• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sloppy Joes

SobaAddict70

Like HVRobinson said, sloppy joes are a definite hybrid of the flavors of chili, spaghetti sauce, plus I would say a bit of bbq sauce flavor thrown in as well. 

The sloppy joes that my family liked best had much more of a sweet and sour tang to them than either chili or spaghetti sauce do.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I make my own and the ingredients to follow are not exact and made to taste.

2 - 21/2 lbs good ground beef or turkey

1 onion chopped

1 tsp garlic to taste fresh, powdered or granular

Black pepper

Kosher salt to taste

1 16 oz can tomato sauce

A couple of shakes Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or to taste

Buttered toasted hamburger buns

In a large frying pan or Dutch oven brown meat and onions till completely cooked. Add the remainder of the ingredients and cook till bubbly simmer and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.

Taste the mixture and add more sugar or vinegar to your taste (kids of course will like it on the sweeter side)

If the mixture appears too soupy for buns add 2 teaspoons cornstarch to 1 tablespoon of water. Mix well and pour into bubbly mixture and stir. In a few seconds, it should thicken up. If not, adding another bit of cornstarch mixture, it will not affect the taste.

This has been a staple in my family for years after my roommate and I made it almost every day over 20 years ago. (Relatively cheap ingredients)

i use 1/2 ground pork, 1/2 ground beef......don't drain the fat......

packaged mccormicks seasoning but @ only 1/2 the recommended amt, imo this keeps the meat from being overpowered by the spices....

i hate manwich, my mother and my wife think it's awesome.....not me

a little beer to hydrate the spices.....i to a consistency between "sloppy", and what you would find on a good loose meat....

cheap buns....

topping=potato chips......

clausen dill pickle spear on the side ftw........

The October 2007 issue of Gourmet magazine has a recipe for "Sophisto Joes" that I'm going to have to try; it contains canned whole tomatoes, an onion, garlic, unsalted butter, a chopped carrot, a celery rib, ground beef chuck, chili powder, ground cumin, dry red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. It's served on kaiser rolls.

It's on page 177, with morsels tumbling out from between the two halves of a bun, for those whose taste buds became erect after reading the list of ingredients. :raz::laugh: