• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2007 Corporate Holiday Party Ideas

coughy

• 2 months later...

I've read through 20 pages of post titles with nothing similar popping up, so I thought I would post this on my sister's behalf.

Any ideas for someone who :wub: good food? Pretty please?

I have to organize a Christmas party for my company. These are the requirements:

Date - Friday, 14 Dec 07

Time - 6-7pm

Number - 30 people

Budget - $100 per person (including tax/tip so approx US$80 per person excluding). Can go slightly higher if the food is worth it. Hopefully, alcohol is included too (most ppl in the group don't drink anyway so we won't need too much alcohol)

Cuisine - anything non-Chinese (asian fusion is okay) and FABULOUS of course.

Location - anywhere in Manhattan. Ambience is secondary to good food.

Thanks in advance

I (heart) good food!

that's a rough budget. fabulous food isn't going to happen. and most places with that kind of party room are usually booked by now anyway...

Blue Smoke or Hill Country?...they both have the space and hit the price point...

Hello,

I have been in charge over the past couple of years in coordinating my organization's holiday lunches. Over the past 5 years, our staff has grown from 5 to 25. This year's holiday lunch, I thought it would be more fun, and less annoying for fellow diners, to have our own private dining room. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for restaurants that have a private dining space open for lunch that can accommodate 25 people comfortably. Currently, I am thinking of looking into 5 Ninth, Alto and Craftbar.

I welcome any suggestions or recommendations.

Thank you in advance! :smile:

Liz

Well I guess my criterias would be that the private room/space would comfortably fit 25 people. It would have to be at a restaurant that has plenty of options for vegetarians, which is about half the staff but they still eat fish/seafood. And our budget is probably $35/person for lunch, which does not include drinks.

Thanks!

yup. and that's not including tax and tip. plus restaurants often mandate a specific set menu that's somewhat more expensive for large groups doing private dining (that's why Lupa's out).

frankly, at that budget I'd forget about getting a separate room and just concentrate on trying to find somewhere you can afford that will seat a group that large. maybe you'll luck out and they'll have a separate room.

does anyone know if La Nacional serves lunch?

At Ssam Bar, you could all have great Bento box lunches - I think there's even a tofu option...no private room, but usually not very crowded at lunch.

Since I'm only half-kidding with the above suggestion, a place like Congee Village has private rooms. Sounds like you're looking for something a little more upscale, however.

Check out restaurant week (click) for places that possibly do a lunch special year round - for instance, a place like I Trulli has a $28 3-course lunch menu year round and might be just right for a group like yours.

Tabla does a $25 lunch, according to their web site.

Shelley's on West 57th. does and it's main focus is now seafood.

Aquavit's year round prix fix is a bit more at $39.

And so on.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

numerous places do a $25 lunch year round (that's why RW is such a joke)....that doesn't mean they'll do it for a group of 25 people.

heck, JG or Perry Street come in at that price point for lunch....but I kind of doubt they'd be willing to offer that deal to a large group during holiday season...

Edited by Nathan (log)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I expect that we will have to have a pre-fix menu lunch considering the size of the group. I didn't know if restaurants would be willing to allow a group of 25 to allow everyone to order a la carte. Also, I don't want to wind up at a white linen restaurant. Last year, I organized our holiday lunch at kittichai, but that was when we were 18.

By the way, when I mentioned $35/person, I was not including tax, tip and drinks.

Mitch, in my experience private dining is usually (not always, but in the majority of restaurants where I've looked into it) more expensive per person than a restaurant's standard menu. I think this is primarily because a private room is bought out for an entire sitting, whereas in the regular dining room you can do two or three turns. In addition, private dining is a major profit center for restaurants that do it. The old adage about how restaurants make their profit at the bar could be applied equally to private dining.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Mitch, in my experience private dining is usually (not always, but in the majority of restaurants where I've looked into it) more expensive per person than a restaurant's standard menu. I think this is primarily because a private room is bought out for an entire sitting, whereas in the regular dining room you can do two or three turns. In addition, private dining is a major profit center for restaurants that do it. The old adage about how restaurants make their profit at the bar could be applied equally to private dining.

Totally understand that - but I thought we had all decided for ScorpioEL that the private dining room wasn't going to work...anyway, do most restaurants, in your experience, do the private dining room for lunch? And, are there two or three turns at lunch?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I think the cheapest option EMP has for lunch is something like a 3-course, chef's choice menu for $38 or something where you don't have any choices.  I doubt EMP would fit into the budget.  $35 is really tough to work on.

It's actually 2 courses at $38 - and you're right - chef's choice.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

pdr (private dining room) at eleven madison may fit your bill for $35/person for lunch plus drinks......they overlook the main dining room, definitely look into it.

Didn't they not too long ago get a new executive chef?

yes, Daniel Humm. it's now very critically acclaimed and more expensive than before.

Totally understand that - but I thought we had all decided for ScorpioEL that the private dining room wasn't going to work...anyway, do most restaurants, in your experience, do the private dining room for lunch? And, are there two or three turns at lunch?

restaurants will do private dining anytime that it makes economic sense for them to do so...including times when they're not normally open...

large parties are almost always forced to go with a separate fixed menu that's more expensive than the normal check. especially during holiday season. that's the big factor here...it's not August. it's November/December. restaurant profit-maximization months.

I don't think Scorpio should give up on private dining. I'm telling you, the "Back" of the Boardroom at Becco. It seats up to 28 and is quite nice. I've recommended Becco for lots of events over the years, including a couple of large extended-family dinners that I got roped into helping to plan, and it has always been highly satisfactory in the requested price range. Even the serious foodies in attendance are usually surprised by what a nice job Becco does.

Private dining room lunches are popular. Breakfasts too. Pharmaceutical companies, sales meetings, trade associations, commodities boards . . . all these types of operations book a lot of private dining during the day and invite clients, press, etc. If you're in the wine-and-spirits press you get a lot of these sorts of invitations.

Depending on the restaurant, the number of turns at lunch varies a lot -- there are certainly restaurants that do 2 or 3 turns on busy weekdays -- but, educated guess, at nice places the citywide lunch average is probably 1.5 turns and the dinner average 2.5.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't think Scorpio should give up on private dining. I'm telling you, the "Back" of the Boardroom at Becco. It seats up to 28 and is quite nice. I've recommended Becco for lots of events over the years, including a couple of large extended-family dinners that I got roped into helping to plan, and it has always been highly satisfactory in the requested price range. Even the serious foodies in attendance are usually surprised by what a nice job Becco does.

Private dining room lunches are popular. Breakfasts too. Pharmaceutical companies, sales meetings, trade associations, commodities boards . . . all these types of operations book a lot of private dining during the day and invite clients, press, etc. If you're in the wine-and-spirits press you get a lot of these sorts of invitations.

Depending on the restaurant, the number of turns at lunch varies a lot -- there are certainly restaurants that do 2 or 3 turns on busy weekdays -- but, educated guess, at nice places the citywide lunch average is probably 1.5 turns and the dinner average 2.5.

Thanks Fat Guy, this information is very helpful and good to keep in mind for the future.

I think the cheapest option EMP has for lunch is something like a 3-course, chef's choice menu for $38 or something where you don't have any choices.  I doubt EMP would fit into the budget.  $35 is really tough to work on.

It's actually 2 courses at $38 - and you're right - chef's choice.

Sorry to ask, but what is EMP?

Edited by ScorpioEL (log)