• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The McRib is back!

jsmeeker

The McRib is popping up again in certain areas of the country.  I know they are available in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area again.

Get 'em while they last!!

My area missed out on the last go-round of McRibs. They keep pushing those freakin' Angus Burgers here instead. :hmmm:

The bastards. :angry::laugh:

I'll have to keep an eye out for them and hope they show up this time.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Whoo-hoo! I spy McRibs! Once the Monopoly promotion finished, they finally resurfaced in this area. They're having a 2 for $3.33 special right now. :biggrin:

Gosh, I'm so easy to please... :laugh:

Tim Oliver

Hello Daniel:

Thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's. We appreciate your interest in our McRib sandwich.

The McRib sandwich is a promotional product offered for a limited time only. Since the decision to offer promotional products is made on a region by region basis, I have forwarded your comments to the McDonald's regional office in your area for their consideration in deciding if they will offer the McRib sandwich to their customers next year.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's and sharing your comments with us. Hopefully, the McRib sandwich will be offered at your local McDonald's in the future.

Tami

McDonald's Customer Response Center

ref#:5584314

Any New Yorkers or New Jerzians want to start a letter writing campaign?

Edited by Daniel (log)

Dude...... I love the McRib.. Its been like 10 years.. They have these anywhere near Manhattan.  Is there some sort of McRib locator..

Not quite what you were looking for, but

http://kleincast.com/maps/mcrib.php

I can't believe there's really a McRib Locator...

The McRib locator. The culmination of millenia of human development. Our work here is done.

• 11 months later...

Yes, it's that time of year...the McRib is back and now appearing (if you're lucky) at a Mickey D's near you.

Get 'em while you can.

Tim Oliver

• 11 months later...

I can't believe a year has flown by already. :blink:

Mickey D's has their Monopoly promotion going on now which means the McRib will soon follow.

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

The Los Angeles Times has a story on the McRib obsession:

McRib's brief return has fans buzzing

The sandwich consists of a pork patty pressed into the shape of ribs. It's served on a hoagie-style bun with onions and pickles. McRib has 500 calories — 240 of them from fat — and 980 milligrams of sodium, according to the McDonald's website.

The nationwide promotion marks the first time in 16 years that the sandwich has been available at every U.S. McDonald's at once. The company is also holding a contest for the best tale (tall or otherwise) about hunting for or eating McRibs. The winner will get a free trip to Germany, where the sandwich is always on the menu.

Lucky Germans...

Tim Oliver

Today's Grand Rapids Press/milve.com has an amusing article about the McRib.

The company's coy marketing strategy, its decades-long tease, has resulted in a cult developing around the sandwich, whose enthusiasts travel vast distances based on Internet leads. It even inspired a parody on "The Simpsons," though it occurred in season 14, not very well-positioned on the bell curve of "Simpsons" quality, so a person can be excused for having missed it.

---------------

Somehow I've managed to get this far in life without eating a McRib. By which I mean I've never been drunk near a McDonald's that was selling it.

---------------

I visited Grand Rapids' Michigan Street McDonald's location...which, interestingly, shares a driveway with the parking lot of a medical school. Now that's synergy for you.

---------------

Intrepid follow-up research on Wikipedia reveals that it's a patty made of ground pork, and also some not-very-comforting information about its calorie count (500), fat content (26 grams) and quantity of sodium (oh, dear).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Intrepid follow-up research on Wikipedia reveals that it's a patty made of ground pork, and also some not-very-comforting information about its calorie count (500), fat content (26 grams) and quantity of sodium (oh, dear).

I'd guess the fans of McRibs don't really give calories, fat grams and sodium much weight (no pun intended) in their decision to consume it. I could see a problem if it was a regular menu item and you ate them with regularity. But it's a once-a-year item. I see no harm no foul with eating one once in awhile.

Tim Oliver

I had my first McRib yesterday, I'd missed them the first times around entirely, since I don't eat at McDonalds unless I'm on a road trip.

I liked it. I thought it was mighty tasty. I assume it's pork parts held together with meat glue and covered with sickly sweet sauce to hide its ugliness. You can kind of see inside without washing the sauce off, and what you see asks you to look out the car window instead, over at the crows that are eating castoff french fries.

You kind of have to hand it to them with the advertising thing, if they got me to actually turn around on the highway and buy one to try it. And I can't for the life of me figure out why because I'm also the sort of person who will do exactly the opposite of what everyone else does . . .

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The return of the McRib was supposed to be only for 6 weeks. But the last news item about the McRib I read is that individual franchises have the leeway to extend that deadline. However, if it hasn't disappeared off the menu of your local Mickey D's, it soon will. The only McDonald's that offer the McRib year-round are those in Germany.

During the six weeks of McRibs, McDonald's sales were up almost 5% which was attributed to the return of the seasonal sandwich.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Signs proclaiming "The McRib is Back!" are all over my local McD's.

Has anyone bought one yet?

My problem is that I haven't been around a McD's during a mealtime. My timing is off. Gotta work on that. :laugh:

Tim Oliver

not yet.. :huh:

They are available at the McDonalds near me. I pass by it every day going to work. And then coming home from work. Right at dinner dinner time... I'm sure I'll eventually get one.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I guess I'm in the minority because I think they're disgusting. I had my first one the last time they came out in my area and I tossed it after two bites. Good gawd it was aweful.

You may be in the minority, but you're not alone. I wouldn't eat one if you paid me. But then again, we've basically boycotted the place since... I dunno, the 90s sometime. We call McDonald's "Scottish food" after that line from the underrated movie "Time After Time" (1979).

H.G. Wells: This is delicious, far superior to that Scottish place I breakfasted.

Amy Robbins: Scottish?

H.G. Wells: McDonald's

So, when road tripping, I'll ask my wife, "What do you want to eat."

The usual reply is, "Anything but Scottish food."

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I just read an online article stating that they will be on sale through Nov. 14th.

I was able to finally taste one this past weekend. The unctuous porkiness was as good as I remembered. I am curious though...it seemed a wee bit smaller/shorter than I remember. Am I imagining this or did they slightly downsize it?

edited for spelking

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver