• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

President's Choice Bento

Peter the eater

Bento can be many things to many people, I always think of working lunches I used to do in Vancouver. Vancouver has good bento! I have been on the lookout for those little boxes here in Halifax, and there are now a few restaurants with great bento but nobody has an actual box for sale. Then I saw this PC brand bento at the grocery store:

gallery_42214_5306_57296.jpg

It looks like a decent product, and for five-ish bucks why not get one? Last time I bought a "tv dinner" was a Swanson's Salisbury steak back in 1992. The salmon teriyaki was calling me and I was just as interested in the box itself since it looked so good on the package. What a disappointment. The edamame was the best part, the rice was dry and chewy, and the salmon was overcooked yet cold in the middle despite the claim on the front: UNCOOKED. But the worst part: a super crappy flimsy plastic tray that looked nothing like the package. Was I wrong to expect something more?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

You get what you pay for, though I have always had good luck with president's Choice products when I could find them. It doesn't surprise me that you would get crap for $5.00, but it does surprise me that you got crap from President's Choice.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Was I wrong to expect something more?

I'm afraid you were :sad: .

They're tv dinners. I think they sell for about $3 at my local Superstore (part of the Loblaws chain). I'd head over to their kitchen equipment area and take a look there. They had some cool, inexpensive sushi sets there this summer -- maybe a bento box will show up some day.