• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon Mousse and Other Garde Manger Challenges

Polar Bear

I am trying to make a bacon mousse and am a little concerned with how the texture is going to work out. Is there anyone out there who can help me with this problem? and also I am a rabid garde manger enthusiast and would love to hear any stories or recipes involving garde manger food.

Well, the basic procedure for making a mousse is to puree the base (meat, fish, veg, whatever) and fold it into the cream or whites with the gelatin.

I would cook the bacon, puree in a processor with a little cream (or whatever), then run the puree through a tamis to make it smooth. I've never done this with bacon, but I'd pretty much do it with any other mousse, so I'd use that for the texture problem.

Additional rendered bacon fat might add a little additional flavor, just make sure that you have the right amount of gelatin.

I dunno if I helped, but good luck.

Again, if you are worried about the texture, run it through a tamis a couple of times.

I would infuse the bacon flavor in your cream.  Cook off a bunch of smoked bacon, chop finely, then heat it in the cream.  Strain off the bacon after you get the desired amount of flavor, then go from there.

What would the protein be if I used a infused cream? I'm wondering if cooked bacon will set up? I guess I might have to run a couple of tests and variables.

I would infuse the bacon flavor in your cream.  Cook off a bunch of smoked bacon, chop finely, then heat it in the cream.  Strain off the bacon after you get the desired amount of flavor, then go from there.

What would the protein be if I used a infused cream? I'm wondering if cooked bacon will set up? I guess I might have to run a couple of tests and variables.

some nice trotters would have all the gelatin you need

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Several ways to approach the mousse:

1. Make a ham mousse and add rendered chopped bacon.

2. Use Canadian back bacon and proceed to make the mousse.

For the mousse:

1.Use cream cheese, cream and gelatin.

2. Use bechamel, cream, and gelatin.

3. Use mayonnaise, cream, gelatin.