• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The McRib is back!

jsmeeker

It's back!

Within the past week or two, the beloved pop culture icon, the McRib, is back in many McDonald's restaurants throughout the land.

Do you secretly like the McRib? Will you go out and get one, even if you know how horrifying they are?

I must admit I, like many others, share a strange fascination with this pork product sandwhich. I remember when it was a regular menu item on the menu. Then it went away. But it kept coming back for limited runs, over and over. Then the Simpsons did an episode on it. (the Ribwhich at Krusty Burger). McDonalds even capitalized on this recently and had a "farewell tour" for it. But like the Rolling Stones, it's back. Again.

I can't resist. I want one. Who is with me??

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

One question...why?

Oh my - this is going to be interesting. Reminds me of the episode of the Osbournes when Jack announced it "The McRib is back"

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

It's back!

Within the past week or two, the beloved pop culture icon, the McRib, is back in many McDonald's restaurants throughout the land.

Do you secretly like the McRib? Will you go out and get one, even if you know how  horrifying they are?

I must admit I, like many others, share a strange fascination with this pork product sandwhich.  I remember when it was a regular menu item on the menu.  Then it went away.  But it kept coming back for limited runs, over and over. Then the Simpsons did an episode on it. (the Ribwhich at Krusty Burger).  McDonalds even capitalized on this recently and had a "farewell tour" for it.  But like the Rolling Stones, it's back.  Again.

I can't resist.  I want one.  Who is with me??

I will be buying one. Id also like that steak burger samich with the onions and steak sauce to return. I adore the BK Italian Chicken Samich too...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I think a bit of research might yield some information on the actual production of said faux rib product.

I say, take one home and break it down BEFORE you eat it. I'm interested in knowing the percentage of pork to mystery substance ratio.

I won't eat it. Maybe if I was stranded somewhere or kidnapped and held for ransom and this is all that was available, maybe then I'd have a bite. :wacko:

I don't understand the pickles...

I hate McDonalds, but for some reason, that's the one thing I like from there (maybe because it is somewhat unique for fast food). I did stop by one this weekend, during a long trip, to buy a Coke, and saw that they had the McRib in NC.

Edited by Reignking (log)

I think a bit of research might yield some information on the actual production of said faux rib product.

I say, take one home and break it down BEFORE you eat it. I'm interested in knowing the percentage of pork to mystery substance ratio.

I won't eat it. Maybe if I was stranded somewhere or kidnapped and held for ransom and this is all that was available, maybe then I'd have a bite.  :wacko:

If I knew that, I wouldn't eat it!! :blink:

Pickles on barbecue sandwhiches is pretty common. At least it is in Texas with brisket. It's normal to have it served that way or at least available at a condiment bar.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Yeah, I'm totally there. Yeah, I also know they're gross ground up pork badness. I know they're loaded with sugar, fat, crap, and reconstituted onions, and I'm still all over it. It's a friggin McRib.

This is like a 10+ year craving, being satisfied. I gotta go find out if my local McD's is doing it. I might stop there on my way home from the gym tomorrow.

Now I'm going to have to check and see if they've hit Canadian McDonald's. I don't care how bad they are, I loved them.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

In Italy, there is a McDonald's pork sandwich called the "McPink." It was never actually available; anytime I passed a McDonald's in a train station or something, there was a decal reading "In Vacanza" across the picture. Does anyone know if the McPink is just a McRib for Italians?

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

I don't understand the pickles...

Ah, perhaps that's the key element that makes the McRib work so well (can you tell I'm a fan of the sandwich? :laugh: ).

As with most pork-centered meals, an acidic or tart element helps to cut the richness of the pork. For example, pork roast and sauerkraut, mustard and pork sausage, pork chops and apple sauce, etc.

The pickles provide that acidic note needed to balance the porkiness of the McRib. It wouldn't be a McRib sandwich without them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I had my third one in two weeks today (since I saw the "McRib is Back!" sign outside my local McD's). I would never try to figure out what's in them. I couldn't do that to myself. When I once worked at McDonald's as a teenager someone asked me what was in them, then said almost immediately, "No, wait, don't tell me! I don't think I could it eat it then!" and then proceded to order 2.

I always get extra pickles (the sauce is so sweet, I need the sour), and the onions at my store are real, not the reconstituted ones from the hamburgers - I know because I had to slice them and I'm a severe onion wimp. I always looked like my mom had just died when I was done!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I am totally out of the closet, about junk food. I am just about the opposite of what one would think of as a "gourmet foodie". I love to cook, I love to eat, I love exploring the science of food and learning about excellent food, from any and every cuisine and culture...but a good greasy McRib still makes my heart thump.

Balance is the key here.

Edited by Lilija (log)

Oh, great, there goes my lunch money for the next month!

Ever since I stumbled upon a test-market roll-out in Ottawa, Kansas in 1981, I have lusted in my heart for the McRib. They're messy, they're bad for you, I question whether the meat involved was ever NEAR a piggy's rib, but it matters not. I will not be denied my McRib fix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Maybe, but probably not. I tried one once, and though I knew it came out of an assembly line of ground-up, molded-to-shape meat formed to look like four slats of a fence, I just could not get past the shape of the thing.

Besides, it was recommended by Chris' brother, who WILL NOT, CANNOT eat onions. Every meal they ever had in our house, he stressed that he could not eat anything with onions in it. He'd examine every dish before taking a serving, then he'd pick through every bite on his plate to make sure. And at Thanksgiving every year, I'd make him a separate little pan of cornbread dressing, sans onion.

Then, he just kept saying how he liked those McRibs, and how he couldn't wait til lunchtime. I think he had one every day for weeks and described them in such ecstatic terms, I ordered one. And bit straight into several bits of raw onion---fresh, not those little re-hydrated crumbs they put on burgers. Never made any special dishes for him again.

So, enjoy something you like---different tastes make the world go round.

rachel,

whose recipe for chicken salad contains powdered sugar (it's a Southern thing)

Edited by racheld (log)

Well... walked across the street to the fallen arches here in San Dago... no McRib (yet). SO sad. But--- part of the joy of being a consultant was eating lunch out of the vending machines and dinner in the best place in town. And all of it on the client's dime! (Insert evil laugh here). Just because you know the difference is no reason to be a snob about slumming it.

hvr

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Well... walked across the street to the fallen arches here in San Dago... no McRib (yet).  SO sad.

No McRib here either. :sad: They keep promoting those darn Angus Third pounders.

Boo. Hiss. I want my McRib! :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

In Italy, there is a McDonald's pork sandwich called the "McPink."  It was never actually available; anytime I passed a McDonald's in a train station or something, there was a decal reading "In Vacanza" across the picture.  Does anyone know if the McPink is just a McRib for Italians?

From a picture I found, it looks more like Spam, or maybe a pork roll. I couldn't find too much information about the McPink... what I could find was that:

- it's also sold in Spain;

- it appears to have been introduced in response to fears of mad cow disease; and

- if so, that's a weird choice of name, given that it suggests undercooked pork...

I'm happy for all of you who love the McRib, but I'll have to pass on this one as I did when it was originally introduced. I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys the McRib since I've eaten my share of junk food and still have junk food cravings I satisfy--Screaming Yellow Zonkers, Hostess "fruit" pies and chocolate cupcakes, 7-11 Slurpees, etc. It's just something about a product like the McRib that seems like it'll probably have that pre-chewed quality/texture about it I just can't stand, like their chicken McNuggets (the documentary "Supersize Me" should cure anyone from craving those IMHO), Pringles potato chips, and those awful identical pre-fab onion rings some restaurants sell.

Besides, I'm already boycotting McDonald's because of this nonsense.

Edited to say: I'm not blaming McDonalds for her arrest/harassment, but it is my understanding that they suspended her immediately and didn't stand behind her or at least remain impartial in the matter.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!