's proof that thin people can be fat inside...), I just really wonder about why, with so much knowledge now than ever before, we continue to ignore the consequences of overeating and overweight.

There was a report on the news last night from some cancer agency or another talking about obesity being a major cause of cancer. They shot into a crowd of people and, no kidding, 9 out of 10 of the people were fat or obese. Is it possible that overweight people look around a crowd, see everyone else is fat, and think they're average? Is the fact airplanes and Disney's It's a Small World are widening their seats to accommodate our ever-widening asses validation that we're normal? How dangerous is that?

That's not to say I'm in favor of restaurants that charge $40 for one small scallop and a third of a carrot, sending you home hungry after dropping $200. That's almost as criminal. Isn't there a middle ground here somewhere???

If your friend likes Italian food I would suggest "Nick's" on Commercial Drive, good food and huge portions. I have friends who have said the same thing about "Anton's" on Hastings too, haven't tried it yet though.

Also, at the "Two Parrots" on Granville and Davie you can order their big burger. It's about $36.00 and is the size of a Basketball, pretty tasty too.

Maybe the friend is a wrestler, or some other kind of athlete that needs to consume a lot of calories.  Regardless, I don't think someone named "feedbag" should be pointing any fingers here.  :wub:

:laugh:

I only indulge in a pigfest very rarely. What's good is that I have leftovers for the next day or more. I don't usually see people eating an entire large plate of food judging by the take-out container they walk out with.

But when making the statement, "I don't want to criticize or judge", then don't. :wink:

Back to the original topic of the thread. La Regalade was mentioned. Can you tell me what the price point is and what do you suggest is their specialty?

Here is their website. Looks like appetizers are in the low teens and entree's are low 20's.

I wonder at times if the items are meant to be eaten family style - the portions are pretty substantial and the food is quite rich. I like the roasted duck with fruit - the duck is served cooked through (ie - not rare) - which keeps the richness in check.

Maybe the friend is a wrestler, or some other kind of athlete that needs to consume a lot of calories.  Regardless, I don't think someone named "feedbag" should be pointing any fingers here.  :wub:

:laugh:

I only indulge in a pigfest very rarely. What's good is that I have leftovers for the next day or more. I don't usually see people eating an entire large plate of food judging by the take-out container they walk out with.

But when making the statement, "I don't want to criticize or judge", then don't. :wink:

Back to the original topic of the thread. La Regalade was mentioned. Can you tell me what the price point is and what do you suggest is their specialty?

Yes I can ... their menu. But that menu is about one half of what you'll see when you go. Their chalk board floats around the room on a tripod for diners to choose from. The prices for the specials on the board are maybe a little more expensive than the menu.

As for their style, they are the best country french in town (as you probably surmise from the menu). You will often be served your food in a ~3qt enameled cast iron dutch oven. I have NEVER had a good meal there, they've all been outstanding.

Mark.

What about Antons Pasta Bar in Burnaby?

I haven't been to Anton's in a while. Everytime I pass by they have a long line up which I'm not willing to do.

I find the menu very limiting, that is, mainly pasta. But Anton's is fine when I have a harsh cravng for just pasta.

I'd mentioned Anton's in my entry as an example of quantity over quality. You can make the same stuff at home for a fraction of the cost, and likely much better. Yet, inexplicably, people line up for it. I've mentioned before, too, that you can get better at any of the other Italian restaurants in the same neighbourhood for the same price without having to line up. I don't get it.

As for the "pointing fingers" remark, I wasn't. Simply trying to open what I thought was a worthy side discussion that others might have thoughts about. Evidently not.

And BTW, my feedbag contains oats. Very healthy......and low fat.