• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Equipment for Making Chocolates...

merlicky

Okay, I’ve made some ganaches and most have turned out. I have now had a few that haven’t. I’ve saved some by adding corn syrup as described in Making Artisan Chocolates and I’ve read a few threads that give plenty of other options too. But, I also had one that wouldn’t come together.

I’ve arrived at the conclusion that I do not have all the equipment that I need to make chocolates (or at least to save them). Any recommendations on the essential tools that I need and what the best brands (that are also economical in price) would be?

Thanks,

Mike.

For making ganache there's not a lot you need - a mixing bowl, a suacepan and a whisk. If you're making dark chocolate ganache, a hand/immersion blender can be handy to stop it splitting (or put it in a food processor if you have one).

gap is right, there's not a lot that you need. A hand-immersion blender can be handy. I have one but only use it very infrequently. When you need it, you need it, and it can save a ganache that's splitting.

99.9% of the ganaches that I make can be made with a spatula.

If you're having a lot of trouble with the ganaches, then it might be a) the recipe you're using, or b) the chocolate.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks. I figured you didn’t need much since I’ve gotten them to turn out without much, but with that last batch that just wouldn’t hold I began to wonder.

Also, I’m not completely familiar with terminology for some of these things; is a stick blender and an immersion blender the same thing? And, what is a good brand to buy since I’ve seen some comments in other threads about some less expensive brands not working very well?

Mike.

Thanks.  I figured you didn’t need much since I’ve gotten them to turn out without much, but with that last batch that just wouldn’t hold I began to wonder.

Also, I’m not completely familiar with terminology for some of these things; is a stick blender and an immersion blender the same thing?  And, what is a good brand to buy since I’ve seen some comments in other threads about some less expensive brands not working very well?

Mike.

That's right, stick = immersion.

Can't help you about the which to buy, though. Mine is a Braun that I bought in France. Had to be a whopping voltage converter to use it here in the states...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I used to use a regular home stick blender, a cuisinart or something. That kind of thing is fine, depending on how much you use it. However, if you're going to become a serious user...I now use a professional robocoupe one...it's great, but it isn't exactly cheap.

So long as you're not going to use it enough to overheat, I think you'll do fine with any of the decent home kitchen models.

Randall Raaflaub, chocolatier

rr chocolats

Thanks.  I figured you didn’t need much since I’ve gotten them to turn out without much, but with that last batch that just wouldn’t hold I began to wonder.

This is probably heresy around here, but I'm finding ganache is not universally ganache. Between Shotts' book, the Greweling book, and Rechiutti's book, you can find a variety of textures in the outcome, largely varying on the % use of butter and "second sugar" content.

Additionally, there are two major approaches (roughly speaking & depending on recipe):

1. Boil the cream/corn syrup and pour it hot onto the chocolate and let it sit 30 seconds - 1 minute and then stir, finally adding (softened) butter

2. Melt and temper the chocolate, add the butter, boil cream/corn syrup, let cream cool to 105F or so and add it to the chocolate mix

In the end, everything ends up all together but I find #2 leads to a smoother ganache, on average.

IMO the easiest book to use (well, if you have invert sugar and a ton of butter laying around :wink: ) is Rechiutti's, and he frequently uses a stick blender. Seems almost impossible to break a ganache if you follow his steps. Though if you get his book you'll eventually want to practice your caramel skills... Also his ganaches and caramels lean towards the soft side... more difficult to work with when hand rolling/dipping but it can be done.

But I'll agree that the fundamentals are probably just 1 decent sauce pan for heating the cream & stuff, one mixing bowl, and a spatula or wooden spoon. I guess if you ever infuse tea or lavender or something into the cream, you'll need a strainer.

If you want a recommendation on spatulas, I say get the Zyliss silicone spatulas for stirring. :biggrin:

The only other thing is you might get is some piping tips & bags if you decide to do something like a butter ganache piped onto a chocolate disc or you just generally get tired of the scoop & roll bit.

If you go beyond the basics and start getting into molds:

- Immersion blender can be useful, but we rarely use one. Ours is a Cuisinart.

- Heat gun (I use a mini Hello Kitty hair dryer :raz: )

- Heavy sauce pan for caramels, and bowl of ice water

- Many Silpats!

- Laser/infrared thermometer, though I only use this when all hell breaks loose and I forget where I am

- Metal offset spatula for scraping the molds (I like this better than a table scraper)

- Disposable vinyl gloves, for handling finished chocolates or sculpted intermediate pieces

- Aztec or Mayan God statue, kept nearby to increase the chances your chocolate won't bloom

Edited by Nyago123 (log)