• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Affordable/Cheap/Budget London Restaurants

haha...im already going to st john's with another friend :) Thanks for the suggestion though....and ill definitely look up wagamama as well...never heard of it! I think i remember reading that one of the better italian restaurants in london has an affordable set menu for dinner...but i can't remember which!

Vinoteca Wine Bar in Clerkenwell or Gorden Ramsey's The Narrow gastropub (restaurant side) on the Regent Canal in Limehouse are two options. Helen and I were at both in the last fortnight. For a casual dinner with rustic Med food and good drinks try The Eagle also in Clerkenwell.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Any suggestions for a cheap-ish option in the nottinghill gate area. Looking for a relaxed option suitable for a small group where price doesn't make anyone feel uncomfortable.

On a related theme - does anyone know the name of the neighbourhood italian that has opened on Kilburn Lane? think its called something like Ima - looks interesting. Better still, has anyone been?

many thanks

I just posted this reccomendation somewhere else; however, it makes even more sense here as it is notting hill specific.

Galicia on Portobello Road (corner of Golborne) is excellent value for money. I highly suggest you reserve if you're more than 4, it is almost always busy.

I think i remember reading that one of the better italian restaurants in london has an affordable set menu for dinner...but i can't remember which!

There are several fine italians in London with menus below the £30 for 3 courses (you will find rather extensive info on italians in london here) but of course once you add drinks and service charge you'll end up more towards the £40-£45. i think it is impossible to eat really good italian cuisine in london for less.

enjoy.

Hey everyone. I'm going to be in london this coming week, and I'm looking for an affordable restaurant to go to with a friend on saturday night....Id prefer not spend much more thatn 25-30 pounds per person. Can anyone make any recommendations? Any types of restaurants/cuisines are welcocme :). Any restaurants that have excellent food and affordable menus?

Thanks,

-Charlie

Arbutus in Frith St, Soho is reasonably priced (you'll get away with £60 without wine and they sell all of their wines in demi litre pichets) for a high standard of cooking. See my review on www.goodfoodundressed.blogspot.com.

Philip Dundas

pipsdish.co.uk

twitter.com/pipsdishes

Geales in Farmer St, just behind the Gate Cinema has long been a staple of Notting Hill though has recently been transformed from batter and mash cheap and cheerful to something posher overseen by Michelin-starred chef Garry Hollihead. Fay Maschler describes it as an exquisite 'New Labour' transformation and gives it 3 stars. Gill thinks it's an improvement as do most of the others. But it's no longer the answer to good value weekday dinners it once was. Should be tried though if £40 ahead is 'cheap-ish'.

Philip Dundas

pipsdish.co.uk

twitter.com/pipsdishes

I would back Hereford Road - had a very pleasant meal there week beofre last - decnt wine list, reasonable prices and you would certainly not feel uncomfortable there. Not earth shattering food, but none the less very pleasant.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

hmm, the only reviews I've read of Geales since its revamp have been less than complementary. Matthew Norman even apologised on behalf of the Queen in his review: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,2124518,00.html

Gill wasn't sure either: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle1849771.ece

Supose the only way to find out is go yourself1

Yes I'm definitely in mourning of the original which though flawed, was reliably so. And having not had cause to venture into the new one we've only got these guys to rely on. For some reason the fish and chip restaurant seems to have done its day. I have a feeling Manzi's in Chinatown closed, is that right?

Philip Dundas

pipsdish.co.uk

twitter.com/pipsdishes