• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel apple slices

maxmillan

I want to make caramel apples but in individual slices as opposed to a whole apple on a stick.

Do I need to dip the slices into lemon water before dipping it into caramel? Or will the caramel aone prevent oxidation?

Also, I want to dip some of the caramel apple slices into chocolate for a two layer effect. Is this possible?

Also, I want to roll/stick marshmallows and nuts on top of the caramel slices and caramel chocolate slices.

Should I do the quick method (melting caramel candies) or the slow method (made from scratch?) Would the taste differ that much?

I basically want to make bite sizes and present it as dessert.

I thought of doing this to the whole apple (just like Rocky Mountain) and slicing it but the apple would be exposed to oxidation and would not look appealing after a couple of hours.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

How about dusting the cut sides with Real Lemon powder (most supermarkets carry this now) and placing them on a baking sheet and running a fan on them for a few hours. Flipping them over and fanning the other side. Then dipping them.

It might dry them out sufficiently, but not too much to soften.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I refuse to say how long it took me to find this site, but I KNEW I saw this somewhere in the past 2 months....apparantly on Iron Chef.

Its not looking good though

http://kitchen.apartmenttherapy.com/food/g...ar-syrup-034301

tracey

the chocolate first just might work - I was also thinking mayber a quick dip in powdered sugar first

Oh yeah on Food Network tonight someone mentioned that Crispin apples dont brown off as fast as most

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I refuse to say how long it took me to find this site, but I KNEW I saw this somewhere in the past 2 months....apparantly on Iron Chef.

Its not looking good though

http://kitchen.apartmenttherapy.com/food/g...ar-syrup-034301

Why not just use little lady apples? Easier, far less waist (what was that person going to do with

those gored-out apples?)

The cookie crumb idea is good.....chopped, toasted nuts might work, too!

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I've just found a possible answer for you! It's called Apple Friandises and is found in Pastry's Best magazine Nov 2006. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll PM you the recipe. In brief the process is as follows: Poach in a syrup of water, sugar, rum, lemon juice and spices for 8 - 10 minutes. Chill for 24 hours in the poaching liquid. Make your coating syrup. Drain apple pieces, roll them in poppyseeds and shredded coconut. Dip them in the syrup using a wooden skewer and then replace it with an Isomalt skewer. This may be more involved than you hoped but it looks like one method that works.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden