• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brasato and such

Snoader

I have made a couple of Brasato or similar kind of red wine braised beefs. I usually make them entirely on the stove top, but I was wondering if results are better if the actual braising takes place in the oven (as many recipes recommend).

I looked around a couple of recipes and I am surprised by the range of recommendations for temperature and time. I understand that for braises a couple of minutes don't count, but I was wondering what experiences people here have with different times and temperatures (and whether they prefer oven or stove top).

Obviously I am going for a brasato that is not too dry but tender. I am wondering if a low temperature with longer time is better (slightly towards the ideas that are applied in sous vide cooking without the complicated technology, more old-fashioned).

A quick spin through the eGCI course on braising will make the case for low heat and lengthy braises in general. Since you can control the heat more effectively in a low oven, I think it's preferable for all such braises.

How does a brasato differ from a daube? Besides, you know, the $140 bottle of barolo?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts