• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

granola slice?

Dejah

Hubby was at a retreat and the caterer served a dainty/slice for dessert. He brought a piece home for me to try and I loved it!

The "dainty" was no dainty by my definition when you bite into it. It didn't seem to have a lot of flour, but full of coconut, walnut pieces, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries. It was not too sweet and not too rich.

It seems to be granola based. Anyone have a recipe for this?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Sounds like a slice of a giant macaroon...coconut, nuts, fruit, egg whites...

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How dry was it?  I'm wondering because it could be a very dense granola quickbread that has been double baked like a biscotti.

It held together well, but crumbled a bit when I bit into it. Is there a recipe in eGullet for what you described?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hubby was at a retreat and the caterer served a dainty/slice for dessert. He brought a piece home for me to try and I loved it!

The "dainty" was no dainty by my definition when you bite into it. It didn't seem to have a lot of flour, but full of coconut, walnut pieces, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries. It was not too sweet and not too rich.

If it was a baked product it sounds like the fruitcake I had from Alice Medrich's new cookbook.

If it wasn't baked it sounds like a "birdseed bar". Googling for that recipe name will give many many recipes.

flavor floozy

If it wasn't baked it sounds like a "birdseed bar". Googling for that recipe name will give many many recipes.

Thanks! I think the bird seed bar is the one. Now I won't have to chase down the caterer. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

If it was a baked product it sounds like the fruitcake I had from Alice Medrich's new cookbook.

This reminds me of a product called "Aussie Bites", which are shaped like mini muffins and contain rolled oats, butter, whole grain flour, sugar, honey, dried cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, coconut, soda, and salt. These are definitely baked, a tiny bit on the dry side, and positively addictive. :wub: I would love to find the recipe, but perhaps it's better that I have to buy them..... :wink:

This reminds me of a product called "Aussie Bites", which are shaped like mini muffins and contain rolled oats, butter, whole grain flour, sugar, honey, dried cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, coconut, soda, and salt. These are definitely baked, a tiny bit on the dry side, and positively addictive. :wub: I would love to find the recipe, but perhaps it's better that I have to buy them..... :wink:

I googled Aussie Bites and the recipe came up. :biggrin: Maybe you won't have to buy them after all!

The recipe sounds like one I'd make as well. Thanks, baroness.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com