• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gumbo

col klink

It makes such good sense. Somehow, I'd never seen this tip (or maybe I had, and it didn't sink in) until I stumbled across a YouTube vid of Ms. Tooker doing a roux.

Community cookbooks are great. Someone should do a thread on community and Junior League cookbooks. A hundred years ago (well....the 1970s) I had a couple of spiral-bound Louisiana community cookbooks — one from Baton Rouge (with a name I've forgotten) and the other called Jambalaya.

It makes such good sense. Somehow, I'd never seen this tip (or maybe I had, and it didn't sink in) until I stumbled across a YouTube vid of Ms. Tooker doing a roux.

Community cookbooks are great. Someone should do a thread on community and Junior League cookbooks. A hundred years ago (well....the 1970s) I had a couple of spiral-bound Louisiana community cookbooks — one from Baton Rouge (with a name I've forgotten) and the other called Jambalaya.

The Baton Rouge book is River Road Recipes, which has multiple spin-offs (I, II, III, IV). More than 1.9 million copies in print, it's the best selling community cookbook series in the nation. If you're into community cookbooks, check out the Tabasco Community Cookbook hall of fame.

Great stuff, all. Thanks.

While we're on the subject, Poppy Tooker has an interesting tip for making dark roux that I never see in a gumbo recipes. She makes a peanut-butter-colored roux and adds the trinity in stages, beginning with onions only. As the onions caramelize, the roux continues to darken. Only after. the roux reaches the desired shade of darkness does she add the celery and green pepper.

She argues that adding the trinity in one swell foop releases too much liquid for the onions to caramelize, and that caramelized onions add depth of flavor.

That's John Besh's technique in his "My New Orleans" cookbook. I'd not heard of it either, and tried it when I made his gumbo recipe the first time. It's a great tip, makes the flavor even deeper and more layered.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Pierogi, do you like the Besh book? I enjoyed the sample pages I read on Amazon, and the book looks beautiful.

Hey Brooks,

Yes. It's worthwhile for sure. Paul Prudhomme's "Louisiana Kitchen" is still my Bible for that cuisine, but Besh's book is visually stunning and has some recipes I've fallen in love with. It's very different from Prudhomme's, but I'm still very glad I have it.

That said, there are a lot, a *LOT* of recipes in it that are very "restaurant-y"....lots of steps and involved preparation that I look at and think..."yeah, I'd eat that at 'August' but not gunna make it at home". There are also a lot of recipes that are made with local, southern Louisiana ingredients that aren't available elsewhere....mayhaws and quinces and buster crabs and fresh, live crawfish. Prudhomme offers alternatives where he can, Besh is more like, find the authentic stuff. Which I appreciate, but can't necessarily accomplish.

For a basic, introduction to the cuisine, I'd recommend "Louisiana Kitchen" hands down, and it would be one of the 3 or 4 books I'd rescue if the house burnt down. For the next level, Besh is a winner, but look at it as "fine cuisine" New Orleans, and not the basics. Besh's gumbo, red beans and rice and brown butter fig tart, though, have become standards in my kitchen. His jambalaya is also good, and though I haven't tried his etoufee, I'm planning on it.

Hope this helps....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Very helpful, Pierogi.

For someone like me who loves reading cookbooks but is not, in all honesty, an experienced cook, it sounds like Louisiana Kitchen might be a better way to learn the ropes.

So.....Chef Paul it is! Again, thanks.

Edited by BrooksNYC (log)

• 11 years later...

You must not stop stirring…….The best advice I can offer about making gumbo is, before you start making the roux, put the dog outside, sequester the children somewhere safe, empty your bladder and open a beer.😃

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

The best advice I can offer about making gumbo is, before you start making the roux, put the dog outside, sequester the children somewhere safe, empty your bladder and open a beer.😃

Yep. That's almost exactly what Fifi said😄 

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

My roux always turns out thinner.  I think flour loses some of it’s thickening power as the starch gets heat applied to it.  But I am no food scientist.

That's correct. The darker the roux, the lesser the thickening power.

(...or at least, so I was taught in culinary school...)

• Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

(...or at least, so I was taught in culinary school...)

Did they ever say anything about soft wheat flour versus hard wheat flour? The only flour that I can get here in Costa Rica is soft wheat and it doesn't seem to thicken worth a darn.

16 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

My roux always turns out thinner.  I think flour loses some of it’s thickening power as the starch gets heat applied to it.  But I am no food scientist.

I read somewhere to save a bit of the roux when it is more blonde and add at the end for a bit of thickening power - seemed to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

But that's what filé and/or okra are for!

True, but where I live, neither file or okra are easy to find! I did buy file in New Orleans when I was there but it's long since gone and I am not a big fan of okra. You do what you gotta do.