• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South Street Seaport Foodie Spots!

chefboy24

went down to south street/front street yesterday

some really cool stuff north of the mall

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/17198/

check out this article here

some some insanely delicious fisher island oysters and muscadet at stella maris (aparently the chef was at le bernardin for a while) - definitely need to go back soon to try the fish, but his winelist needs help!

picked up some neato cocktail glasses a la pegu club from pansanella and son vinters (and btw that store is exploding with style, marco pansanella is like a male martha stewart!)

there's a neato wine bar and serious coffee shop.

its a fun space, and calatravas cubes are possibly going up where the parking lot currently is

Did you (or anyone) happen to check out Veronica's Kitchen? It's on Front and Pine Sts. and the owner (Veronica Julien) was a participant in this year's Vendy Awards.

Evidently (I didn't get to try her food at the awards) there's some damn good jerk chicken and oxtails, so I plan on making a trip down there very soon to try some for myself.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

there's a neato wine bar and serious coffee shop.

You got my attention with the coffee shop. There fewer than five coffee shops in all of Manhattan that I consider to be serious in terms of consistency and ongoing pursuit of highest possible quality in espresso drinks (9th Street and cafe grumpy are the two I tend to frequent when in town).

Can you tell us more about the coffee place down there in the seaport?

Jack's Stir Brew is great. 2.50 for a large coffee. Highly reccomended.

And if you haven't been down to Front Street, it's a really nice, laid-back, just set off from the Seaport street. Reminds me of Philadelphia more than any other place in Manhattan. Small street but a really cool vibe.

- KOBI

my guess is that the number of people who have been down that way recently is pretty limited.

(I work downtown but when I leave work at 8 or 9 the last thing I want to do is stay down there)

I've been to a few of these places, and since I live in the area I really really want to find some great stuff. Recent signs are encouraging, but of the many I've tried, none seemed particularly worth singleing out. There's a New Zealand-themed restaurant with slightly above average food that seemed promising, but like many joints near the financial district, it's turned into a noisy happy hour haunt filled with loud drunk junior bankers and the women who love them, to the point where it's impossible to sit and eat anymore. There's pretty serviceable Italian food at Barbarini Alimentari, although the space isn't really much...they do deliver, though! Quartino changed ownership and name, but still seems to be an organic oriented Italian eatery that is pleasant without being really distinctive. Great rustic space, though. Stella Maris is good if you keep it simple, but we had a couple of really awful dishes there as well.

I've been meaning to try the wine bar (Bin 220), and a few of the other places along the miniature restaurant row, and will definitely report back if there's anything outstanding.

I wouldn't say any of the new places in the area are real foodie spots, but I hope to be wrong soon!