• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants without menus

Alex&Rufusmom

I'm traveling to NYC next weekend with my boyfriend to celebrate our first anniversary since meeting last year. We'd love to try something a bit daring like a restaurant without a menu?? The chef prepares whatever he's in the mood to prepare that night and nothing more?? We both have very adventurous palettes so I think it would be fun to try. I've heard of them but don't recall any names?? Has anyone been to a good one?? If so, would love the name, address and phone number??

Thanks

I'm traveling to NYC next weekend with my boyfriend to celebrate our first anniversary since meeting last year.  We'd love to try something a bit daring like a restaurant without a menu?? The chef prepares whatever he's in the mood to prepare that night and nothing more?? We both have very adventurous palettes so I think it would be fun to try. I've heard of them but don't recall any names??  Has anyone been to a good one?? If so, would love the name, address and phone number??

Thanks

Ali's Kabab Cafe in Astoria, Queens. Just went there last Saturday, and Ali is in fine form. We had braised lamb shanks, sweetbreads, baby chickens, marinated hanger steak, whole roasted tilapia, tripe in tomato sauce, and some other salads I can't recall right now. No menus. He'll just recite what he's serving for the night and you choose what you want. BYOB. He sells wine, but it's not great, so it is a better idea to bring your own. No corkage fee. It was around $40/person. Not exactly a date place, so I don't know whether it would be appropriate for a anniversary dinner, but if food is of primary importance, it's a good choice. Ali, as you'll find out if you do some research, is quite a character, and half the experience is interacting with him.

25-12 Steinway St.

I'm traveling to NYC next weekend with my boyfriend to celebrate our first anniversary since meeting last year.  We'd love to try something a bit daring like a restaurant without a menu?? The chef prepares whatever he's in the mood to prepare that night and nothing more?? We both have very adventurous palettes so I think it would be fun to try. I've heard of them but don't recall any names??  Has anyone been to a good one?? If so, would love the name, address and phone number??

Thanks

Ali's Kabab Cafe in Astoria, Queens. Just went there last Saturday, and Ali is in fine form. We had braised lamb shanks, sweetbreads, baby chickens, marinated hanger steak, whole roasted tilapia, tripe in tomato sauce, and some other salads I can't recall right now. No menus. He'll just recite what he's serving for the night and you choose what you want. BYOB. He sells wine, but it's not great, so it is a better idea to bring your own. No corkage fee. It was around $40/person. Not exactly a date place, so I don't know whether it would be appropriate for a anniversary dinner, but if food is of primary importance, it's a good choice. Ali, as you'll find out if you do some research, is quite a character, and half the experience is interacting with him.

25-12 Steinway St.

We are both very laid back people so the atmosphere isn't really the main attraction...its the food. Thanks so much for your reply.

On the Japanese tip, well, obviously any "omakase" meal at a sushi bar will be an off-the-menu experience, even though the vast majority of what is present will be on their a-la-carte and specials menu -

However, Tsukushi is probably as daring as you can get, there is no menu there and the course changes daily.

There's also a lot of great eats in Chinatown where all you can do is point-and-pray, unless you can read Chinese that is...

On the Japanese tip, well, obviously any "omakase" meal at a sushi bar will be an off-the-menu experience, even though the vast majority of what is present will be on their a-la-carte and specials menu -

However, Tsukushi is probably as daring as you can get, there is no menu there and the course changes daily.

There's also a lot of great eats in Chinatown where all you can do is point-and-pray, unless you can read Chinese that is...

Well, we both love Asian cuisine so Tsukushi sounds like it could be a possibility?? I guess we'll make some calls and decide from the choices that have been suggested. Thanks for your reply.

I just read the link to another post about Tsukushi. Sounds like speaking the language is a plus when it comes to being served?? Lucky me....Adam speaks the language. So when I tell him tonight about the place, I'm sure that is where we'll be eating. Thanks again for the tip. I'll have to let you know what we think of the meal.

Edited by Alex&Rufusmom (log)

Well, we both love Asian cuisine so Tsukushi sounds like it could be a possibility?? I guess we'll make some calls and decide from the choices that have been suggested. Thanks for your reply.

I just read the link to another post about Tsukushi. Sounds like speaking the language is a plus when it comes to being served?? Lucky me....Adam speaks the language. So when I tell him tonight about the place, I'm sure that is where we'll be eating. Thanks again for the tip. I'll have to let you know what we think of the meal.

I strongly agree with the recommendation of Tsukushi. I've always been a fan of the place and the food is really good (and feels "homey" even if you're not Japanese). Not much to look at but a great experience. Nice that you have someone who speaks the language, but it's really not essential at all. They're very accommodating of their few Western customers, and the menu-less format makes lots of communication about the food unimportant. Also, most of the employees speak enough English to make anything relevant quite clear.

Another option for you is Mamlouk in the East Village. I haven't been in a while, but it used to be a pre-determined meal with no menu and I had several very good meals there. It's middle eastern and they bring you about 8 rounds of food, all of which is very well made and quite authentic. The atmosphere is also transporting, and makes a nice date place.

I strongly agree with the recommendation of Tsukushi. I've always been a fan of the place and the food is really good (and feels "homey" even if you're not Japanese). Not much to look at but a great experience. Nice that you have someone who speaks the language, but it's really not essential at all. They're very accommodating of their few Western customers, and the menu-less format makes lots of communication about the food unimportant. Also, most of the employees speak enough English to make anything relevant quite clear.

Another option for you is Mamlouk in the East Village. I haven't been in a while, but it used to be a pre-determined meal with no menu and I had several very good meals there. It's middle eastern and they bring you about 8 rounds of food, all of which is very well made and quite authentic. The atmosphere is also transporting, and makes a nice date place.

Well, that sounds like yet another choice. Thanks for the suggestion. We also love middle eastern food so I'm sure Adam will be into checking it out. If not this weekend, then the next time we venture into the city. But I think he's set on trying out the Japanese place. He travels to Japan quite frequently so he's interested in comparing food prepared here vs in Japan. And no he doesn't usually eat where tourists eat in Japan since he has very good friends who live there.

raji,

Had to drop you a quick note to thank you for the recommendation. We loved Tsukushi!!!! The food was like nothing I have ever had before. Adam however has had "family style" cuisine in Japan. He too was very impressed. The chef and staff were all very impressed with his language skills. We had a blast. We ate more food than we should have and had to walk it off afterwards. Again, thanks for the tip and we will definitely go there again next time we are in the city.

Edited by Alex&Rufusmom (log)

Had to drop you a quick note to thank you for the recommendation. We loved Tsukushi!!!! The food was like nothing I have ever had before. Adam however has had "family style" cuisine in Japan. He too was very impressed. The chef and staff were all very impressed with his language skills. We had a blast. We ate more food than we should have and had to walk it off afterwards.  Again, thanks for the tip and we will definitely go there again next time we are in the city.

Anytime. I find it quite impressive that the chef can deliver every course with confidence that every customer, Japanese or not, will like it, and still depend on repeat business, without having to offer a menu. I believe you CAN make subsitutions by asking what the courses are that day, however. How many chefs can do that?

Marchi's Restaurant on 31st St. & 2nd Ave. is Italian with no menu. Not fancy but always good food and excellent service. It was always a good spot for a family dinner where you didn't want to spend time choosing what to eat, just enjoying the food and your company. It isn't adventurous at all. They've been serving the same menu as long as I can remember. It is good food.

Here is a link to a review. Marchi's

KathyM

Marchi's Restaurant on 31st St. & 2nd Ave. is Italian with no menu.  Not fancy but always good food and excellent service.  It was always a good spot for a family dinner where you didn't want to spend time choosing what to eat, just enjoying the food and your company.  It isn't adventurous at all.  They've been serving the same menu as long as I can remember.  It is good food.

Here is a link to a review.  Marchi's

Thanks, I'll file that one away to explore one of our trips too.

Marchi's Restaurant on 31st St. & 2nd Ave. is Italian with no menu.  Not fancy but always good food and excellent service.  It was always a good spot for a family dinner where you didn't want to spend time choosing what to eat, just enjoying the food and your company.  It isn't adventurous at all.  They've been serving the same menu as long as I can remember.  It is good food.

Here is a link to a review.  Marchi's

WOW! I had no idea that place was still there! I haven't heard anyone mention it in decades. As a kid, my parents took me there from time to time. I remember when I was about 5, hearing them describe a restaurant that had no menu, and couldn't imagine such a place, so I asked them to take me. It may have been the beginning of a long foodie career (along with winning a dinner at Lutece as recompense for acing some important standardized tests). As I remember, no one dish is particularly outstanding, but the overall family dining experience is fun, and you get a lot of decent, soulfully prepared dishes. The pasta was one of the better courses. Great with a group. N.B.: My info is about 25-30 years old.

Edited by LPShanet (log)