• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

e-WINE tracing the bottle

SWISS_CHEF

I'm just back from the Salone del Vino conducted by Slowfood in Turin and I have discovered something interesting called e-WINE.

gallery_25747_5325_21453.jpg

photo from Torinowireless

Using a special 2 dimensional bar code called a QR code. You can photograph the code with your cell phone and download endless information about the wine. Here is a sample of what the info will look like. Note: click on the pictures on the top right for more info about the winery, vineyard and food parings.

They don't have press ratings like Robert Parker and Gambero Rosso but I am sure that will follow in the future. I spoke to Gianluca De Cantis and he says he will send me all the info in English. When I get it I will post it here.

The label with the QR code:

gallery_25747_5325_21835.jpg

Edited by SWISS_CHEF (log)

Very cool. Does the phone need special software to use the photo to get the info?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Very cool. Does the phone need special software to use the photo to get the info?

Well yes, but Nokia is standardizing it in their new phones and some are already capable of reading it, so in a year or two all phones will be able to do it.