• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Tell Dead

GlorifiedRice

Chef Tell, TV pioneer, dies at 63

By SARAH LARSON

Bucks County Courier Times

Before chefs were as celebrated as rock stars, there was Chef Tell.

The well-known local chef, who gained national fame in the late 1970s on the syndicated television program “Evening Magazine,” has died at the age of 63.

Chef Tell Erhardt's wife, Bunny, said Monday that he died Friday of an apparent heart attack.

Services will be Monday, Nov. 5, which would have been Chef Tell's 64th birthday, at 11 a.m. at St. Luke's Church in Ferndale, according to his wife.

Read on:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/105...07-1432165.html

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

This is so sad.

My husband and I ate at his Manor House resto about four years ago. The food was wonderful, but a little too fancy for my "hamburg and french fries" guy. We went for Saturday lunch and were the only folks in the place. Chef Tell cooked to order and then hung out in the dining room enjoying a quiet day with a wonderful view of the river.

I always meant to get back there and never did.

Anyway, a wonderful guy. He'll be missed.

As a child, Chef Tell was my favorite part of Evening Magazine. When I teach, I find myself often using his tagline, "Very simple, very easy." What a loss--and at a fairly young age, too. Thanks for posting about this.

So sad. I was just talking with a friend who brought him up in conversation over the weekend.

So many fine brunches were had at his place on the River road up in Upper Black Eddy. Has anybody bought that building and done anything with it yet? It had been for sale for years.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

So sad.  I was just talking with a friend who brought him up in conversation over the weekend. 

So many fine brunches were had at his place on the River road up in Upper Black Eddy.  Has anybody bought that building and done anything with it yet?  It had been for sale for years.

I had many a meal at his Chestnut Hill Hotel place in the old days. What a nice guy and what a good cook. It is a shame that his old TV stuff isn't available on youtube. At least I can't find it.

Many years ago when I worked at the old Host Farm Resort in Lancaster Chef Tell was there to do a demo for one group I can't remember. He wanted a little brandy and came to the bar. I gave him a glass and he said he just wanted it for show, said the crowd always loved a nice fire.

Later after his gig was done he came over to me and thanked me and said they all loved it. He sat and talked to me for while and was a true gentleman, did not act like a big-timer. He simply could not have been any nicer to me and my bar staff.

• 8 months later...

Bit of a late response, but I recently got a copy of his "Chef Tell Tells All", mainly as a sort of tribute to the man who was one of my earliest influences and inspirations. I ordered it from a second-hand place and was hugely surprised to see that not only had it been autographed by the author but that it had an autographed photo of him inside, seemingly used as a bookmark.

added bonuses. :biggrin:

Sincerely,

Dante