• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramelized oranges

torakris

I have to admit I have never actually seen this recipe outside of a cookbook, so I am not really sure what it is supposed to look like. This sounds like a very simple recipe, sugar and water simmered until golden then poured over orange slices.

How can someone mess this up? :hmmm:

My second attempt

gallery_6134_184_1097134112.jpg

It is hard to tell from the picture but the bottom part is completely liquid and there are hard crunchy bits in the top corner.

My first attempt had just liquid, but a very light color at that.

gallery_6134_184_1097015177.jpg

What exactly are these supposed to be like? Are the hardened caramel pieces in the first picture a mistake or this that the way it should be?

What is the best water to sugar proportion? I looked at 10 recipes and they were all different.

I don't want to go too fancy with alcohol or a lot of spices, maybe a cinnamon stick?

Suggestions for fixing this dish are greatly appreciated.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

if you are trying to pour a caramel over the orange slices you are not allowing the sugar to caramelize properly. what you want is the sigar to turn from a colorless sugar syrup to a golden/brown caramel.

Id suggest starting with less water which would make the process go faster, and waiting till the sugar is a lot darker in color. if you want it to be a pourable sauce, you might want to finish the caramel with a bit of double cream. onve you have the color you want, take the caramel off the heat and whisk in a bit of double cream, and you get a nice caramel sauce that does not harden on top of the orange slices.

How will you be using these? That might help with getting an idea of what the final result might look like.

Personally, if I was trying to caramelize oranges, I would probably line a pan with foil, place the rounds on in a single layer, sprinkle them with sugar, then put them under a broiler (at a distance,if you're able to adjust) so the juice of the orange and the sugar combined into caramel. But I've never done it- this is all conjecture.

I guess my aim would be to get pieces that hold their shape, but have a slightly crisped golden layer on top, with some juices that will have escaped from the oranges slightly thickened.

You need to use a wide frying pan, at least 11 inches.

1 large or 2 medium navel oranges (seedless oranges work the best)

use about a cup or orange juice, a cup of sugar and a dash of cinnamon.

Also grate a tablespoon of orange zest and set aside.

bring this mixture to a boil - it shouldn't take long - and boil for 4-5 minutes, until you see large bubbles that hold their shape for a couple of seconds.

Place the orange slices in a single layer over the bottom of the pan and as soon as the syrup comes back up to a boil, set a timer for 5 minutes.

Turn the slices a couple of times, using tongs.

Meanwhile place a sheet of parchment or waxed paper, on a cooling rack and as soon as the 5 minutes is up, transfer the slices to the rack.

Return the syrup to the heat, add the orange zest, reduce the heat and continue cooking for 3 minutes, while stirring fairly oven, if you see crystallization at the edges, brush it down with a wet pastry brush.

Pour the syrup into a pyrex measure or other microwaveable cup or into a small saucepan if you don't use a microwave.

When ready to serve or use as a topping on a cake, cheesecake or other dessert, arrange the slices, warm the syrup and pour enough over the slices to glaze them completely.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Caramel oranges! My mother's 70s dinner party standby. Heavenly! I've been making them again too recently, they're great after heavy main courses (think I served them after short ribs + mashed potato last time).

agree with upthread, you need to let the sugar go much, much darker - really, verging on burnt - the contrast of the bitter caramel with the sweet orange is fantastic. But you're on the right lines!

or you can make what I call 'stained glass pudding', which is simply pouring the caramelized sugar (made with no water at all) into an oiled baking tray, waiting til cooled then smashing into splintery shards. Strew this over the sliced oranges. Add some halved seedless red grapes. Voila. Best with brandysnaps filled with whipped cream :smile: If you have any leftovers, the hardened caramel will melt into the orange juice in the fridge overnight + you will get the result you're looking for in Option A.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese