• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ichon Rice Festival '07

Like what I promised earlier (and to Peter), we hightailed it to Ichon City yesterday (Oct. 26) to experience the Ichon Rice Festival. My Russian friend Oksana and her little boy Minseogi went with me and Billy on our trip.

We took the Festival's shuttle bus to the event. Here are Oksana and her boy.

gallery_48583_4432_43086.jpg

The event was held at Seolbong Park, the same venue of the Ichon Ceramic Festival.

gallery_48583_4432_264456.jpg

The Festival was jumping with people from all walks of life. In the shuttle bus, we were outnumbered by dozens of senior citizens who cackled and gabbed all the way. I just had to take a picture of these cute preschoolers.

gallery_48583_4432_63988.jpg

This huge mound of rice stalks were shaped like a hut with two huge rice scoopers.

gallery_48583_4432_43648.jpg

There were also a booth were one can don rice capes, skirts and hats. Billy thought it was funny to pose with him.

gallery_48583_4432_357515.jpg

Of course, I couldn't go to a local festival without getting a souvenir for my knickknack-crazy mother. I got her one of this tiny lucky rice scoopers to hang on the door. I got one with chili peppers attached to it.

gallery_48583_4432_346684.jpg

Next: metal works & ricecake-making

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Just near the entrance of the festival was a metal-works booth. I was fascinated with this gentleman who was intently working on a ring of metal. That's a clay kiln where he would sometimes insert the metal to bring it up to red-hot state.

gallery_48583_4432_87093.jpg

Knives and sickles to entrance Freddy Krueger.

gallery_48583_4432_68783.jpg

Iron pots beside metal hoe attachments (on the left)

gallery_48583_4432_63985.jpg

Aaah, more metal sharp thingies.

gallery_48583_4432_380725.jpg

I fell in love with these metal teapots.

gallery_48583_4432_453102.jpg

Next to the metalworks booth was the ricecake booth. And they had an authentic rice-pounding ceremony. One of the men from the crowd volunteered to weild the heavy wooden mallet.

gallery_48583_4432_319053.jpg

The women who hold the cloth where the pounded rice is kept pull the corners together to mix the pounded rice up.

gallery_48583_4432_434104.jpg

Eventually the pounded rice turns into this.

gallery_48583_4432_288064.jpg

It is really nice, soft and sticky and coated liberally with this bland powder (somebody, help?). I dare anyone to whistle after eating a mouthful of these rice treats. And yes, that is a plastic plate that the server is using to cut the hug ricecake slab.

gallery_48583_4432_261631.jpg

They were also selling these common rice cakes. Logs for deokbokki, ricecake with beans, soy beans & nuts and nut-paste filed ones.

gallery_48583_4432_32825.jpg

Also on display were these gift sets costing about $60 per box. :blink:

gallery_48583_4432_230123.jpg

I was so glad they had freebies...

gallery_48583_4432_367517.jpg

The ladies giving the freebies wore these lovely hanboks (Korean Traditional garment).

gallery_48583_4432_185889.jpg

Sights and sounds around the Rice Festival

If you do get tired walking around the festival grounds, you can always hitch a ride on this ox-cart.

gallery_48583_4432_359101.jpg

While Billy and I was walking we spied this huge rope made out of rice straws. Hmm, I wonder what it was for?

gallery_48583_4432_291451.jpg

It was for a game of tug-of-war! :biggrin: There was an announcer who called on all adults to participate. Yeah, they also manage to get some foreigners to join in.

gallery_48583_4432_46325.jpg

My son unfortunately was distracted by a frog that got caught on bundle of straw rope.

gallery_48583_4432_304391.jpg

A friendly pair of hands help catch the slippery amphibian for Billy.

gallery_48583_4432_339941.jpg

1-2-3 and away they go! Our side lost on the first round. After a brief rest, round two started and our side won! :raz:

gallery_48583_4432_248294.jpg

The older generation thought it would be best to cheer on the sidelines, with a glass of fermented rice wine.

gallery_48583_4432_325881.jpg

Acorn jelly with garlic/chili sauce plus kimchi made up for tasty accompaniment to the wine.

gallery_48583_4432_31281.jpg

Whenever one approaches a table like this, you can be sure to be offered a glass.

gallery_48583_4432_16943.jpg

By this time, Billy has wandered off and found another fun thing to do.

gallery_48583_4432_258305.jpg

And for the historic fashionistas, there's even a booth where you can dress up as a princess or benevolent prince.

gallery_48583_4432_353202.jpg

We decided to move to another part of exhibits and found more fun stuff to do. Like pounding rice.

gallery_48583_4432_238490.jpg

Or milling the grains the old-fashioned way.

gallery_48583_4432_167728.jpg

I had to take a picture of these giggling adjumas (aunts) who was having a heyday threshing rice.

gallery_48583_4432_406876.jpg

There were several stages for performances in the festival.

gallery_48583_4432_411813.jpg

Dancers with traditional drums...

gallery_48583_4432_265269.jpg

In another stage, there were puppet shows for the kiddies.

gallery_48583_4432_443059.jpg

For those who want a portrait of themselves, there were about a dozen artist ready to whip up a drawing in less than an hour.

gallery_48583_4432_105597.jpg

Next: Displays and exhibits

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

The next booth where we went to was the woven-rice products. These were manned by sullen geezers who refused to smile at any greeting. This is the weaving machine that they use.

gallery_48583_4432_127409.jpg

Grinning totem poles leer at me.

gallery_48583_4432_419227.jpg

And Billy leers at these woven animals' behind. :laugh:

gallery_48583_4432_167146.jpg

Traditional woven slippers with no size for me. :sad:

gallery_48583_4432_475907.jpg

I think this a horse and a tiny cow and farmer vignette.

gallery_48583_4432_160736.jpg

A woven man guards the entrance of the booth.

gallery_48583_4432_151052.jpg

The cape on display catches my eye. I could imagine a 16th century farmer garbed with this woven garment, bent under the pouring rain.

gallery_48583_4432_253500.jpg

A rice keeper? I have no idea.

gallery_48583_4432_143366.jpg

Beside this booth was a model of a korean house. Oksana poses with Minseogi (you can see my little rascal peering behind them).

gallery_48583_4432_453782.jpg

What great pictures, Dodie! I've been to Ichon several times, once with my mother. We had an amazing baek ban meal there with Ichon ssal. My boss drove us, and we couldn't stop for lunch until she had stopped at least three other cars and canvassed locals on the best place to take foreigners to eat true Ichon ssal. I sneaked away during the meal and paid the bill before she could get it. What a great memory!

Doddie,

Thank you for the wonderful pictures! Man, I wish I could attend then I would be in shopping heaven. I have always wanted the stone grinder, but I don't think that will happen until DH retires, and we finally get a house to permenantly settle. It is a bit unweidly, but I have always secrely wanted one since I was a kid. :wub:

I hope DH is feeling better! Sending goood thoughts and prayers! :smile:

I am still working on what I can send you via German and Korean mail. Germany doesn't make it easy. *sigh* But hopefully everything will be good, so don't give up I will send you something sometime hopefully before Christmas! :rolleyes:

the bland powder on the rice cake is kinako (don't know the korean name). It's just roasted soy bean powder and is very yummy.

I love that acorn jelly stuff, but its a pain in the butt to pick up with chopsticks bc it always falls apart. However if you are using wooden ones, it is much easier (:

does anyone know how to make acorn jelly?

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Nakji - I do know about sneaking off and paying the bill. If I don't do it, my korean friends would do it all the time. LOL :biggrin:

Milgwimper - no worries, and thanks for the t's and p's for hubby.

Sheena - aaah so that is roasted soybean powder. I see bags of that sold in the grocery stores here.

More Sights and Sounds

Remember I said that the Rice Festival is held at the same venue for the World Ceramic Festival? Well, there were ceramics on display.

gallery_48583_4432_59120.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_127286.jpg

See those teapots at the front? I love the functional handles on them.

gallery_48583_4432_144838.jpg

The green celadon vases at the back have the flying crane motif. My mom absolutely adores it.

gallery_48583_4432_384888.jpg

Now we go to the Kimchi booth. Yes, you heard me, Kimchi. Did you know that a lot of traditional mothers and grandmothers would use rice washing as an ingredient to make kimchi. That's the cloudy water that you get when you swirl the rice in in the pot.

These bags cost about $10 each.

gallery_48583_4432_388452.jpg

Free kkaetogi kimchi for tasting. Kkaetogi is made out of radish cubes. My parents brought home a couple of kilos of these kimchi when they last visited me.

gallery_48583_4432_251414.jpg

Of course, we got the common napa cabbage kimchi.

gallery_48583_4432_249406.jpg

They also had a kimchi making tutorial with ingredients ready made. Like the red-hot chili paste. Ingredients usually include ground chili powder, minced garlic, anchovy fish sauce, etc.

gallery_48583_4432_550552.jpg

Cabbages soaked and washed with rice washing water.

gallery_48583_4432_191756.jpg

The soaked cabbages thoroughly drained and rubbed with the evil-hot chili paste.

gallery_48583_4432_389553.jpg

They were also selling tangerines there for a couple of bucks per bag. I bought one for Billy and I to share on the bus ride home.

gallery_48583_4432_407687.jpg

I spied Billy in front of several pumpkins, entranced by something.

gallery_48583_4432_299385.jpg

He was mesmerized by this - a taffy pulling machine. It was a booth selling pumpkin taffy candy.

gallery_48583_4432_123163.jpg

Here's the taffy candy rolled into logs and dusted with that roasted soybean powder.

gallery_48583_4432_119439.jpg

So we went on further into the fairgrounds and came upon a booth showing how a rice paddy environment supports the ecosystem. They had frogs, eels and bugs in this little rice paddy showcase.

Here is Billy trying to get one of the eels.

gallery_48583_4432_120531.jpg

Other kids joined in the splishy-splashy fun.

gallery_48583_4432_258856.jpg

One of the kids caught an eel and shows it to Billy. All the fun stopped when an official came over and told the kids that they couldn't catch the eels. Oops. :blink:

Next: Antiques and so much more

I think that pumpkin candy is called "yut" or I might be thinking of another taffy like candy. I remember that when I went to the korean folk village some guy was making a molasses like taffy candy that almost tore my fillings out when I ate it.

that korean guy making the candy also looks mighty cute in his kitty apron (:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

the bland powder on the rice cake is kinako (don't know the korean name).  It's just roasted soy bean powder and is very yummy.

I love that acorn jelly stuff, but its a pain in the butt to pick up with chopsticks bc it always falls apart.  However if you are using wooden ones, it is much easier (:

I think the Korean name for the powder on rice cakes (and sometimes on paat bing su) is call misu garu (misu powder),

For muk, they usually sell acorn/muk powder in stores, which you mix at home with water, heat, and pour out to set, like jello (pm me for a recipe that I have if you like).

Doddie, thanks for the great pictures, and ignore that hubby of yours and keep posting!

I think that pumpkin candy is called "yut" or I might be thinking of another taffy like candy.  I remember that when I went to the korean folk village some guy was making a molasses like taffy candy that almost tore my fillings out when I ate it.

that korean guy making the candy also looks mighty cute in his kitty apron (:

Yup, Yoonhi says it's yut (yeot if you follow the traffic sign transliteration). The pumpkin (or zucchini) yut is lighter and fluffier than the regular stuff.

Man, I wish we'd stayed another week for this!

the bland powder on the rice cake is kinako (don't know the korean name).  It's just roasted soy bean powder and is very yummy.

I love that acorn jelly stuff, but its a pain in the butt to pick up with chopsticks bc it always falls apart.  However if you are using wooden ones, it is much easier (:

I think the Korean name for the powder on rice cakes (and sometimes on paat bing su) is call misu garu (misu powder),

For muk, they usually sell acorn/muk powder in stores, which you mix at home with water, heat, and pour out to set, like jello (pm me for a recipe that I have if you like).

Doddie, thanks for the great pictures, and ignore that hubby of yours and keep posting!

Yoonhi thinks the name is kong garu - which translates out as soy bean powder. This usually has some sugar in it to sweeten it. You take the steamed glutinous rice powder, between/kneeded when hot, flattened, and then rolled in the soy bean flour - injeolmi.

Yoonhi remembers misu garu is a powder of about 12 different grains that you get powdered, and then mix it with water to drink.

(now she's going into a "my mom used to make all of this...." mode)

Yoonhi thinks the name is kong garu - which translates out as soy bean powder. This usually has some sugar in it to sweeten it. You take the steamed glutinous rice powder, between/kneeded when hot, flattened, and then rolled in the soy bean flour - injeolmi.

Yoonhi remembers misu garu is a powder of about 12 different grains that you get powdered, and then mix it with water to drink.

(now she's going into a "my mom used to make all of this...." mode)

I love Misu garu! I love mixing it with a little hot water to get it to somewhat "dissolve" with some sugar, then add really cold water and ice. SO refreshing on a hot day!

Doddie,

Wow catching eels and frogs sounds like a kids version of heaven! :smile: I love the ceramics, I like alot of the Korean ceramics, but yeah the celadon has a special place in my soul, but not in my pocketbook! :unsure::rolleyes:

Part Three of my Report

The Modern and the Old...

A rice polishing machine, I guess this is the small portable kind.

gallery_48583_4432_288759.jpg

There was a huge exhibit of antiques. Here are farm implements and a still-working loom.

gallery_48583_4432_161912.jpg

Jars, a pump handle, and more farm implements. I love the wooden carry-all.

gallery_48583_4432_281923.jpg

Machetes, saws and mortar & pestle...

gallery_48583_4432_135615.jpg

Brass (?) rice pot with small rice bowls with covers. I adore the look of worn, well-used wooden spoon. Like a dozen grandmas have used it to stir and scrape the pot.

gallery_48583_4432_352545.jpg

Charcoal irons! I remember we had one of these when I was growing up and our maid would actually prefer it than the electric one. Of course, when the charcoal spits glowing embers, it leaves a soot-blackened hole on your shirt. :sad:

gallery_48583_4432_208115.jpg

An old phone, old lamps and I have no idea what those tiny teapots on the stick at the back are for.

gallery_48583_4432_334117.jpg

A chinese medicine cabinet.

gallery_48583_4432_130152.jpg

A wooden parasol and a delightful dresser.

gallery_48583_4432_354918.jpg

They even had a display of old korean currency.

gallery_48583_4432_334886.jpg

Sheena - I tasted one of the pumpkin yut and it stuck in my upper molar for a minute before vigorous tongue wrestling managed to unstuck it for me to just melt in my mouth.

Seisei - my hubby actually whined "are you gonna post ALL those pictures? Do you really HAVE TO? LOL

Peter - Billy kept asking me to call you to bring Serena to the rice festival. He was disappointed to find that you guys already left Korea.

Milgwimper - my mother loves celadon but could only afford a small vase. I could only afford a chopstick rest.

Ichon Rice Products

Here's one of the most popular rice brands in Korea - the Ichon Rice. The logo actually has a korean king on it to signify that this kind of rice was used exclusively for the king and the royal family's consumption in the olden times.

gallery_48583_4432_162224.jpg

Unhusked rice grains.

gallery_48583_4432_184689.jpg

Husked and polished rice.

gallery_48583_4432_87740.jpg

Displays of rice plants in different growth stages.

gallery_48583_4432_64261.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_38965.jpg

When you have rice, you make rice cakes. I've seen rice cakes all over (Philippines, China, etc.) but have never seen such prettier rice cakes than the ones in Korea.

gallery_48583_4432_264931.jpg

Will you look at those tiny grape designs?

gallery_48583_4432_50961.jpg

Ricecake with pumpkin rose garnish.

gallery_48583_4432_259426.jpg

Masquerading as persimmons...

gallery_48583_4432_340862.jpg

Some of these look like pretty pin cushions.

gallery_48583_4432_411400.jpg

Another one that is literally a cake.

gallery_48583_4432_296107.jpg

Whenever this is served in a birthday party, I usually hoard the black ones - my favorite! :wub:

gallery_48583_4432_517629.jpg

Pretty folded ones.

gallery_48583_4432_62701.jpg

Decorated with cherry blossoms.

gallery_48583_4432_4151.jpg

And more pretty cakes...

gallery_48583_4432_176471.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder how they cut these cakes up? Rice cakes are pretty sticky and hard to cut.

gallery_48583_4432_239125.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_242025.jpg

Rice cake with tea sets plating and presentation

Cakes in this delightful iron duck.

gallery_48583_4432_348743.jpg

Lined up in this graceful ceramic boat.

gallery_48583_4432_251480.jpg

Nestled in this glass swan.

gallery_48583_4432_82158.jpg

Isn't this so pretty?

gallery_48583_4432_23720.jpg

Now we get to the jook (rice gruel/porridge) presentations.

gallery_48583_4432_225442.jpg

These porridge has chestnuts in it.

gallery_48583_4432_64310.jpg

And we have more rice cakes. Pardon the glare as all the exhibits had clear wrap around them.

gallery_48583_4432_330659.jpg

Hmm these are preserved lotus root.

gallery_48583_4432_199671.jpg

And I think this is peanut brittle.

gallery_48583_4432_384714.jpg

Rice puffs!

gallery_48583_4432_236355.jpg

Candied apple peel rosettes.

gallery_48583_4432_242819.jpg

More rice puffs! I love the sesame coated ones.

gallery_48583_4432_142335.jpg

An elegant tea presentation.

gallery_48583_4432_452967.jpg

Candied ginseng

gallery_48583_4432_438649.jpg

More rice cakes and desserts...

Twisted Multi-colored Ddeok

gallery_48583_4432_9140.jpg

Pepita Squares (Squash Seeds)

gallery_48583_4432_89856.jpg

Flower sweets with Pine nuts

gallery_48583_4432_406857.jpg

Sliced Ddeok with Walnut and Sesame Seeds

gallery_48583_4432_100185.jpg

Rice cakes with pressed design

gallery_48583_4432_231775.jpg

There were also various cooked rice with mixed ingredients. Like these rice balls with red bean.

gallery_48583_4432_41033.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_228461.jpg

Steamed rice with squash...

gallery_48583_4432_164583.jpg

Steamed rice with peas...

gallery_48583_4432_383035.jpg

Rice with minced mushrooms. Yum!

gallery_48583_4432_232063.jpg

And steamed with chestnuts.

gallery_48583_4432_84802.jpg

Different grains used to mix with rice. From the left, we have mixed grains (peas, barley, millet, etc), barley and black rice.

gallery_48583_4432_51427.jpg

Here's a delightful way to present rice. Steamed in a squash.

gallery_48583_4432_390402.jpg

I have no clue what this rice bowl contains.

gallery_48583_4432_103398.jpg

Cooked in a stone pot with ginko nuts, dates and ginseng.

gallery_48583_4432_419575.jpg

This one looks like it has chinese ingredients in it: carrots, leeks, mushrooms, etc.

gallery_48583_4432_366145.jpg

Wrapped in lettuce leaves.

gallery_48583_4432_359685.jpg

A bibimbap bowl.

gallery_48583_4432_84773.jpg

Rice with sweet potato cubes.

gallery_48583_4432_95038.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_13224.jpg

Then there were more stuff on display for mixing with rice to make it more nutritious. Like millet grains.

gallery_48583_4432_220610.jpg

Hmm, anyone got an idea on what these grains are?

gallery_48583_4432_12856.jpg

Black rice or what we call "pirurutong" in the Philippines.

gallery_48583_4432_39461.jpg

Plain rice grains.

gallery_48583_4432_87440.jpg

Let's end this session with an elegant table display.

gallery_48583_4432_120067.jpg

Fondant Cakes

There was a cake booth with lots of colorful display cakes exhibited.

gallery_48583_4432_400174.jpg

Fondant high heels, anyone?

gallery_48583_4432_365331.jpg

A bed cake...

gallery_48583_4432_250576.jpg

A baby cake for a little girl.

gallery_48583_4432_418546.jpg

Petit fours?

gallery_48583_4432_446235.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_352041.jpg

A chocolate creation...

gallery_48583_4432_235745.jpg

A pair of parrots with a rabbit. :smile:

gallery_48583_4432_118399.jpg

An island girl?

gallery_48583_4432_380041.jpg

Woodland animals...

gallery_48583_4432_143415.jpg

I see a monkey, a dolphin and an elephant on this cake.

gallery_48583_4432_37892.jpg

Food, Glorious Food (as sung by the prehistoric vultures in Ice Age 2)

Steamed and then Grilled Corn

gallery_48583_4432_72857.jpg

Crispy Pa-Jeon (Vegetable pankcakes) - I wanna fish out that tentacle and munch on it.

gallery_48583_4432_299250.jpg

Fiery-hot Ddeokbukki

gallery_48583_4432_370586.jpg

Japanese bean cakes.

gallery_48583_4432_249417.jpg

Deep-fried pork strips

gallery_48583_4432_445974.jpg

Roasted pig... (tummy rumbling with hunger now)

gallery_48583_4432_480254.jpg

And we have the restaurant tents...

gallery_48583_4432_149303.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_388233.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_342525.jpg

This kind gentleman giggled as I took his picture. He said he like being a "food model" :laugh:

gallery_48583_4432_312470.jpg

We come to the end

I forgot to mention, there were a place to make your own carved totem poles.

gallery_48583_4432_410920.jpg

A lot of the farms in Ichon had a display stand where they displayed their produce and goodies.

This stall had brined tiny shrimp and fermented clams/fish.

gallery_48583_4432_333583.jpg

This stall I think has honey products. (Yoonhi, Peter, help?)

gallery_48583_4432_152042.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_248968.jpg

Preserved peach chunks...

gallery_48583_4432_290139.jpg

We walked on further and found vegetable stands. This one boasted it got the best dried peppers.

gallery_48583_4432_349150.jpg

Sacks of sweet potatoes

gallery_48583_4432_307144.jpg

Green peppers for munching... These are not that hot.

gallery_48583_4432_222564.jpg

Huge cabbages and daikon radishes for "kimjang" (kimchee making season).

gallery_48583_4432_248309.jpg

Dried black soybeans

gallery_48583_4432_367827.jpg

Apples in gift boxes and dried peanuts

gallery_48583_4432_111608.jpg

An array of farm produce...

gallery_48583_4432_56916.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_534.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_264864.jpg

There was a tofu stand there too. Freshly made tofu blocks were served steaming hot to customers.

gallery_48583_4432_218511.jpg

This genial gent invited me to taste his freshly made tofu. It was fantastic.

gallery_48583_4432_245550.jpg

More dried chili pepper pods.

gallery_48583_4432_260188.jpg

There was a place in the festival marked "Prayer Grounds".

gallery_48583_4432_117635.jpg

I found out that it is a place where one can write down wishes and tie it to the rope in offering to the Rice Gods. Billy ties our prayers onto the rope.

gallery_48583_4432_9517.jpg

There were more sights to see and things to do but we had to cut short our sighseeing. Billy got bit by a dog on his little finger on the right hand. The cocker spaniel was left alone by its owners and lunged at Billy when he ran near it. It was then a frantic trip to the First Aid Booth and then we set off to look for the owners.

We finally tracked the dog's owners and they insisted in bringing Billy to the nearby hospital. After another round of meds administration and bandaging, we were driven back to the bus terminal and we went home tired and exhausted. Billy's finger is now healing nicely.

I do hope y'all enjoyed my report. I can't wait for the next Rice Festival.

We come to the end

A lot of the farms in Ichon had a display stand where they displayed their produce and goodies.

This stall had brined tiny shrimp and fermented clams/fish.

gallery_48583_4432_333583.jpg

This stall I think has honey products. (Yoonhi, Peter, help?)

gallery_48583_4432_152042.jpg

gallery_48583_4432_248968.jpg

We walked on further and found vegetable stands. This one boasted it got the best dried peppers.

gallery_48583_4432_349150.jpg

Green peppers for munching... These are not that hot.

gallery_48583_4432_222564.jpg

There was a tofu stand there too. Freshly made tofu blocks were served steaming hot to customers.

gallery_48583_4432_218511.jpg

This genial gent invited me to taste his freshly made tofu. It was fantastic.

gallery_48583_4432_245550.jpg

More dried chili pepper pods.

gallery_48583_4432_260188.jpg

I found out that it is a place where one can write down wishes and tie it to the rope in offering to the Rice Gods. Billy ties our prayers onto the rope.

gallery_48583_4432_9517.jpg

There were more sights to see and things to do but we had to cut short our sighseeing. Billy got bit by a dog on his little finger on the right hand. The cocker spaniel was left alone by its owners and lunged at Billy when he ran near it. It was then a frantic trip to the First Aid Booth and then we set off to look for the owners.

We finally tracked the dog's owners and they insisted in bringing Billy to the nearby hospital. After another round of meds administration and bandaging, we were driven back to the bus terminal and we went home tired and exhausted. Billy's finger is now healing nicely.

I do hope y'all enjoyed my report. I can't wait for the next Rice Festival.

I hope Billy is doing well, and I am so sorry your fun was cut so soon. :sad: I hope he heals up soon. :smile:

I love celadon ceramics but it is so expensive! The chopstick rest sounds really pretty. The last time we were in korea the only thing I could afford to do was look at them! :rolleyes: Ahhh fermented fish products.**sigh** I miss the fermented raw squid, but I haven't seen it here in the one Korean grocery store I found, but I did find the shrimps! :smile:

The Lady at the booth is selling strawberry jam and plum something...I can't figure out what yuk (?) gi su means. She is also selling gochujang and dwenjang and another type of dwenjang product chung gukjang. If I remember correctly it is stronger than normal dwenjang. :unsure:

The peppers dried and fresh look so beautiful! Not as tempting as the food. I would have to agree with you on wanting to snitch the tenticle from the pa jun! The deokbokki looks so good, and moist and chewy :wub: Fresh tofu is so great! I love the stuff. The roasted pork is so calling my name right now though. I am sure I will be having piggy dreams. :raz:

I loved the fact the adjusshi liked being a food model! :laugh:

The sliced deok with walnuts in it reminds me of my wedding. I had a condensed version of the Korean wedding, and on the wedding table we had dried apricots stuffed with walnuts and sliced. Yeah. My father in law thought it was a match made in heaven. :laugh: He ate most of our wedding display of them and the pine nuts with raisins. My mother in law and father in law never had pinenuts before and were amazed that someone took the time to skewer the raisin and pinenut on a toothpick. :smile:

The ddeok displays are beautiful, and it reminds me how much I miss deok! :hmmm: The rice looks beautiful too, and wish I could find new rice here. Unfortunately I have no idea what that mysterious grain is, but it is pretty.

I really like your photograph of the rice on the wooden disk plate. The lighting is so soft, and the rice looks so beautiful. Almost like pearls but translucent...Okay I am babbling but I love that photograph. :smile:

Corrected for spelling X2 :hmmm:

Edited by milgwimper (log)