• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Fonduta

Stevarino

I need some technical help with making "Fonduta."

Fontina Val d'Aosta, milk, butter, egg yolks, white truffle love...

Sometimes the cheese behaves badly. It gets tight, it gets grainy, its too thin...

And then... how do you eat the Fonduta?

Sorry if the topic has already been covered

Yum! Fonduta is great with vegetables, dip cooked cauliflower, asparagus spears, and potatoes. A smidgen in a leaf of grilled radicchio is awesome. Char some ciabatta for dunking. Pour leftovers over pasta.

If the cheese is getting tight and grainy, the heat is too high. I whisk the eggs over a double boiler until frothy like when making zabaglione, add a touch of cream and butter. When it's pretty hot add cheese a little at a time. Switch to low direct heat, add truffle at the end.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

As far as I remember Fonduta is the italian version of a cheese fondue - I would use bread cubes, perhaps toasted. of course you could also use other things to pick up the cheese.

In terms of getting the cheese 'right' - I think you have to be careful with the order of adding ingredients, the milk probably shouldn't be to cold. I also remember having the cheese soak in milk for some time before cooking.