• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Miroir for first time

cakedecorator1968

Hi,

A supplier recommended Miroir neutral to me for glazing varioous products.

"No need to heat or dilute, just brush it on fruit tarts, cake tops etc".

I tried brushing on this ready to use product and I don't like the results. Out of the bucket it's to thick and doesn't seem to set up nearly as well as say a pectin based apricot glaze product, it stays kinda sloppy.

Do you use this product? If so, how do you use it and what products do you use it for?

Thanks!

I use both hot and cold process glazes-for diff applications. The neutral "cold" process actually works very well if you thin it out with just a tap of hot water , and whisk to smooth. Ideally suited for those "constructed" tarts where each fruit is composed atop of a base. Out of the bucket for glazing a mousse cake, it also works well, but it's very plastic in texture, so a couple of swipes with an off set usually does the trick. You can use a hot process glaze mixed and heated with water, and add a percentage of the cold process to "tighten it up" play with it, and see what the results demonstrate.

Michael :smile: