• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The McRib is back!

jsmeeker

Even Graham Elliot Bowles from Avenues promotes the McRib.

Ya, but Rick Bayless promoted the BK sandwich, and that didn't make it any better (and it affected his reputation, as well)! :biggrin:

I think I was in junior or senior high school with the McRib first came out. I was pretty excited, because in Canada you can't get good rib anything! But even at that age, I thought it sucked. :sad:

I wouldn't mind of McD's brought back their pizzas. I liked those.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one the other afternoon at a McDonalds in Keller, TX. I am back home to FL and the guy that owns most of the franchises here (West Palm Beach area) never does anything creative. Then again he never hires anyone that speaks English nor knows how to use a mop and bucket.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and there is no McRib here. Bummer. It was around quite a few years ago but not now. What about there Ice Coffee? Not bad on a hot summer day. Although summer has past it was good when I picked one up in Sept.

• 1 month later...

It will get to you eventually, it just arrived here this month. I tried one just to compare it to the original. Yuck, instead of a pink juicy patty it was a shriveled gray patty, I hope it will be another 20 years before I try that again.

I <3 McRibs.

Yes, I know what's in them, and no, I don't care. Taking the slightest bite into one takes me RIGHT back to elementary school, where a staple on our menu was a McRibLike pork patty served on a hotdog bun with barbecue sauce. I'd swear the ones we had were even better than the McDonalds ones ;)

I haven't eaten at McDonald's in four years. I read Fast Food Nation around the time I saw Super Size Me. I can't go back. But I did love me some McRibs. One time, they had some sale on them in college and we gorged on them. We had a couple left after our binge and we rinsed the sauce off under the faucet. It looked like cigarette ashes in aspic.

I also secretly love those 7-11 microwave burgers. They make your car smell like a giant fart, and that's their upside. But I love them still. Totally inconsistent with someone who won't go to McDonalds, but I yam what I yam.

I also secretly love those 7-11 microwave burgers. They make your car smell like a giant fart, and that's their upside. But I love them still. Totally inconsistent with someone who won't go to McDonalds, but I yam what I yam.

Oddly enough, that's not selling me on the 7-11 burgers. :unsure: Glad we don't have 7-11 around here anymore, just to avoid any curiosity.

I'm still watching, but no McRibs in Wichita, yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ever notice the McRib always comes out around election time?  Coincidence?  I don't know...

:laugh: Reminds me of Otto van Bismarck's quote about the law and sausages.

I've been monitoring local McD's since this thread first showed up, to no avail - the vaunted McRib does not seem to have returned to this market.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Ugh. Double ugh. I tried one once and hated it. It didn't come close to resembling any rib I've ever had in flavor or texture. I suspect they are the same basic formula as the chicken nugget, only with pig parts instead chicken.

On the other hand, it must be almost time for Shamrock Shakes! I will definitely make a trip to Mickie D's for one of those.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

Ugh. Double ugh. I tried one once and hated it. It didn't come close to resembling any rib I've ever had in flavor or texture. I suspect they are the same basic formula as the chicken nugget, only with pig parts instead chicken.

On the other hand, it must be almost time for Shamrock Shakes! I will definitely make a trip to Mickie D's for one of those.

I think expecting a McRib to taste like ribs is about the same as expecting soymilk to taste like actual cow milk.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw a McRib ad and the first thing I thought of was this thread!

I've never had a McRib - maybe this was my lucky day? - but I can definitely appreciate the plight of the McRib lover!

By the way, I saw the ad in Montreal.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Sherry B, McRibbers!

I'm not sure why I thought this fast food enigma would make my heart skip a beat, but curiosity got the best of me, regardless! I think the nostalgia factor must kick it up a notch for the rest of you.

Although nostalgia can be deceiving. A while back I got a box of Cap'n Crunch, remembering it to be the most delicious cereal on the planet, even if my parents rarely let us get it. The result? Some damn disappointing cereal.

Me thinks a new topic is in order...

• 5 months later...