• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Affordable/Cheap/Budget London Restaurants

Hello!

My girlfriend and I are going to London this Thursday for a few days, and we're on something of a limited budget. Does anyone have good recommendations for cheap and GOOD eats in London? General or specific suggestions?

Hello!

My girlfriend and I are going to London this Thursday for a few days, and we're on something of a limited budget.  Does anyone have good recommendations for cheap and GOOD eats in London?  General or specific suggestions?

The one I always recommend is Tas Restaurants. The one near Shakespeare's Globe is better than the one near Southwark Tube station, IMHO, in terms of atmosphere. I haven't been to the others. Very prettily decorated and set menus from £7.99 and, believe it or not, the food is good. It's also plentiful. Okay, it's not typically English but it certainly fills you up and for about as you cheap as you get for a sit-down meal in London.

http://www.tasrestaurant.com/

New Tayyab (pakistani/indian). There's a thread somewhere.

Tas is a good choice. There a new one near the branch in The Cut.

Lunches in higher end places are cheaper than dinner.

Noodle bars in the West End eg Satsuma (Wardour St)

Depends what you like. Lebanese tends to be good value, especially if you're in the Edgware Road area, as does Indian (though be careful - higher-end Indians can be as spenny as anywhere...) Tapas is also good - try Ole opposite Fulham Broadway tube station.

If you want trad Brit, then fish 'n' chips - Brady's in Wandsworth old town is good - but you have to queue as they don't take bookings. There's also a mental steak house in York Road, Wandsworth/Battersea called Jack's Place - it's certainly... errrrm... eccentric - but fun.

The sushi and noodle bars in Soho are quite good value, and it's good to explore the streets of Soho while you look for somewhere you like. I'd avoid Chinatown though - comically rude waiters and sub-standard food to flog to tourists.

Also, London is famous for its 'gastropubs', and very good they are too. Check out http://www.viewlondon.com/eat_feat_gastropubs_best.asp . The food will be cheaper than in a restaurant and the atmosphere far more relaxed - this is also how most Londoners eat out during the week so you'll be joining the locals.

If you're here on Friday then you MUST check out Borough Market - a very old food market near London Bridge. But you'll suffer frustrated cook syndrome if you don't have access to an oven. Eating here on the run is a good bet though - don't miss Wyndham Farm's chicken wraps, or Brindisa's jamon Iberico Joselito (though this is DEFINITELY not a budget ham!). Go in the morning - it gets very crowded at lunchtime with office workers looking for lunch/food for the weekend, and tends to start winding down after the lunchtime rush.

Also if you want an English breakfast and an unforgettable experience go to Smithfield's Market. There's an incredible place there that caters for the workers at this meat market, offering beer and monumental fry-ups very early in the day (mostly used by those reprobate members of the public who haven't yet been home). Youhave to get there early - the market starts closing at around 8 - but if you fancy a pint and an artery-clogging place of protein then this is the gaff for you.

Great -- I've heard a few things about Borough Market so far, and between the recent issue of Gourmet focusing on London, as well as a piece in last week's NY Times, I'm already sold on it.

I'll check out that gastropubs link; thank you all for the help! :) We're flying out of Newark on Thursday morning early, and promise not to stand around and snap pictures like tourists are apt to do. ;)

Another tip - stand on the right on the Tube escalator, or you'll get snarled at [nothing to do with food, but it is important to follow local customs...]  I do hope that you enjoy yourself - I'd also recommend Strada for good pizzas in London.

What, we wouldn't stand on the left, like driving? ;)

No worries -- I've mastered the fine art of escalator etiquette. If only the few million others here in NYC could figure it out...

Another question, and I'm not sure if this should be a separate thread or not -- as far as 'local cuisine' goes, is there anything I should look out for? Special 'local favorites,' for lack of a better phrase to describe it? I'm even curious about good local beer/ale.

If you're here on Friday then you MUST check out Borough Market - a very old food market near London Bridge. But you'll suffer frustrated cook syndrome if you don't have access to an oven.

this is so true. i've vowed to myself that next time i go to london or paris or barcelona or rome for longer than a couple of days i'm going to get an apartment instead of a hotel room. we were just in barcelona for a week and the boqueria market was driving me nuts because i couldn't buy and cook anything.

Eating here on the run is a good bet though - don't miss Wyndham Farm's chicken wraps, or Brindisa's jamon Iberico Joselito (though this is DEFINITELY not a budget ham!). Go in the morning - it gets very crowded at lunchtime with office workers looking for lunch/food for the weekend, and tends to start winding down after the lunchtime rush.

there's a stall in borough market that sells chorizo and arugula sandwiches that are so simple and so tasty that it's amazing. they're also cheap.

If you're here on Friday then you MUST check out Borough Market - a very old food market near London Bridge. But you'll suffer frustrated cook syndrome if you don't have access to an oven.

this is so true. i've vowed to myself that next time i go to london or paris or barcelona or rome for longer than a couple of days i'm going to get an apartment instead of a hotel room. we were just in barcelona for a week and the boqueria market was driving me nuts because i couldn't buy and cook anything.

Eating here on the run is a good bet though - don't miss Wyndham Farm's chicken wraps, or Brindisa's jamon Iberico Joselito (though this is DEFINITELY not a budget ham!). Go in the morning - it gets very crowded at lunchtime with office workers looking for lunch/food for the weekend, and tends to start winding down after the lunchtime rush.

there's a stall in borough market that sells chorizo and arugula sandwiches that are so simple and so tasty that it's amazing. they're also cheap.

that's Brindisa. great place. i'm a Wyndham Farm chicken wrap girl myself, though.

there's a stall in borough market that sells chorizo and arugula sandwiches that are so simple and so tasty  that it's amazing.  they're also cheap.

Do you know where, or would the Borough Market site perhaps have this info?

I'm a chorizo fanatic.

Brindisa is pretty easy to spot with the huge line snakeing out from where they sell the chorizo sandwiches.

If you really want to do Borough Market right I would say try and get there by 10 - 10:30 on a Saturday. Any later and it starts to get insane. Friday's are calmer but I always get the sense things are missing, especially in the area with the temporary stalls (Where you should def try the hot (alcoholic) cider if they are still around when you get there)

But to be more precise when you come past the barriers at London Bridge Tube you want to go up the stairs that are straight ahead of you. At the street that is directly in front of you make a right. There will be the Brindisa Tapas bar right there. Then a vegetable stall. After that Veg stall (but before the better one with the wild mushrooms) there is a corridor into the market. Hang a right and Brindisa is the first stall on your right once you get into the market proper. But believe me you can't miss it. They really are awesome but maybe not worth wait unless you get there right at 11 when they start coming off the grill. BTW if you hang a right into that first passage way a few stalls down is the Ginger Pig where you can feel the sense of shame that comes with realizing how much better their pork, bacon, and sausages are then anything you can get in New York. Seriously I am not a fan of London food in general, but they are fantastic.

Another can't be missed place for a New Yorker at Borough Market is Neal's Yard Dairy. Remember that street you came out of the tube onto where you walked past the veg stands, well if you keep going and make the left past the pub (where you'll see the absurd Monmouth Coffee line), Neal's Yard is on your right. If you show up before things get nuts they'll usually let you try lots of stuff.

Side Thought: If Cheese is a really big thing for you I think La Fromagerie is def. a place you should want to hit up. They have two outlets Marlyebone (sp) and Highbury. I go to the one in Highbury and on Sundays its pretty empty and they'll let you try lots of stuff - but frankly if you are staying in the West End thats a hike and the Marlybone one is "nicer". And once again way better than anything you'll get back home.

London Cheap Food in general though compared to cheap food in New York is not as good and the definition of cheap is certainly not mine.

The best piece of advice I got from a friend when I moved to London about drinking and dining was "pretend its in dollars" Believe me thats the only way to justify it, until I realized this fact I was eating yogurt for two meals a day.

Sorry for the ramble.

Brindisa is pretty easy to spot with the huge line snakeing out from where they sell the chorizo sandwiches.

If you really want to do Borough Market right I would say try and get there by 10 - 10:30 on a Saturday. Any later and it starts to get insane.  Friday's are calmer but I always get the sense things are missing, especially in the area with the temporary stalls (Where you should def try the hot (alcoholic) cider if they are still around when you get there)

But to be more precise when you come past the barriers at London Bridge Tube you want to go up the stairs that are straight ahead of you.  At the street that is directly in front of you make a right. There will be the Brindisa Tapas bar right there.  Then a vegetable stall. After that Veg stall (but before the better one with the wild mushrooms) there is a corridor into the market. Hang a right and Brindisa is the first stall on your right once you get into the market proper. But believe me you can't miss it.  They really are awesome but maybe not worth wait unless you get there right at 11 when they start coming off the grill.  BTW if you hang a right into that first passage way a few stalls down is the Ginger Pig where you can feel the sense of shame that comes with realizing how much better their pork, bacon, and sausages are then anything you can get in New York.  Seriously I am not a fan of London food in general, but they are fantastic.

Another can't be missed place for a New Yorker at Borough Market is Neal's Yard Dairy.  Remember that street you came out of the tube onto where you walked past the veg stands, well if you keep going and make the left past the pub (where you'll see the absurd Monmouth Coffee line), Neal's Yard is on your right.  If you show up before things get nuts they'll usually let you try lots of stuff. 

Side Thought: If Cheese is a really big thing for you I think La Fromagerie is def. a place you should want to hit up. They have two outlets Marlyebone (sp) and Highbury. I go to the one in Highbury and on Sundays its pretty empty and they'll let you try lots of stuff - but frankly if you are staying in the West End thats a hike and the Marlybone one is "nicer".  And once again way better than anything you'll get back home.

London Cheap Food in general though compared to cheap food in New York is not as good and the definition of cheap is certainly not mine.

The best piece of advice I got from a friend when I moved to London about drinking and dining was "pretend its in dollars"  Believe me thats the only way to justify it, until I realized this fact I was eating yogurt for two meals a day.

Sorry for the ramble.

I wouldn't bother with La Fromagerie personally. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Neal's Yard will suit you just fine.

If you really want to do Borough Market right I would say try and get there by 10 - 10:30 on a Saturday. Any later and it starts to get insane.  Friday's are calmer but I always get the sense things are missing, especially in the area with the temporary stalls (Where you should def try the hot (alcoholic) cider if they are still around when you get there)

But to be more precise when you come past the barriers at London Bridge Tube you want to go up the stairs that are straight ahead of you.  At the street that is directly in front of you make a right. There will be the Brindisa Tapas bar right there.  Then a vegetable stall. After that Veg stall (but before the better one with the wild mushrooms) there is a corridor into the market. Hang a right and Brindisa is the first stall on your right once you get into the market proper. But believe me you can't miss it.  They really are awesome but maybe not worth wait unless you get there right at 11 when they start coming off the grill.  BTW if you hang a right into that first passage way a few stalls down is the Ginger Pig where you can feel the sense of shame that comes with realizing how much better their pork, bacon, and sausages are then anything you can get in New York.  Seriously I am not a fan of London food in general, but they are fantastic.

Another can't be missed place for a New Yorker at Borough Market is Neal's Yard Dairy.  Remember that street you came out of the tube onto where you walked past the veg stands, well if you keep going and make the left past the pub (where you'll see the absurd Monmouth Coffee line), Neal's Yard is on your right.  If you show up before things get nuts they'll usually let you try lots of stuff. 

Side Thought: If Cheese is a really big thing for you I think La Fromagerie is def. a place you should want to hit up. They have two outlets Marlyebone (sp) and Highbury. I go to the one in Highbury and on Sundays its pretty empty and they'll let you try lots of stuff - but frankly if you are staying in the West End thats a hike and the Marlybone one is "nicer".  And once again way better than anything you'll get back home.

The best piece of advice I got from a friend when I moved to London about drinking and dining was "pretend its in dollars"  Believe me thats the only way to justify it, until I realized this fact I was eating yogurt for two meals a day.

Sorry for the ramble.

I wouldn't bother with La Fromagerie personally. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Neal's Yard will suit you just fine.

Just to complicate matters, I would disagree - La Fromagerie is fantastic (especially the Marylebone branch) - not only for their entire walk-in closet of cheeses but for the sights and smells of the deli itself. It is truly a feast for the senses. Don't miss it.

Sorry for the ramble.

Interesting. What makes you say that quality of the cheese? Selection?

I actually prefer it to Neal's Yard only because it has a much broader array of choices. I could see a very strong argument though for Neal's Yard Irish/British focus making it more essential for a visitor to London.

Sorry for the ramble.

I actually prefer it to Neal's Yard only because it has a much broader array of choices. I could see a very strong argument though for Neal's Yard Irish/British focus making it more essential for a visitor to London.

I don't like it. The last two occasions I went to La Fromagerie some of the cheeses weren't in the fantastic condition the place's reputation deserves, whereas I've never had that problem in Neal's Yard. Another gripe - and I realise this isn't to do with the cheese - is that I find the staff at La Fromagerie cold and snooty - and quick to point out any gaps in one's knowledge - whereas the Neal's Yard team are always impeccable, accommodating, friendly - I just find it a more pleasant experience.

I agree: although I work near the Highbury branch of La Fromagerie, whenever I go in for anything more than a sandwich they seem unfriendly and reluctant to advise. By contrast, Neal's Yard staff are always incredibly helpful, offering tastings and advice as if they're actually pleased to discuss their produce and glad of my custom!

Hmmm. I live near the Highbury one too and I've not really found that at all. They are always friendly, talk about the cheese and give me some good tastes. They do tend to try and sell up a bit and the prices are NOT low, that I'll give you. The condition of the cheeses is generally good I find although once or twice they've been a bit far gone - a chevre kinda exploded once... Neal's yard is great too though, just a slightly different style of cheese.

Sorry for the ramble.

I don't like it. The last two occasions I went to La Fromagerie some of the cheeses weren't in the fantastic condition the place's reputation deserves, whereas I've never had that problem in Neal's Yard. Another gripe - and I realise this isn't to do with the cheese - is that I find the staff at La Fromagerie cold and snooty - and quick to point out any gaps in one's knowledge - whereas the Neal's Yard team are always impeccable, accommodating, friendly - I just find it a more pleasant experience.

I think that both places warrent a visit. Everything which has been said about Neal's Yard and the friendliness of the staff, focus on great British cheese, etc is true. It is also true that the staff at La Fromagerie is snooty. However, we are dealing with two different types of cheese vendors. Neals Yard is a much more casual place and that is reflected in the decor (or lack of), friendliness of staff, and arrangement of cheeses. Dairy products are what Neals Yard is about...specifically British dairy.

La fromagerie is a much more formal experience. Cheese is enshrined in a special "cave" which is climate and humidity controlled. Upon entering the cheese room, one feels as if one has entered an elegant shrine for cheese (primarily French). In the main shop, elegant pastries, bread, and high-quality take away food is sold, as well as pretty decent wines (again, primarily French). Additionally, there is a cafe where one can enjoy elegant food and wine, as well as cheese.

I know which one I prefer (Neal's Yard), however La Fromagerie is a great place to go to, particularly for lunch.

Another tip - stand on the right on the Tube escalator, or you'll get snarled at [nothing to do with food, but it is important to follow local customs...]

and dogs must be carried :biggrin:

I quote Philip Howard in "The Times":

I agree that clueless tourists are irritating when they ignore the customs and conventions of the rush hour. I saw one puzzled by the notice, "Dogs must be carried on the escalator". She was looking for a dog to carry to allow her on the moving staircase.

Made me smile!

Charley

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Thanks to all for your advice in this thread.

We had a great time -- the first full day there, we ended up at Borough Market, and got our chorizo sandwiches, which were fantastic and simple.

We ended up all over London, as well as Manchester, and spent a few days up in the Lake District. It was fantastic, and we dined incredibly well.

excellent news - i'm delighted! but tell us more - where'd you go? what'd you have? what were your general impressions? eager for more...

Oh, we were all over the place.

Flew in Thursday night, and headed to Gourmet Burger Kitchen for a blue cheese burger with Stilton.

Friday was Borough Market for the chorizo sandwich and a scoop of maple walnut ice cream. Later, we put back some pints of Magner's at this pub near the London Underground Museum, and ended up at S&M for a dinner of sausages and mash. I went with the Cumberland, the Wild Boar, and the Thai Pork sausages. Fantastic!

Saturday, we went to Brick Lane for samosas and Red Stripe. Then we were off to Notting Hill to do a tad of shopping. We ended up at Sainsbury's to pick up food for our weekend at our friend's cottage in Grasmere. On the way to Grasmere (on the M1), the timing belt blew and we ended up at the services in Scratchwood (?).

Finally took the last train out from London Euston to Manchester, and drove the remainder of the way to Grasmere. Had a lot of good home cooking there, stopped at a couple of pubs (the Badger Bar was one) and snagged some Grasmere Gingerbread before heading back to Manchester on Monday afternoon.

We missed our train out of Manchester, so we dined on Indian food and then took the later train to London.

Tuesday was a trip to Harry Ramsden's...honestly, we've got a chip shop over here in Brooklyn that does better fish & chips. I was a little disappointed.

And then Tuesday night, we flew back to NYC.

The high point of the whole trip? I am now in love with Branston pickle.