• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gloucester, MA recommendations?

kkeym

Hello

We're heading up to Gloucester for the weekend, any recommendations for places we must dine? We'll be there Friday afternoon through Sunday breakfast, maybe lunch. Also, we're staying at a place with a kitchenette, so would love recommendations for good grocers as well.

thanks!!!

Hello

We're heading up to Gloucester for the weekend, any recommendations for places we must dine?  We'll be there Friday afternoon through Sunday breakfast, maybe lunch.  Also, we're staying at a place with a kitchenette, so would love recommendations for good grocers as well.

thanks!!!

The Franklin and Alchemy downtown are both good; if it is still open, Mad Fish out in Rocky Neck is on the water and quite good. Not sure about grocery stores, but you may want to check this out:

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/200...ts_get_to_shop/

What are you looking for exactly? Type of food? Price range?

I'm a big fan of the Clam Box in Ipswich, one of the clam shacks all over Cape Ann.

Hi Chris

We're pretty much up for anything, don't have anything in mind. This is a quick getaway, don't really have any notions yet.

By the way, good to see you in the ProJo recently!

Kkeym

rather than spend all your meals in gloucester, you might want to try Beverly, where SOMA gets good reviews on Chowhound. Hope you get to go to Beauport, Henry Sleeper's handsome house (museum) on Gloucester's Rocky Point. and the Cape Ann Historical Society- great little art museum. Passport on Main St. has nice brunch and lunch.

My favorite place in Gloucester is Ducworth's Bistrot. Intimate room, great food, excellent wine. In east Gloucester on the way to Rocky Neck. Dinner only.

http://www.duckworthsbistrot.com/

Tryst in Beverly is also quite good. Ithaki in Ipswich for Greek inspired food.

Plenty of Clam places, mostly around Rt. 133 in Essex, Ipswich.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all

We ended up having most of our meals in, but did go to 2 places --

Causeway Diner (on the recommendation of a local) -- had calamari, very fresh, light batter, lots of legs, just the way I like 'em; mussels, tasty but a bit sandy; eggplant parmesan, which was good but not outstanding, huge portion; and linguini with white clam sauce, fresh, large pieces of clam, a little rubbery but tasty.

We also went to the Franklin, went to the bar upstairs, which was comfortable and had a good selection. We had appetizers there -- braised short ribs, which were very good, and duck quesadilla, which was outstanding.

We also discovered New Orleans Absolut vodka when we were there, hadn't seen that before. mango and black pepper flavored. very nice.

thanks for your suggestions

Kkeym

• 8 months later...

Wondering if anyone has been to Duckworth's or Franklin Cafe recently, or if one is to be recommended over the other.

Anything new to consider in Gloucester or Rockport? We're planning on a few meals of fried clams/lobster (Farnham's, Essex Seafood, Clam Box, Lobster Pool) but also looking for a bit of a nicer dining experience.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We were at Duckworth's two weeks ago and had a great meal. Haven't been to the Franklin recently, but I think they are in the process of selecting a new chef. I'm not sure what, if any, impact that has on their menu and/or quality. There is a new place, Latitude 43. Mixed reviews, mostly good reports on the sushi though.

Edit to add: I heard the clam box closed, but that doesn't seem to be the case on their website.

Edited by Snowy is dead (log)

We were at Duckworth's two weeks ago and had a great meal. 

Cool - that's where we made one of our dinner reservations for...the other night we're in Gloucester, we're gonna wing it and try the Lobster Pool or Causeway, I think.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ate at the Lobster Pool a few days ago and thought it was outrageously good. Lobster, lobster bisque, onion rings were all great, and the person in my party with the lobster roll seemed content too. Loooooong wait, but it was Saturday night, so what can ya do. All I can tell you about the fried clams is that the serving size is absurdly large.

Also had a great breakfast at The Greenery... Rockport @ Bearskin Neck? If you don't get enough seafood in your other daily meals their lobster omelet and crab frittata got raves from my fellow breakfasters.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

BTW, how long is a loooong wait?

I wasn't paying close attention -- we were catching up with family friends while one of our party took responsibility for the ordering -- but between the standing in line to order part and the waiting for the food to be ready after that part, it had to be at least an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Again, this was Saturday night around 8, so I imagine other times might be less crazy.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media