• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday lunch in Olympia (wa)

I just moved to this part of the state (Oly) and am in desperate need of a good place for lunch this Sunday. Anyone got a favorite nice little cafe?

My companion is celiac so we're looking for a restaurant that can pull off a glutenfree meal that involves more than removing the bread from the table.

Thoughts?

Can't help in Olympia - though it may be possible to eat Pho?

Are you really a baker? Ouch.

In Seattle, Gluten Free Girl has a website that might offer suggestions - if you get serious, and want dinner, there is Impromptu Wine Bar & Cafe - fully gluten free dining.

http://impromptuwinebar.com/

tsquare,

Yes, really a baker but I'm not the celiac.

Pho is a thought, will check for places.

Want a laugh? The lunch is with Shauna (aka GlutenFree Girl) and she's as blank on Olympia options as I am. I'll obviously have to come back and tell everyone what we figured out.

Oh, in that case - you might try the Italian place by the market - maybe they can try to help. I think it is called Mercato? High risk of cross contaimination with pizza and pasta on the menu, but one of the nicer spots in town. Some seemingly gluten free small plates.

THere is a pretty good bakery closer to downtown - but I don't recommend it for Shauna.

You'd think there might be something near Evergreen College, but I know nothing about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel badly I missed this let me know if you are still looking for someplace to eat in Oly or Tacoma

Mercado's is decent by the market and they have things there that are gluten free but you have to look closely ...

Ricardo's in Lacy will modify anything if you ask

gluten free is not as hard as it sounds here ..anything Asian ...some of the Italian places have a decent bowl of ciopino ....Oly has a few foody treasures ... if you are still interested ? Mexican is a good option in both Oly and Tacoma ...

High end Low end?

Seafood?

there are many very good and very reasonable Korean and Vietnamese options in Tacoma a couple of good Indian places

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I realized that after I posted and wanted to stipulate that my friend has Celiac and we do mostly Vietnamese and Korean ..finding it easy because soy sauce is not heavily used in either and you can really just ask not to put it in ..then rice noodles are a great option ...

I wonder that too and would love to know..if it is someplace new I can take my friend!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet