• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain/Picard Dinner at Liverpool House

rcianci

I was there and it was also my first time at liverpool. It was somewhat low key, Dave was behind the bar and Fred on kitchen duty.

Tony made a few table visits between courses and beers. He was also dragged around a bit by tipsy women haha. He graciously signed books and made small talk.

The food was very simply prepared, but the courses were many and portions HUGE to say the least. Seating was assigned and the meal was served "family stye" where a platter of each course was brought out and members at the table share.

Looking at the chalkboard menu, it looked as though we'd choose one appetizer from a selection of 5, one main from 3, and one dessert from 2. Lo and behold, we were going to be served ALL 5 appetizers, ALL mains, and ALL desserts.

Appetizers: grilled, skewered quail and chicken livers, cold seafood (salad bowl full of cold shrimp, lobster, clams, scallops), deep fried calf brain, bruscetta with tripe, and a plate of salumi (prosciutto, salami) cheese and olives.

For mains, there was a hare lasagna, duck sausage, pasta with pig skin.

Again, all very simply prepared and presented. Not anything completely standing out, except for the vast amount.

Dessert was a chocolate tartlet and ice cream.

A glass of wine was served with each course (champagne style with apps, red Italian with main, and a dessert wine with the last courses).

Speaking with Tony, he said that he "was toast", that he had a 5:00am flight and a full schedule the next day (he was going on to do another episode of Top Chef). I think he just wanted to duck out without alot of hooplah or fanfare, which might have delayed him longer than he wanted. He just stepped out, said goodbye to a few people and hailed a cab.

I am officially envious of you rezcook. Low key though it was, I wish I could have been there.  :smile:

I'll tell you, it was a comical set of happenstance and coincidence that landed me there:

I saw a small blurb in the Gazette about Bourdain at the Carona. I made a mental note of it and promptly shredded that section of the paper and threw it out. My plan was to pick up tickets and surprise the wife.

Next day the wife asks where that section of the paper was. I shrug "I dunno..." and that was that (or so I thought).

Few days later I pick up the tickets and give them to her with a flourish. She says "I knew it......John and Mary picked up a pair FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY. That's why I wanted the paper...to hide it from you so it'd be a surprise..."

So I call Bon Apetit and ask about refunds - only return for store credit. OK, no problem, but I didn't necessarily rush out immediately just for the credit. I waited until I was in the neighbourhood, about a week later.

After getting the credit from Michelle, she asks "you guys want to join us at Liverpool for a private meal with Anthony Bourdain?...there's only 6 sopts left."

My jaw fell then started moving up and down with no sound coming out. Finally, I asked the wife to call our friends and ask if they would be interested and told Michelle to sign us up...4 of the last 6 spots...

So as with many things in life, it was a case of many coincidences that brought me to the right place at the right time.

By the way, some names have been changed in this narrative to protect the innocent.