• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mi Rinconcito Mexicano

Miami Danny

I love restaurants that 'hide in plain sight'. Places that you may pass but not really notice for one reason or another. Maybe the storefront is hidden, or the street is grubby, or the neighborhood's questionable, etc., etc. Mi Rinconcito is on Calle Ocho in Little Havana, and the entrance is so non-descript that even though I've eaten here dozens of times, I still drove right by last Sunday and had to go around the block again. It is authentic, the owner is from Hidalgo, and if you order even a simple, common item like chicken quesadillas, they will surprise you. Corn tortillas folded over freshly chopped and cooked chicken, and enough melted cheese but not so much you're drowning in it. The corn tortilla is crisp, and the beans on the side are light-there is enough pico de gallo and guacamole to condimentize, but I like to eat them on separate forkfuls, the better to enjoy their fresh zip. And cold Tecate in cans:Mi Rinconcito

There is a great picture of their menudo, and if you go to the Sun Post homepage, there is another great picture of their pozole with what I think is a foot.

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

• 2 weeks later...

My Mexican-born parents just moved to Miami from Atlanta where we have plenty of quality Mexican restaurants. Since they have moved, finding good Mexican food in Miami has been a huge problem.

I am visiting so I took them to this place based on your article. My parents were very excited at the prospect of eating some menudo and tacos.

I have to say we were all pretty disappointed. My mother had the menudo which she found to be quite bland even with the addition of of salt, spices, etc. My pozole had a tablespoon of hominy and it should be full of hominy traditionally. The broth had no depth or salt as it should.

Tortillas were from a package and meh.

Gorditas were solid as they were made from maseca and not store-bought.

Meats, like the asada and lengua, were just okay.

The one saving grace of this place is that they have pastor on the spit which is a treasure whenever you find it. The meat was very flavorful and lean. I just wish they had some better tortillas.

If you do go, get the gorditas and pastor.

Not a bad find, but definitely not the stellar Mexican food this Mexican family was hoping for.

Keep up your search and please keep us posted.

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Just asking, but is this decent Mexican without swimming in cilantro? I don't like cilantro, except in very measured portions and only a hint.

just a little here and there. Also, if you check out the pix from my article, you'll see tons of hominy (and a foot) in the pozole, and loads of tripe in the menudo, which was pretty hearty the last time I ate there (last week). I barely mentioned the al pastor, due to length (Anne-this article started out at over 2000 words, whittled down to 600-ouch!) but you are right BG-it is immaculate.