• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The McRib is back!

jsmeeker

I guess I'm in the minority because I think they're disgusting. I had my first one the last time they came out in my area and I tossed it after two bites. Good gawd it was aweful.

You may be in the minority, but you're not alone. I wouldn't eat one if you paid me. But then again, we've basically boycotted the place since... I dunno, the 90s sometime. We call McDonald's "Scottish food" after that line from the underrated movie "Time After Time" (1979).

H.G. Wells: This is delicious, far superior to that Scottish place I breakfasted.

Amy Robbins: Scottish?

H.G. Wells: McDonald's

So, when road tripping, I'll ask my wife, "What do you want to eat."

The usual reply is, "Anything but Scottish food."

I wouldnt eat one either( if you paid me or if I was starving on a deserted island). Just the thought of it makes me feel ill.

I had one today for lunch. It seems like they changed the bread from what I recall (your typical supermarket hoagie bun). Now it's more like the bread Arby's uses for their French Dip. A dry (but not crispy) exterior with cornmeal residue. This made the whole thing seem a bit too dry, despite the potentially messy slathering of BBQ sauce.

I think that if they added some coleslaw (or something) and returned to the softer bun they might have something. For me, a Big Mac works because the just-average meat only has to play a supporting role to other layers/flavors/textures. But here we have only molded pork, BBQ sauce, some grated onions, and a couple of pickle slices, and dryish bread.

Meh.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe this weekend is the last weekend the McRib will be offered by most McDonald's.

Eat up! :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I really like the fact that the onion in the McRib is a chunky onion. They are thickly sliced/cut, not diced. I can't think of another McDonald product that uses similar onions.

Logically, I would think the corporate mentality would be to use the onions they're already using on other McDonald's products (like the diced onion on the Quarter Pounder) to save on having to source differently sliced onions. A good example of this mentality is Taco Bell and how every "new" Taco Bell product just uses the same ingredients used in every other Taco Bell product but they are just reconfigured.

Has anyone else noticed the chunky onions?

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

When I left on my yearly Christmas vacation a week or so ago, I saw that the McDonald's here in town and in San Diego were still selling the McRib.

So now the question is have they become a regular unannounced menu item or are they still seasonal, albeit longer than usual?

Tim Oliver

There's an article here that clumsily misuses the term 'arbitrage' but identifies (see the chart that's a few screen-heights scroll down) a link between McRib availability and the market price of hogs.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I actually watched a FN program about McD around the world in 2011 and they stated that the McRib was a standard year round menu item in Germany - much favored after a night of too much booze

• 8 months later...

Sorry to break the sad news to y'all:

"McDonald's eyes the McRib for December"

]McDonald's...is delaying the debut of the meaty treat this year to bump up its December sales numbers...

Normally it's reintroduced every year in October.

Will Autumn ever be the same without the McRib? :huh:

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

McRib television commercials have appeared locally so it looks like McDonald isn't waiting until December for the McRib's debut this year. :cool:

Tim Oliver

I took the hit last year in another forum. I don't eat fast food normally much less McDonalds (shudder) but remembered that the McRib was tasty back in the 80's. So one was ordered and duly consumed. Pictures taken. Results posted.

It wasn't half bad but after the first couple bites it was pretty bland actually. Needed more sauce and onions. I'd rather have a $0.20 bowl of Ramen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Once again, the McRib has returned to my local McD's. I just wish they had more seasoning on them. They're kind of blah.

Tim Oliver

same sort of sweet mush as before on a soggy bun ?

I wouldn't say they're mushy. They do have a firm texture. The BBQ sauce is sweet and doesn't have any stand-out features.

I think the bun is a saving grace for the McRib. It's different than the usual McD's burger bun. It kind of reminds me of potato rolls where they have that little dusting of flour on the outside.

Tim Oliver

I wouldn't say they're mushy. They do have a firm texture. The BBQ sauce is sweet and doesn't have any stand-out features.

I think the bun is a saving grace for the McRib. It's different than the usual McD's burger bun. It kind of reminds me of potato rolls where they have that little dusting of flour on the outside.

Let's see: the sauce has no "stand-out" features, suggesting, to me at least, that it's at best bland, and the BUN is the outstanding feature (my understanding of your comment). So what does that say for the star performer in this act, the McRib itself?

How much does a McRib (which, as I understand it, has no ribs) cost? I'm thinking that, on a weight basis, it may be similar in cost to some real BBQ, which I'd rather eat than a McRib.

... Shel

In re-thinking my experience, I think you are correct with

"" They do have a firm texture ""

but its the sort of gelatinized texture one thinks of when one thinks of something made by glueing up " ????? " that was partially pre-digested to begin with.

glad someone didnt post the McR dissection photo vis a vis the egg and steak seen on the main McD thread

here:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/141515-mcdonalds-2013/page-2

you have to click on the two image ref's near the bottom of the page.

the second image tells the story .....

now if they had 2 for 1 ..... that would be intense.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1