• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Korean Grille in KCMO

kendix

Am I crazy or is this not bad for fast food? Keep in mind that I haven't had a ton of Korean food and it all tastes great to me but considering how fast and cheap it is, I've enjoyed both the spicy pork and the bi bim bap I've had there.

Am I crazy or is this not bad for fast food? Keep in mind that I haven't had a ton of Korean food and it all tastes great to me but considering how fast and cheap it is, I've enjoyed both the spicy pork and the bi bim bap I've had there.

Is this new? I'm always trolling for a decent dol sot bi bim bap.... do they have? How's the banchan there?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Is this new?  I'm always trolling for a decent dol sot bi bim bap.... do they have?  How's the banchan there?

Eh, no banchan. It's counter service and really more like fast food. I wouldn't recommend this place if you're really into Korean food. I'm sure there are better places.

This place just happens to be near my mom's house and super fast.

Speaking of, what are your favorite Korean places in KC?

Eh, no banchan.

that's too bad - that's half of why I love Korean fare.
Speaking of, what are your favorite Korean places in KC?

Well, since you brought it up - I don't really. Living in the Northland puts a cramp on regular ethnic dining. The only place I know of that has anything remotely authentic is Choga on Metcalf... And I believe it's owned by a Chinese.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I've eaten at Cho Ga a couple of times. It was good, but not remotely close to us, so we don't go often.

The banchan was interesting. Two of us were brought at least 7 banchan. It included the usual kimchee, fried and marinated tofu, a really good zucchini dish, shredded potato salad, pickled chile daikon, and warm soybean sprout salad, all very tasty. The oddest banchan was a marshmallow, celery and apple salad, similar to the ones I've suffered through at certain relative's Thanksgiving dinners. Didn't understand that one at all!

We had b ibim bap, which we liked quite a bit, and a pork dumpling soup that was very good. There was a family of Asians sitting close to us that had the grill going with bulbogi and other meats. It looked and smelled wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...

It was years ago now, late 80's, but there was a Chinese Place near the River - in the then newly hip historic district, where I found a wonderful dish of assorted goodies that you ate with hot mustard sauce (like chinese mustard but prepared a little differently) and other condiments. It had Jellyfish, carrots, omlette, daikon, cooked beef, and other items arranged on a platter. I fell in love with it. On further visits they told me it was actually Korean - the hip Chinese Restaurant was owned by a Korean family. I don't think it's there anymore - last time I was there I could not find it. Umm. Never saw this on another menu, But I have seen this in Korean cookbooks under special dishes. I did have a similar presentation in Chicago of cooked pork belly with raw oysters. Sounds odd, but another magical meal. It was served with hot soybean and chili sauce, mustard sauce, and vinegar, as well as various kimchee, and veges on the platter as well.

• 2 months later...

I had lunch with chileheadmike today at Chosun, off of 127th and Metcalf. It was my first time eating there, but I have to say that the Soon Tofu stew I got was incredible. A very flavorful and spicy broth with soft tofu, scallions, onions, chopped zucchini and little bits of beef. In this weather it was the best of all possible worlds. Mike got bim bap which he really enjoyed, and the lunchtime banchan included kimchi, some type of marinated bean sprouts, what I was told were noodles made from fish paste, grilled chile tofu, and one or two other things I can't recall. When I'm in the neighborhood I'll be stopping in again just to get some more of that great tofu stew. Most of the booths were outfitted with the Korean grills, and I'd be curious to try that at some point when I have more time. Great service, LOTS of space, big booths.....overall a very nice little restaurant wedged in between a Quizno's and The Peanut.

I've been searcing for a good soon tofu recipe online all evening (so if anyone HAPPENS to have one....), and apparently I need to get to an Asian market to pick up some Korean chile powder to get the flavor right. Not like I need my arm twisted to go spice shopping.....

Anyway, based solely on my single experience I'll be back very soon. One batch of soup for lunch, and two or three more for carryout.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011