• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arizona Gastrotourism

hello, this is my first posting on this regional forum, so I hope regulars will be patient with someone from New England.

I'll be making my first trip to Arizona in February for a conference in Phoenix. Based on the many recommendations I'm finding here, I'm sure I will eat well in my three days in that city. But of course I'm trying to squeeze in a few extra days in the Southwest to escape the cold, snowy New England weather that I'm sure will await me back home.

So where do I go? I'll rent a car and will have 4-5 days to explore before heading home. Arizona is famed for its geological, cultural, as well as culinary terrains, and I admit to knowing little about any of them. I know eG is about food and not general tourism. But if folks could point me towards some "not to be missed" destinations that satisfy more than one of these cravings, I can do more homework from there. And if there are any culinary calendar events that time of year, please include those as well, I'd love to experience SW food beyond the restaurants.

Many thanks.

hello, this is my first posting on this regional forum, so I hope regulars will be patient with someone from New England.

I'll be making my first trip to Arizona in February for a conference in Phoenix.  Based on the many recommendations I'm finding here, I'm sure I will eat well in my three days in that city.  But of course I'm trying to squeeze in a few extra days in the Southwest to escape the cold, snowy New England weather that I'm sure will await me back home.

So where do I go? I'll rent a car and will have 4-5 days to explore before heading home.  Arizona is famed for its geological, cultural, as well as culinary terrains, and I admit to knowing little about any of them.  I know eG is about food and not general tourism.  But if folks could point me towards some "not to be missed" destinations that satisfy more than one of these cravings, I can do more homework from there.  And if there are any culinary calendar events that time of year, please include those as well, I'd love to experience SW food beyond the restaurants.

Many thanks.

Check out Sedona, I find it very majestic...you can go crazy and hit the Grand Canyon...that is all I got for you as far as sights

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

I'll be making my first trip to Arizona in February for a conference in Phoenix.  Based on the many recommendations I'm finding here, I'm sure I will eat well in my three days in that city.  But of course I'm trying to squeeze in a few extra days in the Southwest to escape the cold, snowy New England weather that I'm sure will await me back home.

So where do I go? I'll rent a car and will have 4-5 days to explore before heading home.  Arizona is famed for its geological, cultural, as well as culinary terrains, and I admit to knowing little about any of them.  I know eG is about food and not general tourism.  But if folks could point me towards some "not to be missed" destinations that satisfy more than one of these cravings, I can do more homework from there.  And if there are any culinary calendar events that time of year, please include those as well, I'd love to experience SW food beyond the restaurants.

Many thanks.

A day in tucson will give you an opportunity to see what Arizona people are truly like. Tucson is historic and modern, mulitcultural and exciting, plus the restaurants are tops....from high award-winning dining to the best darn Mexican in the States.

Tuscon down to Bisbee for sure. Sedona is topographically astonishing (as is much of northern AZ), but I can't speak to the gustatory pleasures there. However, as a New Englander used to mediocre "Mexican" food, I can tell you that nearly any place you find in southern AZ has remarkable food, far better than anything around here. Grocery stores themselves are astonishing, particularly if you like Mexican food and bring an extra suitcase; there are chiles, other ingredients, equipment, and fresh masa everywhere.

Finally, you must, must, must eat a few Sonoran hot dogs at El Guero Canelo in South Tucson. As I report here, they are the finest hot dogs on earth.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thanks for the ideas and links, everyone.

I'm definitely looking forward to real Mexican food and plan to bring things home. Ideas on ingredients and equipment would be appreciated as well.

Hot dogs? My hot dog consumption is generally limited to a kosher frank when I'm at Fenway Park for a ball game. Doesn't sound Mexican but okay, assuming I head to Tuscon, guess I need to find out what a bacon-wrapped hot dog tastes like.

I'm not joking about those hot dogs. They are remarkable things, as are all of the condiments. Trust me on this one.

You can get better, cheaper corn husks for tamales, spices, chiles, and a lot more there than around here.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Tuscon down to Bisbee for sure. Sedona is topographically astonishing (as is much of northern AZ), but I can't speak to the gustatory pleasures there. However, as a New Englander used to mediocre "Mexican" food, I can tell you that nearly any place you find in southern AZ has remarkable food, far better than anything around here. Grocery stores themselves are astonishing, particularly if you like Mexican food and bring an extra suitcase; there are chiles, other ingredients, equipment, and fresh masa everywhere.

Finally, you must, must, must eat a few Sonoran hot dogs at El Guero Canelo in South Tucson. As I report here, they are the finest hot dogs on earth.

Totally on Guero's dogs - like nothing you've ever had!

Plus the atmosphere is amazing. I would recommend lunch not late night tho.

Thanks for the ideas and links, everyone.

I'm definitely looking forward to real Mexican food and plan to bring things home. Ideas on ingredients and equipment would be appreciated as well.

Hot dogs? My hot dog consumption is generally limited to a kosher frank when I'm at Fenway Park for a ball game. Doesn't sound Mexican but okay, assuming I head to Tuscon, guess I need to find out what a bacon-wrapped hot dog tastes like.

RE: your spelling of Tucson -it's cs not sc - We are very touchy about the spelling.

But you are not alone. Even the NYT got it wrong once upon a time.