• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Callebaut vs Cacao Barry Extra Brut cocoa powder

merstar

Although Cacao Barry is the French Division of Callebaut, is there any noticeable difference in taste between the two cocoas? Has anyone compared them side by side?

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

They are two very differently positioned products. The quality standards on the Cocoa Barry product will be very different than the quality standards on the standard BC product (your supplier can help you with exactly what these difference are). Flavors will be similar between similar product types in the two lines. You won't find a 22/24 product in the BC line, nor will you find thermophile negative product if that's important to you.

They are two very differently positioned products.  The quality standards on the Cocoa Barry product will be very different than the quality standards on the standard BC product (your supplier can help you with exactly what these difference are).  Flavors will be similar between similar product types in the two lines.  You won't find a 22/24 product in the BC line, nor will you find thermophile negative product if that's important to you.

Thanks, Sebastian, I'm just looking for a small supply for home use, and don't know if my source will be able to provide me with this information. I've emailed them, and will see. As far as 22/24, if you're referring to the fat content, it appears both cocoas contain that amount:

http://www.chocosphere.com/Html/Products/callebaut.html

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 10 years later...

I was talking to a sales rep at Callebaut yesterday and he told me that the Brute is very different than the original Callebaut cocoa. The extra Brute is much darker in color and has a fuller and deeper flavor. It is completely different product. Extra Brute is made by Barry and the other by Callebaut. The companies merged under the umbrella of Barry-Callebaut, but each one continues to make their individual products. I just bought Bendsdorp which is manufactured by Callebaut. The rep said it is a higher quality cocoa, than the original Callebaut. Bendsdorp is almost as good as Valrhona or Pernigotti. I am not tin a rush to try the regular Callebaut, if Bendsdorp is better, and it's still not my favorite. I am am about to order to Extra Brute and am very anxious to try it. I will report back then.

1 hour ago, mermaid1111 said:

I was talking to a sales rep at Callebaut yesterday and he told me that the Brute is very different than the original Callebaut cocoa. The extra Brute is much darker in color and has a fuller and deeper flavor. It is completely different product. Extra Brute is made by Barry and the other by Callebaut. The companies merged under the umbrella of Barry-Callebaut, but each one continues to make their individual products. I just bought Bendsdorp which is manufactured by Callebaut. The rep said it is a higher quality cocoa, than the original Callebaut. Bendsdorp is almost as good as Valrhona or Pernigotti. I am not tin a rush to try the regular Callebaut, if Bendsdorp is better, and it's still not my favorite. I am am about to order to Extra Brute and am very anxious to try it. I will report back then.

Make sure to try a blind tasting. There's a public perception that darker color = more flavor, and it simply is not true. I personally have not tried the Extra Brute, so I have no idea what it's like. But, I recall being at a trade event and tasting various things, and my favorite cocoa was lighter in color than most. (and it had a deep, complex taste)

Also, welcome to eG!

The Callebaut salesperson said that the taste is much fuller and stronger. Also going by many reviews, many others feel the same. But I will know when it arrives!!! It just happens to be darker, but supposedly stronger too. I just wish there was a  smaller amount than a $20  bag, to experiment with.